[Installing] Ubuntu problems

Version 6.06

I boot to the cd choose install CD or test CD the screen says loading filesystem( I think thats what it says) and just stays there or gives me an error, an error message I can't remember right now. Dual booting with XP. SATA hard drive. What's the problem? I'll try to get that message.

Without the error message, I don't think there can be much done to help. :unsure:

Could be related to your SATA, or perhaps you use multiple drives in a software RAID?

Not a lot for anyone to work on at this point...

Errors were "Timeout waiting for DMA" and "Drive not ready for command".

This is after the root filesystem is mounted or in the process of being mounted.

Could be a problem with the CD or the CD drive. Make sure the CD is clean and if you can re-burn it at a slow speed. I've had trouble burning isos at normal speeds, but then re-burning at slower speeds works fine.

can you mount the drive properly from the live cd system? sounds like it hasn't detected ur hard drive

I had a bugger of a time getting Dapper to finally boot off the live cd. the trick for me...was to hit escape when you get to the choices screen and type in "live pci=nodma ide=nodma" otherwise it would freeze at the same place...and i have sata...so i have no idea about the dma. Good luck though it's worth it in the end.

the ide=nodma option worked. I think my cd-rom is interfering or perhaps IDE channels are being scanned before sata/scsi?