Beckham Steps Down as England Captain

David Beckham quit as England captain on Sunday, the morning after his side lost in the World Cup quarterfinals to Portugal.

Beckham, 31, left the field with a leg injury in the 52nd minute of Saturday's loss at Gelsenkirchen and was in tears on the sideline. England played for almost an hour with 10 men after Wayne Rooney was given a red card in the 62nd minute, holding Portugal to 0-0 through the end of regulation and overtime.

Beckham could not participate in the subsequent penalty shootout, which Portugal won 3-1.

A tearful Beckham read from a statement Sunday at a news conference in England's training camp in southern Germany, stressing that he wanted to continue playing for England.

.....More at http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/ap/.../ap2854445.html .....

It's impossible to say who would be good really, I have no idea how the players are in the dressing room, socially, what they talk about on the pitch and who says what or could lead and direct at important points in the game. Gerrard an Terry seem like good candidates but only the players know who would manage the position well in reality.

Give it to the mascot!

Oh sorry i don't think theo walcott will be in the england squad much.

I'm happy he has steped down now. Beckham now to me offers nothing to the squad, Sure he good at his free kicks and crosses but that it.

TBH how can u blame rooney, the entire England squad didn't play well in any off the matches!

sweet god i dont even like england but if they make it crouch that will be terrible. im goin with owen because he seems to b liked among fans such as beckham was-- well still is but you kno, as a captain.

TBH how can u blame rooney, the entire England squad didn't play well in any off the matches!

No you can't blame him for the whole loss. But you can certainly blame him for making a stupid move, right next to the ref, which caused the whole team trouble, and certainly didnt help our chances.

And i thought england played quite well against Portugal, we held our own, with 10 men, and didnt let them score, and had a lot more possession than other matches.

But anyway, with our luck as it is, we lost owen, beckham, and rooney at a vital time, so we didnt have some of our best penalty takers there.

Anyway, my vote for next captain would be with Neville or Terry.

Why would a player stamp on someone nuts knowing it's not nice, Rooney wouldn't stoop to that level.

Carvalho wraped his legs around rooney and then went to the ground, not much rooney can do about placing his foot out the way.

The ref was far to much influenced by the portugal players.

But i'm glad beckham has steped down as captain, now he needs to retire. Shawn Wright Philips or Aron Lennon will be better on the right wing and give us the speed and drive to get forward. To many of the long balls came from beckham and the halfway line