Zidane apologises for headbutt

Zinedine Zidane has apologised for the headbutt on Italy's Marco Materazzi which earned him a red card in Sunday's World Cup final penalty shoot-out loss.

The France legend did not reveal what Materazzi said, but claimed it was "very personal" and concerned his mother and his sister.

"I want to ask for forgiveness from all the children who watched," Zidane said.

Materazzi responded to the French TV interview with a statement again denying insulting Zidane's mother.

Italian defender Materazzi, who scored the equaliser on Sunday, said: "I didn't mention anything about religion, politics or racism.

"I didn't insult his mother. I lost my mother when I was 15 years old and still get emotional when I talk about it.

"Naturally, I didn't know that his mother was in hospital but I wish her all the best.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/w...006/5169342.stm

Materazzi speaks such bull****, lipreaders have been brought in by many newsagents here in the UK and all have concluded the same thing, he said his mother was a terrorist and stuff. They should ban Materazzi from playing professional football to make an example of him.

and u honestly believe the newspapers, especially those in the UK, there not bothered what was said aslong as they get a story out off it! take it with a pinch off salt with what u read in a newspaper!

I mean honestly it's all pretty stupid to me and weak. I don't follow football (soccer for us americans lol) but I mean people talk all kinds of **** in sports. I'm sure on the american football field and i definately know in other areas people are saying all sorts of things about you, your mom, what they'll do to your wife etc, i mean it's kinda part of the game to pysche your opponent out. You just got to take it like a man and either say something back to them or kick their behind on the playing field. unfortunately for Zidane he couldn't take it and it cost his team.

I read an artilce a day or so ago where the other guy was acting like he didn't say terrorist and would never disrespect somebody's mom like that i was like man give me a break. if you are going to say something, which more than likely he did say, at least have the balls after the fact to say yeah I said it so what.

and u honestly believe the newspapers, especially those in the UK, there not bothered what was said aslong as they get a story out off it! take it with a pinch off salt with what u read in a newspaper!

And I suppose you believe Zidane headbutted him for no reason just turned round and felt like I dunno, rubbing his scalp knowing full well that he would be sent off, not to mention at the END of his career.

Do you really think he did that without being provoked?

Violence is wrong and he shouldn't have headbutted him but there is no doubt in my mind that he was provoked by a very strong insult.

I agree entirely with WinMacLin, Zidane was provoked, I'm a huge Italian fan but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Materazzi insulted his mother or something very important to Zidane, obviously Zidane knew that this was his last game, and he did the right thing.

They should just give him a ban from participating in the next World Cup.

My Interpretation: Italy played a game of tactics. Probably all the team critizied Zidane from the start, and when it game to the last comment by Materazzi, Zidane got angry thus attacking Materazzi. There is nothing wrong with that, instead Italy was really smart to have planned this. But even though, Trezegi (a great player) was somewhat replaced to recover the loss of Zidane, and it was Trezegi's mistake which made France lose the cup, if not 100%, at least 90% (with the emotional trembling of Zidane's teamates).

In hockey we beat people up all the time. I thought what zidane did was kick ass and that he shouldn't apologize. On the flip side racist comments need to be dealt with. It seems to me that italy FC's have a problem with it. Di canio got suspended a short while back for his actions.