wireless internet in new zealand

So i live a flat with 3 other people we have boardband, but i want my own, so i looked around and decide to try woosh wireless internet, found that i was in a great hotspot, and the cost was not too bad, but the dl speed was S&*t, only 1.6mbs or is it 1.6Mbs, any way, i rang up and cause i a student, i get half price connection. so now thats 49.95, inc modem, will pick it up on thursday (two days anyway as i too busy with work and uni.) will write back with details on it soon.

i think i used woosh when i took a trip to Whistler, BC about a month ago...worst wireless internet i've come across to date. Half way though my week subscription, the networks disappeared...

I gave up.

Innocently, I sent an email to woosh asking when they would extend their coverage to gisborne, and was told to wait 5 months.

That was a year and a half ago.

I found that ihug are reasonable, offer great service and are almost always up.

So i live a flat with 3 other people we have boardband, but i want my own, so i looked around and decide to try woosh wireless internet, found that i was in a great hotspot, and the cost was not too bad, but the dl speed was S&*t, only 1.6mbs or is it 1.6Mbs, any way, i rang up and cause i a student, i get half price connection. so now thats 49.95, inc modem, will pick it up on thursday (two days anyway as i too busy with work and uni.) will write back with details on it soon.

So after 2day i have got my wireless woosh connection, paid 49.00$NZ for the modem and took it home, easy to install but i had to use a usb connection to my pc as there was no NIC cable there which i would of liked as i wanna try using linux soon, anyway, the spped doesnt seem to good at the moment, my top download speed has been about 15KB p/s, and im only on a 1.3Mbs connection i think ill give this a thew days to see what its like.

I had Woosh in Wellington, since I switched to TelstraClear Cable [10Mbit] I haven't looked back :)

its funny cause you Kiwi's don't know just how evil anything with the word "Telstra" in the name, really is.

So after 2day i have got my wireless woosh connection, paid 49.00$NZ for the modem and took it home, easy to install but i had to use a usb connection to my pc as there was no NIC cable there which i would of liked as i wanna try using linux soon, anyway, the spped doesnt seem to good at the moment, my top download speed has been about 15KB p/s, and im only on a 1.3Mbs connection i think ill give this a thew days to see what its like.

you are sure you havent got a USB 1.0 port and lots of stuff on that USB hub?

Still the speeds are suppost to go higher, call and complain

Innocently, I sent an email to woosh asking when they would extend their coverage to gisborne, and was told to wait 5 months.

Gisborne? It'll never make it. Hasn't got the customer base, set up costs will be high and basically most people won't be able to afford it down there.

It just doesn't make sense to have wireless internet in a low socio-economic area.

its funny cause you Kiwi's don't know just how evil anything with the word "Telstra" in the name, really is.

In the seventh state, Telstra are the under-dog, Telecom's 3.5 mbit DSL offerings are, in reality, sub 1 mbit :no: - we really don't have any choice but to stick with Telstra.

In the seventh state, Telstra are the under-dog, Telecom's 3.5 mbit DSL offerings are, in reality, sub 1 mbit :no: - we really don't have any choice but to stick with Telstra.

Telstra being the omplete opposite here. Obviously they are the National Carrier, but god, thank god there are laws in place to limit those greedy ######.

Ausralia has the technology to get 24mbps, some operators use their own hardwar to provide it, but Telstra won't install it, because they want it all to themselves, and not for wholesale to other operators.

Its disgusting, because there are at least 20 big providers which power most of Australia with Internet, and well, we still don't have the speed we could if Telstra would hurry up.

They are very greedy, it must be good to see them in an environment where they arn't in control.

Telecom has the technology in place to enable 24mbps ADSL 2, too, however, they've decided to fix their copper network after reports that 65% of customers will not be able to reach speeds in excess of 8mbps on ADSL2. Telstra have recently started to build a converged wireless broadband/mobile phone entwork in NZ too, which will be extended firther around the country - Woosh don't like this.

It is good to see that they aren't in control, however, I suppose that the same could be said on the mainland with AAPT, Telecom's subsidiary? All Telecom companaies are greedy, it's just a matter of how greedy.

AAPT over here is a good company, bu going broke, hence, Telecom trying to sell them. They work under Telstra, using Telstra's lines and all that.

I use Comcast! :)

Sounds like internet is ALOT more fierce over in the UK... I mean, all I ever really see in the way of internet here is Verizon (which offers a badass internet servic AFAIK), Comcast, AOL (Eqivulent of Telestra?), AT&T... Those are the broadband ones that I can think of, meaning I see their commercials enugh to memorize them.