Thinking of a career in Video Editing

Question

Sorry, couldn't really think of a good topic name so I just stuck with what came to mind first. btw: i'm not really sure if this is the appropriate section either.

Anyway, on to the point. I've been considering starting off in Video Editing part-time, I know abit here and there about it, I just need to know some things to get started off.

When I start I plan to have these things on my list of what I can do;

- Wedding Slideshows

- Architectural Slideshows

- Photo Slideshows

- some more things I can't think of? Help me out here :)

But the problem/question is what program would I need to buy so that I could produce high-quality presentations that can be burned onto a DVD and presented using a proffesional looking Menu system(like the ones on movies you buy) on most DVD players? Windows Movie Maker is out of the question ok! :rofl:

The main factor is being able to put the high quality slideshows and present them using a menu system, and have all this on a DVD.

Would Adobe Premiere Pro do the job?

I may make the switch to a Mac in the near future so if you can reccomend programs for OS X and Windows it would be helpful.

:D Thanks tons!

10 answers to this question

TRUST ME on this one. People often fall into the Adobe Premiere trap for editing. Great program--used it for seven years. But you haven't LIVED until you've worked with Sony Vegas. Realtime velocity curves, advanced color correction, live previews of transitions, EASY text, limitless animation---the list goes on. It's not perfect, but it's amazing for editing. The real beauty is DVD Architect. It's so plain and simple, but it can do everything possible that you would want from a DVD player. Adobe Encore is very nice, too.

Bottom line: Vegas or Premiere rock. For DVD, get a separate program for DVD authoring like Architect or Encore. (Y) I would post a sample of my work here, but there's no real "format" that supports menus. ;)

So I'd be better off to buy the Sony Vegas + DVD?

This integrated production suite includes Vegas 6, DVD Architect? 3, and AC-3 encoding software for all phases of video, audio, DVD, and broadcast production.

Yes. Give yourself a solid week with it and you'll be a pro. I haven't even touched the documentation--it's very intuitive. Check eBay and other places--this seller has six full sets of them being sold, each for $338 with free shipping.

Try it out--see how you like it. (Y)

Yes. Give yourself a solid week with it and you'll be a pro. I haven't even touched the documentation--it's very intuitive. Check eBay and other places--this seller has six full sets of them being sold, each for $338 with free shipping.

Try it out--see how you like it. (Y)

I agree completely...Sony Vegas is the way to go. Adobe does alot well, but video editing software isn't one of them. Very cumbersome. (this doesn't include Adobe After Effects, which is one of my fav apps...and it's more for compositing than editing)

Vegas is about as pro. as you can get. It's got about any feature you'd ever want in a video editor and it's easy to learn.

A sidenote...I'd suggest removing "Slideshow" from your list of things. You should use "montage" or just say "Wedding Videos." Because slideshow sounds like it will be still photos set to cheesy music.

I may make the switch to a Mac in the near future so if you can reccomend programs for OS X and Windows it would be helpful.

If you buy a Mac, it already has all the stuff you need. iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and Garageband. (Y) All of them are very intuitive. I've used Vegas before, but I'd take iMovie over it anyday ;) Just my 2?!

I'd have to disagree regarding Adobe Premiere. I've used Vegas and never really liked it. Premiere is just much more natural than Vegas to me

Learn Avid and Final Cut Pro. Dont bother with Adobe or Vegas.

This guy obviously is just starting out. He's not going to go out and spend $10,000 on an Avid system. Or even $1,200 for FCP.

Basically Sony Vegas is just as powerful an editor as FCP for about half the price. And it comes with DVD-Architect 3.

Tell me one thing that FCP has that Vegas doesn't. I've never needed FCP and video editing is a large part of my job, so I'd like to hear all of the advantages of it.

I've been using Premiere for the past day now and I think I'm going to end up buying that, it does what I need it to do very easily. :)

I think I'll go for Sony Vegas when I'm not a n00b at editing. :D

I've been using Premiere for the past day now and I think I'm going to end up buying that, it does what I need it to do very easily. :)

I think I'll go for Sony Vegas when I'm not a n00b at editing. :D

Try now Vegas. Sony offers free demo from it's official site.

Download & play with it

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step1.asp?catid=1