Meet the browser: Opera Next

Iakobos: opera fanboy adblock, google it :ninja:

The only problem I ever had with Opera Fanboy Adblock list is it pretty much always prevents me from loading videos on Megavideo or other similar sites. Even IF I disable content blocking on megavideo, it still blocks the ad system they use, and refuses to load videos.

If anyone has a way around this definitely let me know, its the only thing that keeps me from using a decent adblock list (currently I manually block ads on sites that have them) which is a pain, but less annoying than having to view megavideo videos in another browser all together.

The only problem I ever had with Opera Fanboy Adblock list is it pretty much always prevents me from loading videos on Megavideo or other similar sites. Even IF I disable content blocking on megavideo, it still blocks the ad system they use, and refuses to load videos.

If anyone has a way around this definitely let me know, its the only thing that keeps me from using a decent adblock list (currently I manually block ads on sites that have them) which is a pain, but less annoying than having to view megavideo videos in another browser all together.

Well i use the button to toggle the contentblock on/off if i hit a site i can't see the vid's. I take the ad's with it, since it doesn't happen that often. You can toggle it off in one tab, and toggle it on in another as soon as your page is loaded.

Well i use the button to toggle the contentblock on/off if i hit a site i can't see the vid's. I take the ad's with it, since it doesn't happen that often. You can toggle it off in one tab, and toggle it on in another as soon as your page is loaded.

For some reason, if I use the mentioned adblock list, even IF I turn off content blocking, I cannot view the videos. They are still somehow blocked.....I have tried it multiple times with repeatable results, not sure why it happens but it flat out sucks....I literally cannot use the mentioned list if I want to watch videos on megavideo, I would have to remove the list and restart Opera to do so.

For some reason, if I use the mentioned adblock list, even IF I turn off content blocking, I cannot view the videos. They are still somehow blocked.....I have tried it multiple times with repeatable results, not sure why it happens but it flat out sucks....I literally cannot use the mentioned list if I want to watch videos on megavideo, I would have to remove the list and restart Opera to do so.

How are your cache settings? Maybe Opera reads the blocked file from cache, which would be just an empty file......

How are your cache settings? Maybe Opera reads the blocked file from cache, which would be just an empty file......

20mb disk cache, automatic memory cache, and that could be a possibility, I seemed to get very inconsistent results (every now and then, with content blocking disabled, I could view megavideo videos, but a majority of the time, I could not, even with content blocking disabled). It seemed the only way I could get consistent playability of megavideo videos, was if I manually blocked ads on other sites as opposed to disabling content blocking on megavideo.

Here's an image of my cache settings in opera:config (both normal cache and disk cache settings):

103euf8.jpg

2d76nvs.jpg

If you see anything obvious, or any major differences between yours and mine (that may benefit me) than please do tell, I never really bothered to look into exact Cache settings.

20mb disk cache, automatic memory cache, and that could be a possibility, I seemed to get very inconsistent results (every now and then, with content blocking disabled, I could view megavideo videos, but a majority of the time, I could not, even with content blocking disabled). It seemed the only way I could get consistent playability of megavideo videos, was if I manually blocked ads on other sites as opposed to disabling content blocking on megavideo.

Here's an image of my cache settings in opera:config (both normal cache and disk cache settings):

If you see anything obvious, or any major differences between yours and mine (that may benefit me) than please do tell, I never really bothered to look into exact Cache settings.

I disabled diskcaching and only use memory caching. Probably why a simple reload works for me. Try that. I always let my browser running and only sleep the computer, so the memory cache serves fine.

Sometimes i purge the cache by just closing and reopening opera.

I disabled diskcaching and only use memory caching. Probably why a simple reload works for me. Try that. I always let my browser running and only sleep the computer, so the memory cache serves fine.

Sometimes i purge the cache by just closing and reopening opera.

Well it seems to work fine now (megavideo + Fanboy's Adblock List), but if I have any farther issues I'll try at least clearing my cache to see if doing so allows me to play the videos.

Well it seems to work fine now (megavideo + Fanboy's Adblock List), but if I have any farther issues I'll try at least clearing my cache to see if doing so allows me to play the videos.

Good to hear. We are at RC4 now ....

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a new snapshot. As you will see from the changelog it only includes Core fixes, so if you are awaiting a specific platform or interface bug to be fixed, then this is not the snapshot that will resolve your specific issue. However, it does fix several bugs relating to connection issues, and although the list of bug fixes is not long it should fix a number of seemingly unrelated networking problems (including the dreaded "Waiting for DNS" issue). So if you were having connection issues then this is the build you have been waiting for.

Feedback about connection issues, is particularly welcomed.

Known Issues

* Mac

o Some stability problems on PPC

o Fonts may be cut off when scrolling

o Crash when using Opera Standard Skin (the default Mac Native is OK)

o Crashlogger doesn?t work for OS 10.4 ?Tiger?

* UNIX

o Several font problems still remain

o Language input issues

o No KDE integration

o Black drop down menus for some KDE3 users

o Some command line options don't work

o No PPC builds (this time)

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Download: ( 10.52 | Build: 3338 )

* Windows MSI / Windows Classic

Changelog

Core

* Fixed CORE-23591 (sending HEAD requests for non-resolvable domain name forever)
    * Fixed CORE-28588 (Network problem when using proxy)
    * Fixed CORE-28805 (Opera crashes on page unloading)
    * Fixed CORE-28837 (console.info is missing so pages using it doesn't load)

Before we all go off to celebrate Easter Holidays, we thoughts we'd give you a few final fixes to show what we have been working on. As you can see from the changelog there are quite a lot improvements. Most of these issues are cross platform fixes, however both Mac and UNIX get a number of Widget fixes. Additionally we fixed a couple of the more annoying issues on UNIX.

Please try to keep your comments on topic (i.e. about the new changes and fixes we have made, or newly discovered bugs) as it helps to gather useful feedback. For general discussions of previously reported bugs please use the forums.

Thanks for the bug hunting over the holiday period!

Known Issues

Mac

Some stability problems on PPC

Fonts may be cut off when scrolling

Crash when using Opera Standard Skin (the default Mac Native is OK)

Crashlogger doesn?t work for OS 10.4 ?Tiger?

UNIX

No KDE integration

Black drop down menus for some KDE3 users

Some command line options don't work

Fonts occasionally broken (small and multi-colored)

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Download ( 10.52 | Build: 3344 )?

Windows MSI/ Windows Classic

Changelog

Desktop
Fixed DSK-273933 (Translate crash log submission page) 
Fixed DSK-276491 (Checkboxes have no focus indication) 
Fixed DSK-277939 (Context menu search opens in new tab, does not reuse current tab) 
Fixed DSK-279239 (Copy Link Address follows redirects) 
Fixed DSK-279809 (Wrong accelerator key for CJK) 
Fixed DSK-279853 (Modified toolbars keep getting created) 
Fixed DSK-281697 (Text with opacity set looks ugly/bold) 
Fixed DSK-283981 (Add tooltip to O menu) 
Fixed DSK-284079 (Problem with MDI window size after maximizing Opera window) 
Fixed DSK-284507 (It is not possible to drag a bookmark into a tab with a page already loaded) 
Fixed DSK-287461 (Scrollbars not shown on transformed elements) 
Fixed DSK-288357 (Old tab content shows briefly when opening link in a new tab) 
Fixed DSK-288752 (Scrolling by middleclick scrolls fixed positioned content) 
Fixed DSK-289287 (Opening and closing Panel changes the position of child window) 
Fixed DSK-289353 (Scrolling is slow when using page search (when dimmed)) 
Fixed DSK-117381 (UI dropdowns should close when their parent button is clicked a second time.) 
Fixed DSK-273610 (Crash dialog should not default to restarting Opera) 
Fixed DSK-276458 (No close button if "show close button on each tab" is unticked) 
Fixed DSK-277341 (Warning dialog for configuration file download doesn't disappear) 
Fixed DSK-279742 (Incorrect font used for UTF8 page without lang specified) 
Fixed DSK-281261 (Security information dialog improved) 
Fixed DSK-281507 (Crash caused by Transfers Panel after customisation) 
Fixed DSK-282852 (Fix tab cycler skin) 
Fixed DSK-283282 (Tab cycle background is too small when "show thumbnails in tab cycle" is off) 
Fixed DSK-285021 (Can't change dictionary of correct words in IRC spell checker) 
Fixed DSK-285076 ("Copy Video Address" doesn't work) 
Fixed DSK-285451 ("Exit" button in sync dialog not working) 
Fixed DSK-285482 ("Save Video" doesn't work) 
Fixed DSK-285618 (Flash videos flicker, disappear, or gets corrupted after scrolling) 
Fixed DSK-286831 (First sync doesn't sync modified bookmarks properly) 
Fixed DSK-287233 (Clicking Don't send in crash dialog crashes opera) 
Fixed DSK-287357 (Transparency of new page zoom popup is inconsistent) 
Fixed DSK-287402 (Can't copy audio address in context menu) 
Fixed DSK-287484 (Rewind and Fast Forward always disabled/grayed out in right click menu) 
Fixed DSK-287632 (Empty private window workspace when restarting from private window) 
Fixed DSK-287646 ("New Tab" from Dock or Jumplist create new window with two tabs) 
Fixed DSK-288922 (Printing dialog on maps.google.com blocks keyboard input) 
Fixed several crashes

Core
Fixed CORE-28709 (Speed up scrolling when page is dimmed) 
Fixed CORE-28509 (Fixed backwards compability, so slider track gets 4 pixels default size if nothing is specified)

Unite
Fixed an issue related to accessing the admin pages 
Fixed DSK-289121 (Enable Unite pref doesn't work)

Widgets
Removed security policy restrictions on widget.openURL and external links 
Mac
Fixed DSK-267449 (Widgets that do not have favicon don't show the widget generic icon) 
Fixed DSK-272643 (Clipped string occurs on remote debug window) 
Fixed DSK-285601 (Impossible to install multiple instances of one widget) 
Fixed DSK-285605 (Widget installer starts as Opera) 
Fixed DSK-285607 (Drag'n'drop of .wgt file onto browser doesn't start Widget installer) 
Fixed DSK-285647 (Flash content of widget is not clickable) 
Fixed DSK-285980 (Help "About Opera Widgets" menu contains ID String) 
Fixed DSK-286035 (Impossible to install widget with default settings as a standard user) 
Fixed DSK-286285 (Widget installer got Opera's icon if another widget is opened) 
Fixed DSK-286329 (Uninstalling a widget does not uninstall it) 
Fixed DSK-286713 (Cannot install Opera Windget in non-ASCII path) 
Fixed DSK-286850 (Widget installer cannot be launched without Opera) 
Fixed DSK-287220 (Opera crashes if removing not upgraded widget from widget panel) 
Fixed DSK-287459 (No prompt for removing active (upgraded) widgets using widgets panel) 
Fixed DSK-287467 (Using old shortcut for closing widgets makes a crash) 
Fixed DSK-288626 (Impossible to add local books in eBook reader widget) 
Fixed DSK-288811 (It is possible to run installation wizard of two widgets simultaneously) 
Fixed DSK-288963 (Uninstalling widgets from panel crashes Opera) 
Fixed DSK-291526 (Widget installer fails to start)
UNIX
Fixed DSK-283245 (Impossible to run Yandex widget with non latin characters in its name) 
Fixed DSK-283529 (Widgets that have not been "upgraded" do not appear in panel) 
Fixed DSK-285579 (Widget Install Wizard - widget icon clips string) 
Fixed DSK-285602 (Installed widgets are not displayed in panel) 
Fixed DSK-285604 (Control buttons never disappear) 
Fixed DSK-285627 (Widget process name is "opera") 
Fixed DSK-285630 (Additional Opera icon is displayed in tray for each widget launched) 
Fixed DSK-285640 (Always below + show desktop makes widget is unreachable in Ubuntu) 
Fixed DSK-285646 ("About this widget" is missing in Widget Install Wizard) 
Fixed DSK-285648 (%s is displayed between "by" and "author") 
Fixed DSK-287411 (Crash when trying to run widget installer of particular widget) 
Fixed DSK-287706 (Error when creating deb package from widget with application mode) 
Fixed DSK-287707 (Crash when creating deb package from widget that runs in widget mode) 
Fixed DSK-288237 (Select menu (dropdown) is displayed in upper left corner of the screen) 
Fixed DSK-288974 (Widget Install Wizard does not appear if widget has a long name)

Windows
Fixed DSK-291313 (DST optimisation returning incorrect DST offset value - date handling off) 
Fixed DSK-285556 (Printing from the context menu results in error) 
Fixed DSK-217253 (Plugin detecting method npdsplay.dll->np-mswmp.dll)

Unix
Fixed DSK-289401 (Have anti-aliasing / subpixel hinting like Xft, using Xft settings) 
Fixed DSK-291428 (Overlayed dialogs can be covered by flash) 
Fixed DSK-292073 (Opera crashes on startup when running with 16-bit depth) 
Fixed DSK-292075 (UserJS HTTPS warning dialog should be overlayed) 
Fixed DSK-281529 (Fix issues with inputting certain character sets) 
Fixed DSK-278861 (Page-scroll shortcuts shift-space / space not working at all in Opera 10.50)

Glad to see the waiting for DNS bug fixed, that was the only problem I ever really had with Opera, it forced me to restart Opera a number of times in the past due to a few sites refusing to load from the DNS error.

• 1 month later...

Been trying 10.60 out for an hour or so - still the same old bugs from the early 10.50 releases and some new ones. If there was another browser that offered the features I use Opera for I would have stopped using Opera a while ago.

Some CSS and DOM improvements in Opera 10.6 Alpha 1 too which is nice. Lets hope 10.54 stable with GOOD WebM support is released soon as 10.53 is buggy and the WebM build is really slow for webm and doesn't work properly on youtube's html5 version.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a rainy Saturday here in Oslo, so it's a good opportunity to release a snapshot.

This build contains quite a few fixes. Various crashes have been fixed, as well as some Dragonfly and scope protocol issues. We've also been working on some RTL/BiDi things.

There's good news for Linux users: Java should now work again!

We've also added the ability to show suggestions in the search field. You can try it with Wikipedia and Yandex for now. The address bar and find bar have also received a few fixes. You will notice that the search field in the page find toolbar flashes red when there are no matches, for example. Single-domain intranet servers will now be stored in Opera's preferences rather than relying on the typed history.

Take a look at the changelog for more details.

Note: There is no Mac build for this snapshot. It may have to wait until Monday.

Download links

What's new: they finally implemented search suggestions, after all 4 others have had them already for some time. Currently it only works on Wikipedia and some other site, no Google or Bing yet.

post-99705-12763738413472.png

Also the top-left Opera menu can optionally have the "Menu" text disabled. In the Appearance dialog, select it and choose either "Images only" or "Image and text to right."

Some other site is called Yandex. The second Internet portal in Europe.

I don't like it's only have 3 items in search suggestions.

Hope they can insert an opera:config entry down the line for search suggestions. This addition is long overdue.

The web is moving quickly these days, and Opera would like to stay at the forefront of open web standards. In this build we have added four features related to HTML5 and other open standards, and an update for a previous implementation:

• WebM support for HTML5 video
  • HTML5 Offline Web Applications
  • Geolocation (only partially implemented on FreeBSD/Linux, more work to come)
  • Web Workers
  • Major update for Cross-Document Messaging

We have also added sets of specific fonts to be used for CJK web sites, which should improve readability. We would appreciate your feedback on this.

In addition to these new/improved features there are quite a few bug fixes for Linux/FreeBSD. Mac users will notice that plug-ins will generally perform better too. Take a look at the changelog for more information.

Note that there are no Linux PPC builds for this snapshot.

Download

In the changelog, they have also officially added Bing as a search engine option. It is now the default Speed Dial search engine (Google is still the default top-right search engine). The search suggestions also work on Bing.

HTML5-enhanced 10.60 Beta is coming!

This is a release candidate for the public beta of Opera 10.60.

In the previous snapshot, we added several new features related to HTML5 and other open web standards. As many of you know, the HTML5 project started long ago here at Opera, and we are dedicated to fully supporting HTML5 and the latest in other open web standards, such as SVG and CSS. Opera 10.60 will be another step in that direction.

Now we'd like to give even more people the opportunity to test-drive the next Opera release, and like other betas, this one will be made available to a wider audience through www.opera.com. We really appreciate your help in getting this beta out there!

Note: If you are having problems with Geolocation, you can try checking it in other browsers as well. If it fails there, the problem is likely to be on the Geolocation provider's end. This feature will work best on wireless connections.

Download

Windows MSI / Windows Classic

Macintosh (Universal) / Macintosh (Intel-only)

Linux/FreeBSD

Changelog

General

Updated opera:about with libvpx license

DSK-302026 (Can't edit documents on docs.google.com)

DSK-302179 (onerror events not sent for application caches when enabling "Work Offline")

Mac

DSK-301531 (Open in background tab from context menu opens in foreground)

DSK-301782 (Unite applications are gone after second start-up)

There are two issues that aren't show stoppers, but annoying enough to warrant a quick fix before a public beta.

On some pages, buttons and input boxes use a serif font. Also the notification boxes that appear on the bottom right don't have workable actions, for instance, popping up a menu for 'download complete' toasts.

Just ran my batch of online benchmarks in the Opera beta and it performs on par with the alpha. Scores much better in the HTML 5 department though.

Here's the beta compared to the latest Chromium.

post-20816-12767050875916.png

Wait, Search Suggestions work on Bing? It does not work for mine.

If you added Bing as a custom search engine, it may not work. Use the official Bing entry (the second from the top).

There's also a new weekend build.

General

• Fixed version number
  • CORE-29799 (Crash on rightjs.org/fx-demo)
  • CORE-30739 (Crash fix for DNS lookup on Linux and Mac)
  • DSK-297625 (Widget showNotification() callback is not executed in 10.5x+)
  • DSK-302046 (Nothing happens when clicking new mail or blocked JS popup notification)
  • DSK-302025 (Crash in Local Storage Settings dialog)
  • DSK-301236 (Pressing Ctrl or Shift key combination on startup dialogs causes opera to crash)
  • DSK-300765 (Can't drag tab to the leftmost position when the Opera window is restored)
  • DSK-301526 (Tab cycling order wrong after closing tab opened in background or with activate next tab enabled)
  • DSK-301672 ("Show only when needed" not greyed out when tab bar moved from other position to top)
  • DSK-302205 (user.js loaded even when "User Javascript" is disabled)
  • DSK-302739 (Opera eats memory when reloading gmail.com)

Windows

• DSK-277917 (Advanced menu in download tab doesn't appear for files downloaded to non-ASCII folder)

Mac

• CORE-30757 (Possible freeze fix)
  • DSK-295979 (Font related crash)
  • DSK-300468 (Control-Click mouse gestures does not work on trakcpads/single-button mice)
  • DSK-300470 (Crash on page load after Carbon removal)
  • DSK-301094 (Dragging favicon or tab to desktop creates an image)
  • DSK-301531 (Open in background tab from context menu opens in foreground)
  • DSK-302554 (Auto-update sometimes fails to properly replace the old installation)