Thinking of Getting Into Street Fighter

Following my urge to go and buy Tekken 5 (which I never did, as there's a new version of it being released in the near future IIRC), I'm now interested in Street Fighter. Although I've never followed the series, I am aware that there are MANY SF games.

The most recent fighting game I played was Mortal Kombat (I'm a fan), just in case anybody cares out there.

I've read the Street Fighter Wiki, and I've come to the conclusion that out of the main games, it's most likely going to have to be Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, at is has been given a lot of praise on the Wiki. However, there is Street Fighter Anniversary Collection which contains Street Fighter III: Third Strike, another game that received a lot of praise in the Wiki.

Now, seeing as there isn't just one game for example Hyper Super Street Fighter Dash EX Alpha Zero III: Maximum Rapid Fighter MAX vs t3h w0rld for me to buy, what's the best recommended purchase?

Oh, and I know these are old(ish) games but I'd rather play something that has half-decent graphics. :)

I almost forgot, how are the controls on PS2? Or do I have to go and buy a special Street Fighter controller that has a 6 button layout to enjoy it properly?

EDIT:

In the Alpha Anthology, what's the A-ism, X-ism, etc?

Edited by m-head

SF > Tekken by a long shot imo

<duh ;)

um a-ism x-ism etc is like different ways to play the same character. For example one will give you a dash move and rolling move whereas another will give you a dodge or counter attack.

Personally I love street fighter third strike, marvel vs capcom series,Alpha series, and cant forget the super street fighter II on the super nintendo.

SF > Tekken by a long shot imo

<duh ;)

um a-ism x-ism etc is like different ways to play the same character. For example one will give you a dash move and rolling move whereas another will give you a dodge or counter attack.

yup Street Fighter wins i only played it for Sakura

Apparently Street Fighter III was never released in Europe, so I don't think there's any chance of me getting it on a console (probably, definitely not on PS2 though). I might just get one that's ?9.99 on play.com for now, and maybe get Alpha Anthology another time.

Apparently Street Fighter III was never released in Europe, so I don't think there's any chance of me getting it on a console (probably, definitely not on PS2 though). I might just get one that's ?9.99 on play.com for now, and maybe get Alpha Anthology another time.

Street Fighter 3 (or at least various iterations of it) come out on the Dreamcast in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Street Fighter 3 (or at least various iterations of it) come out on the Dreamcast in Europe.

yes we miss so many classic games in Europe.

You can also pickup SFIII on the Aniversary SFII edition that came out earlier this year. Only on the X-Box version though I'm afraid, for some reason they don;t think PS2 owners would want it i guess :(

Thankfully my bro has about 4 Dreamcasts so I have it on there :) SF3 is great

DC is a great bit of kit

I'd recommend getting Streetfighter Alpha Anthology. Alpha 3 was fun.

Once you are done with streetfighter games, go for Marvel vs Capcom 2. Easily one of the best fighting games :D

MvC2 will always be my favorite fighter. The quickness of the game, the tag-team strategies, the characters...simply the best.

As for Street Fighter, if all you have is PS2 then pick up the Alpha Anthology. The controls are fine, as the D-pad is adequate and the layout is similar to SNES. If you have a SNES or Genesis available, by all means get Super Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) or Street Fighter 2: Champions Edition (Genesis).

You also might like X-men vs. Street Fighter, which came out on PSone.

I wasn't a MvC2'er. I didn't grow up that way. I grew up on Capcom vs. Snk 2. Oh man is that game fun...

Street Fighter has always been my favourite fighting game. My personal favourite are those that don't change too much from the originals.

That said, i also love the tekken series. Tekken 5 is better for the story and graphics in my opinion, but i just prefer Street Fighter. Guess it's down to preference.

Id say anything from the Street Fighter Alpha Series / or Street Fighter 3 if you fancy something new. If youve got a Dreamcast Id recomend searching for Arcade sticks and StreetFighter Games for it on Ebay. It had pretty much all of them LOL