LAN will not work... Please help!

I have a problem. I decided to connect 2 computer to each other and the 'net. The computers can both use the internet but when I try to create a net work between them, it seems they can't see each other. How do I fix this? I have WinXP Pro on both PCs. I've tried turning Personal Firewall on and off, checking that the workgroup name is the same. I've tried using the network connection setup wizard. All to no avvail. Can someone help me???

diagram.gif

I had this same issue last night doing the exact same set up as you. What I did to get it working was 1. use the network wizard, choose other, then select the first option. Ignore the warning and complete the set up doing the same thing on all the computers. Also make sure to disable the XP firewall. Also make sure each computer is using a unique computer name but all having the same workgroup name. Reboot all the computers. I then set access rights for each computer in Norton Internet Security 2003 and the LAN worked great.

I know my explanation is not the best but go through it, and just go step by step.

Originally posted by spitz_firez

i am in the same situation. How do u disable the xp firewall???

Control Panel,

Network Connections,

open properties for Local Area Connection (or whatever it's called),

under the Advanced tab uncheck the box that says "Protect Windows Xp.... (or something to that extent)

----------------------------------

BTW how do I enable NetBIOS and filesharing?

Originally posted by andrewfee

shouldnt the modem be going into one of the pcs seeing as its a hub, or do u have two ips on the line?

I don't know. The internet works fine on both PCs. Just won't recognize each other.

edit: Toyed around with my LAN connection. Seems I didn't have NetBIOS installed. Works fine now. Thanks to all who helped out.

So in my network places, and then entire network you cannot see the other computer?

Do you have File and Printer Sharing installed?

In theory you should be able to see both computers with the way you have it hooked up. I've had a system simlar setup the way you do for testing when taking my MS courses.

If I think of anything else, i'll make a post. Good luck