Why Won't My Network work

I just put Windows XP pro on my comp and I run the the network setup thing and now I can't access my other computers in my house. It worked under 98 and ME. But now it isn't working. All my computers are connected to router...if anyone can help me, reply

~Zackotronic

Hmmm, this could be a number of things, but withouth knowing whats happening currently on your lan, this could be tough to troubleshoot in one post.

The first thing I'm thinking is when you ran the network setup wizard, the XP machine could now be acting as a DHCP server handing out IP addresses. If the router is handing out IP's as well, this is a disasterous conflict.

The other thing that comes to mind is: did something happen to the router or physical network? Can each machine ping the router? Can each machine ping each other? If this answer is yes, then there's something up with the router passing traffic back and forth from your lan to the wan (internet). It could also be the

workgroup issue as well that Nathan mentioned above.

(As a side note, i run ICS on my xp machine and the other computers on my LAN has net fine and I can see the other computers shared folders, but I cant copy files back and forth...it locks up....been this way since both machines ran win98...tried everything and never was able to solve it)

The first logical step is making sure the LAN can see each other, then troubleshoot the internet side.

Hope this helps a bit, if you need further help, please supply more info such as each machines IP addess, the IP of the router etc.

Mike

Winxp has some strange user rules when it comes to workgrouping, all the problems I've had with it stem from that (things like 0 length passwords etc). If you have problems accessing another comp check their first, if it's not that, it's probably a router/firewall screw up.