PS3 'in better place for launch' than 360

Amidst all the arguments over PS3's hefty price tag, how much the world really cares about Blu-ray, and how important Xbox 360's steadily growing lead will prove, self-styled 'industry loudmouth' and Epic boss Mark Rein has revealed an interesting take on the next-gen battle from a developer's perspective.

Comparing the situation for developers last year ahead of the launch of 360, Rein believes Sony's efforts to get final dev kits out to studios compares favourably with those of its bitter rival.

"Developers were just getting final PS3 hardware [around E3], which is a long time before ship," Rein told Eurogamer TV in an exclusive interview now showing. "Developers did not have finished Xbox 360 hardware last year at E3. So Sony's actually maybe in a better place vis-a-vis Microsoft in relation to launch."

Advertisement

"I think Sony's in a good spot with the PlayStation 3," he added. "I know we're getting some great results with it back at our house, so I would expect other developers will be as well."

And speaking of Epic games in development, while 360 action title Gears of War was undoubtedly one of the more visually amazing titles on show during May's gaming spectacular, Rein promised that improved tech will mean that the final version will raise the bar still further.

"[The E3 demo] was using our single-threaded rendered. We have our new Gemini multi-threaded rendered working in the engine right now," Rein explained. "The final game's built on it, it gives us better frame rates and more fluidity - UT 2007 will also benefit from it. It only gets better from here. So if you were impressed with Gears of War at E3, the finished game's going to be much better, it's going to be spectacular."

The full video interview with Mark Rein, in which he also slams Intel integrated graphics and reveals why he's known in the office as 'Captain Obvious', is available to view now on EGTV.

Source

Watch the full interview

Mark Rein is a really sound guy - he makes a lot of interesting points, especially about Intel's integrated graphics.

And it's nice to know dev kits are being sent out so early (there's another thread on the 10,000 dev kits you should also check out).

Hmmm interesting news... definitely because the guys from Epic always seem really trusthworthy to me - they're always about the best graphics and stuff for everyone...

Mark Rein is a really sound guy - he makes a lot of interesting points, especially about Intel's integrated graphics.

His point about Intel's integrated graphics killing gaming is ridiculous. His keynote was also not well recieved at the recent conference. Even Sony's own Phil Harrison said this

“I think I disagreed with everything you said,” half-joked Harrison, before adding the more subtle criticism, “In a keynote, you’re supposed to set the mood for the conference and inspire people. You didn’t do that.”

Mark Rein = :laugh:

GoW E3 demo running on a single core is HUGE news. :devil:

Wow how can you twist his words like that and calling Microsoft bitter? It's just hilarious article with many misleading quotes by a pro-Sony "reporter" trying to twist his words where Mark Rein was believe it or not very careful not to claim any console was better than the other. He only said PS3 had the final dev kits longer before launch than Microsoft last year but as we all know a huge part of that reason is PS3 was actually supposed to go for a spring release but was delayed.

Mark Rein usually jumpes the gun and tells crazy things but he did NOT during this interview no matter how Eurogamer tryed to twist it.

Also it's missing important word he mentioned MAYBE

"[The E3 demo] was using our single-threaded rendered. We have our new Gemini multi-threaded rendered working in the engine right now," Rein explained.

:cool:

Who cares what Rein says? The consumers are the ones who say how good Sony is doing, not their way of manipulating everyone into trying to make people thing they're doing good.

First of all this should be in the main console section since more from the interview is actually about the Xbox 360 than PS3.

Also was Mark Rein not informed when Microsoft decided to open up Xbox Live?

Regardless of what people are saying, the PS3 will have a huge launch. I still remember the 360 launch and it wasn't nothing to be too exciting about. Considering I work at Best Buy, I saw the usual 20-30 hardcore gamers camping outside before the release, but weeks after the launch, we had the 360 sitting in shelves waiting for some buyers and they are still sitting there. The hype died down after a while and now the PS3 has had the hype going for months and months and they will have the upper hand with a worldwide release.

First of all this should be in the main console section

A certain mod (*cough*Joel*cough*) would have moved it here anyway (that's what he has done with all my previous PS3-Xbox 360 threads).

Regardless of what people are saying, the PS3 will have a huge launch. I still remember the 360 launch and it wasn't nothing to be too exciting about. Considering I work at Best Buy, I saw the usual 20-30 hardcore gamers camping outside before the release, but weeks after the launch, we had the 360 sitting in shelves waiting for some buyers and they are still sitting there. The hype died down after a while and now the PS3 has had the hype going for months and months and they will have the upper hand with a worldwide release.
Not sure where your BestBuy is located, but the two by my area had about 45 and 60 people lined up outside. Also, after daily phone-calls, it took about 4ish months before one was able to just walk in and pick up an Xbox 360.

I'm finding it rather difficult to take Mark Rein seriously. This is the same guy who referred to the Wii (called Revolution at the time) as a "wish-I-hadn't-bought-it gimmick", only to take the entire comment back a couple days later. I still have love for Sony, and I wish them the best, but Mark Rein's words offer little assurance, or little meaning for that matter.

I still have a bit of respect for him though, simply because he works for Epic - one of the few gaming companies that still treat their customers and potential customers with respect (can you name any other dev companies that offer up multiple bonus packs for free?).

I'm predicting a mediocre launch for the PS3 (the ability to play Blu-Ray movies will save it), but in a similar fashion to PS2, the console's sales will build with the arrival of the franchise titles (or as I like to call them, the games people actually care about).

Not sure where your BestBuy is located, but the two by my area had about 45 and 60 people lined up outside. Also, after daily phone-calls, it took about 4ish months before one was able to just walk in and pick up an Xbox 360.

I'm located in the Best Buy that is accessed by the biggest city in the state and a dozen or so of neighboring towns. The store is ranked 2nd (out of 15 stores) in the district in terms of revenue, so that gives you a picture of how many people we get and how busy we are.

I just saw the hype die down after about 2-3 weeks of the release.

I think this post should be closed, don't you know a Pro-Sony post is not allowed on these boards. Oh well, it's looks like the XBox army are out on full assault and will take this thread down by themselves. :yes:

I still have a bit of respect for him though, simply because he works for Epic - one of the few gaming companies that still treat their customers and potential customers with respect (can you name any other dev companies that offer up multiple bonus packs for free?).

All of Bungie's map packs are now free.

I'm located in the Best Buy that is accessed by the biggest city in the state and a dozen or so of neighboring towns. The store is ranked 2nd (out of 15 stores) in the district in terms of revenue, so that gives you a picture of how many people we get and how busy we are.

The only ones I know in New Jersey are in East Brunwick and Woodbridge are you at either one?

Which BestBuy? You work at this BestBuy?

The only ones I know in New Jersey are in East Brunwick and Woodbridge are you at either one?

Route 22 Union, and we make more money than both of those ;)

Actually, at the Woodbridge(Ghetto town) Walmart in Virginia, they had 150+ people waiting outside. My friend was there. His friend got the last ticket. I guess a lot of people wanted one down here. Now that I think about it, I think every house has a PS2, Xbox, GC, or 360 if they have a kid.

Route 22 Union, and we make more money than both of those ;)

That's pretty surprising seeing as how the two by my house are near one of the biggest malls in the country with the third one inside (one of the?) largest malls in the country only 20 minutes away. All three sold out for months.

Xbox had 4 years and Sony had 6 isn't that correct?

^ Perhaps L3thal told everyone they were breaking like mad and PS3 would be superior anyway. I know alot of sales persons who say that local to me. Just like sales persons who tell their consumers Blu-Ray is better.