[PHP] Split text after a certain character

Question

So i currently have the following:

$text = $filename;
					$split = explode("?", $text); 
					$price = $split['1']; 

But at the minute it splits the text i want it to, but it keeps it in the original string, so is there anyway to remove it ?

Thanks,

MiG

19 answers to this question

What? I'm not sure i understand what you are asking but:

unset($text);

If that's not what you want then try explaining it better

What? I'm not sure i understand what you are asking but:

unset($text);

If that's not what you want then try explaining it better

Ok, well i want it to do the following:

Say i have the following: "The Price is ?500"

i want it to do the following..

Variable 1 = "The Price is"

Variable 2 = "?500"

Thanks,

MiG

<?
$text = "The price is ?200";
					$split = explode("?", $text);
					$price = $split['0'];
					$cost = $split['1'];
					echo $price;
					echo "<br />";
					echo $cost;
?>

An easier way of doing what PRSBOY posted would be something like this;

<?php
$text = "The Price is ?500";
list($text, $price) = explode("?", $text);

echo $text . "?" . $price;
?>

EDIT: Is there any function that splits a string into two or more parts without removing the character it splits on?

<?
	$originalstring = "The Price is ?500";
	$delimiter = "?";
	if(strpos($originalstring,$delimiter) > 0){
		$outarray = explode($delimiter,$originalstring);
		$variable1 = $outarray[0];
		$variable2 = "?".$outarray[1];
	}
?>

<?php

?>

EDIT: Is there any function that splits a string into two or more parts without removing the character it splits on?

not that i know of

<?
	$delimiter = "?";
		$variable2 = "?".$outarray[1];
	}
?>

That works fine, except i think its trying to put a symbol in variable1, since at the end of the text i get a diamond with a question mark in it, as if it is trying to put a ? sign in there..

any ideas?

MiG

Right, I think you have had a lot of help here and are not explaining the situation correctly. This diamond thing is weird, what environment are you running in?

Also, would it not be prudent to maybe learn PHP?

Hate to say it, but well said Kudos

<?
	$delimiter = "?";
		$variable2 = "£".$outarray[1];
	}
?>

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=475756

Are you thick?

I hate being rude about it, but jesus christ, it was only a couple of days ago.

that was for a different thing, and since i posted there saying i wanted some help splitting it and nobody replied, i thought i'd try some things, give it a few days, and then reply back...

DUDE, if im so god damn thick, why the **** can you explain why it is displaying that diamond mark, after i did a Str_replace on the variable, to replace "?", with " ", meaning effectively it would take away the nagging diamond, which it didnt..

SO, if you cant help me rectify my problem then get out..

And to Njlouch ?, i'm running XAMMP web server locally, which is basically Apache, PHP and SQL in one bundle..

that was for a different thing, and since i posted there saying i wanted some help splitting it and nobody replied, i thought i'd try some things, give it a few days, and then reply back...

DUDE, if im so god damn thick, why the **** can you explain why it is displaying that diamond mark, after i did a Str_replace on the variable, to replace "?", with " ", meaning effectively it would take away the nagging diamond, which it didnt..

SO, if you cant help me rectify my problem then get out..

And to Njlouch ?, i'm running XAMMP web server locally, which is basically Apache, PHP and SQL in one bundle..

Try just downloading and installing PHP, Apache and MySql seperately, and configuring them. That way you end up with a 'proper' install that you know is configured properly, and not to someone elses requirements.

Try just downloading and installing PHP, Apache and MySql seperately, and configuring them. That way you end up with a 'proper' install that you know is configured properly, and not to someone elses requirements.

It doesn't matter what it was for, the answer is still there.

I'm going to answer the first part of that question by answering the second part. It's almost certainly your character encoding, you have the following at the top of your listed website

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='iso-8859-1' ?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Try playing with that a bit and read this. Check that your database encoding matches the encoding you're putting in your header too (yes, it actually does something).

It doesn't matter what it was for, the answer is still there.

I'm going to answer the first part of that question by answering the second part. It's almost certainly your character encoding, you have the following at the top of your listed website

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='iso-8859-1' ?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Try playing with that a bit and read this. Check that your database encoding matches the encoding you're putting in your header too (yes, it actually does something).

i have the encoding thing sorted but i'll take a look at that link, not expecting much from it though. :(

i've seemed to fix it, well kinda. loaded up the page in IE, and it was trying to display 1/4 </br> :blink:.

so i revamped my code and got rid of the error in IE, but firefox is still teh gay. ;)

&lt;?php

?&gt;

The function preg_split can,

$result = preg_split( '/(?\d{1,})/', $text, -1, PREG_SPLIT_DELIM_CAPTURE|PREG_SPLIT_NO_EMPTY);
print_r($result);