[Tennis] Agassi to retired after US Open

LONDON -- Andre Agassi said on Saturday he would retire from tennis after the U.S. Open this year.

"This Wimbledon will be my last and the U.S. Open will be my last tournament," the 36-year-old told a news conference.

The American, who has been struggling with a chronic back injury in recent seasons, won the first of his eight Grand Slam singles titles at Wimbledon in 1992 when he beat Goran Ivanisevic in five sets in the final.

Agassi said he had made his decision to retire several months ago but explained: "I waited until now to say something as it is only right that I say it at the place it all started."

The U.S. Open starts on Aug. 28 in New York.

Agassi plays Serbian Boris Pashanski in the Wimbledon first round in what will be his final match at the grass-court grand slam if he loses.

One of tennis' most flamboyant personalities, Agassi won the Australian Open four times, the U.S. Open twice and Wimbledon and the French Open once each.

His triumph at Roland Garros in 1999 made him only the fifth man in history to win a career Grand Slam of all four major tennis tournaments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wi...tory?id=2499080

It's the end of the era for American tennis.

wow, i don't know what to say. he had an influence on my life, i pretty much started playing tennis because of him. his posters lined my room all through high school. the man is a legend.

My favorite commercial is the one with him and Sampras playing tennis in the middle of the street in New York.

Very awsome that he is still playing and he is 36 years old. Amazing

Martina Navratilova is playing this year I think, she is 49... amazing stuff.

I live about 10mins walk from the Wimbleon Tennis courts and walked past a massive line of people camping out on the side of the road yesterday... I like tennis, but not that much lol.