Living in cousin's house for 3 weeks, need to set up Internet

Hey guys. Near the end of October I'm gonna have to live with my cousin's family because my parents are taking a vacation and I still have to go to school.

My cousin has ADSL, and I'm wondering how I can share the internet with him.

I know a router is one option, and another network card is another option, but I really want to refrain from buying anything because I'm only going to be using it for 3 weeks. Any wacky suggestions that might work?

What I'm thinking is this:

My cousin got this device with his modem that has 2 phone jacks that merge into one.

Something like this:

phone.jpg

As you can see, I'm thinking that I connect my network cable into one slot in the device, and my cousin's into the other, and then that device has a phone line on the other side connected to it, which leads into the modem, which then leads from the modem into a phone jack in the wall. Will this work?

*note*

This device is meant to have the modem go in while having a phone on the same line.

If not, are there any other cheap/free options available?

I don't quite understand your explanation but I don't think that will work. I'm pretty sure you need a router to share an internet connection, and definietly at least need a network card for your system, but those can be bought for $15 US.

your cousin's pc has an adsl connection right? his pc connects to the internet directly right?

well then you just have to set up a home networking and share his internet connection.

Originally posted by aaron901

your cousin's pc has an adsl connection right? his pc connects to the internet directly right?

well then you just have to set up a home networking and share his internet connection.

My cousin only has ONE network card in his PC, and I also have only ONE network card in my PC

Originally posted by KiLLa3D

dude your sig is freaking me out.....that guy is scary

Haha my sig or avatar? :p

your options

#1: Router, Linksys: There only like 100bucks at futureshop, may seem a little expensive, but its a great firewall!

cable to modem--> Cat5 to router--> cat5 to all comps on network.

#2: ICS through windows: (Internet Connection Sharing), cheapest option, Requires the machine that is directly connected to the internet to have TWO nics, one nic to be connected to the net, and another to connect the two machines together, creating a network and virtual router.

cable to modem-->cat5 to machine one--> cat5 between comp one and two

Originally posted by thuggers

your options

#1: Router, Linksys: There only like 100bucks at futureshop, may seem a little expensive, but its a great firewall!

cable to modem--> Cat5 to router--> cat5 to all comps on network.

#2: ICS through windows: (Internet Connection Sharing), cheapest option, Requires the machine that is directly connected to the internet to have TWO nics, one nic to be connected to the net, and another to connect the two machines together, creating a network and virtual router.

cable to modem-->cat5 to machine one--> cat5 between comp one and two

Right on. Exactly what I was going to say. I just got a Linksys router to share our cable connection. Can be had for much less than 100 dollars. Got mine from Macmall for 60 dollars.

i use this..

one net card in each machine

and a standard hub/switch

the dsl plugs into the hubs uplink port and each comp plugs into the normal hub ports. using software firewall.

a hub is very cheap. and it will work just like this.