Tour de France winner Landis tests positive

because he took doping, i'm guessing his tour victory will be taken away. Ofcourse there is still the contra expertise, but I don't think that will change anything.

John Wilcockson on Cold Pizza is saying that Landis will probably get suspended and the second place finisher will be the winner of the Tour De France. Quite sad actually, great story now turns to a disaster (that is after we learn all the details).

SOURCE

It is a bit of a stretch just yet to say that he is the biker who failed the test.

COPENHAGEN, Denmark ? Tour de France winner Floyd Landis failed to show up for a one-day race in Denmark on Thursday, a day after missing a scheduled event in the Netherlands.

Danish organizers said they had arranged a contract and plane tickets for Landis and Phonak teammates to participate in the 1,200-metre Grand Prix Jyske Bank race in Silkeborg, 240 kilometres west of Copenhagen.

"He was not on the plane," organizer Jesper Tikoeb said. "We don't know where he is. It's pretty mysterious. We know nothing, really nothing at all."

He said his calls to the Phonak team went unanswered.

Landis also failed to appear for the Acht van Chaam race in the Netherlands on Wednesday.

"We were told by the other two riders that he couldn't join because he was travelling with team manager (John) Lelangue to his doctor in Germany," event organizer Theo van der Westerlaken said. ``That's all we know."

The American racer did take part in a criterium race Tuesday in Stiphout, Netherlands, winning the event.

Cycling Services, which booked teams for both Dutch events, said it has been trying without success to get in contact with Phonak for an explanation.

Cycling Services spokesman Marten van Steen said another Phonak rider, Robert Hunter, indicated that Landis had gone to see his doctor in Germany for his hip problem.

Landis said during the Tour de France that he was riding with an arthritic hip and would need replacement surgery.

"I don't know any more than what I was told last night, that he (Landis) had trouble with his hip and needed to go to his doctor in Germany," another Phonak rider, Koos Moerenhout, said.

Contacted by the Associated Press, the Phonak press office referred calls to Lelangue. Calls to Lelangue's cellphone went unanswered, and messages weren't immediately returned.

Landis won the Tour de France on Sunday, keeping the title in U.S. hands for the eighth straight year after Lance Armstrong's record seven victories.

The International Cycling Union said Wednesday that a cyclist failed a doping test during the tour. It said the name, team and nationality won't be released until the testing process is completed, including the analysis of a backup sample.UCI did say the rider's team and national federation were notified, as well as national and world anti-doping authorities. USA Cycling has not been contacted by UCI, spokesman Andy Lee said Wednesday. U.S. Anti-Doping Agency spokeswoman Carla O'Connell said that group had no comment.b>

On the eve of the Tour's start, nine riders ? including pre-race favourites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso ? were ousted, implicated in a Spanish doping investigation.

Nevermind, I see this and see that he has been explicitly named:

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-f...sto933039.shtml

_41921284_landis203_bodyap.jpg

PARIS (Reuters) - Tour de France winner Floyd Landis has tested positive for the male sex hormone testosterone, the U.S. rider's Phonak team said on Thursday, dealing a savage blow to cycling's most prestigious race.

"The Phonak Cycling Team was notified yesterday by (world cycling body) the UCI of an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone ratio in the test made on Floyd Landis after stage 17 of the Tour de France," Phonak said in a team statement.

It was the first time in the history of the showpiece event that its winner had given a positive drugs test during the race. If Landis's B sample confirms the result of his A sample, the 30-year-old is certain to be stripped of his victory.

In the 17th stage, a grueling mountain ride to Morzine in the French Alps a week ago, Landis produced an incredible comeback a day after a disastrous showing had appeared to ruin his chances of victory.

The rider from Pennsylvania crossed the line over five minutes and ahead of Spaniard Carlos Sastre and went on to win the race in Paris, succeeding compatriot Lance Armstrong who retired last year after winning the Tour a record seven times.

Phonak said Landis would not ride until the matter had been clarified and said that if the B sample confirmed the positive result, the rider would be dismissed.

Phonak added: "The team management and the rider were both totally surprised by this physiological result.

Continued here...

Whole Article Here

I just found it funny that he almost collapsed on the last climb in stage 16 which dropped him more than 8 minutes back. Then the next stage he suddenly blew everyone away and closed to less than 30 seconds from the leader. I hope it isn't true, but if it is, he deservs to have the title stripped.

Edit: Also, the title is misleading, he is still champion as of right now.

Oh, I'm sure everyone is France.. or probably all of Europe is just eating this up. That ****es me off if he did, now every American will look bad at the race.

I heard this also, most of the riders take drugs, they do 230 km a day on average so a little extra male hormones I think is acceptable.

Be honest let all take drugs then they have no need for scandal.

if eeryone will take drugs then it wont be very fair...since tehre will be alot of drugs with different effects etc. And in any case people will take something thats forbiden.

now about floyd landis...really sad if he really used any doping. no matter how much i dont like him its still not a cool way. but at least a spaniard will get 1nd place and german 2nd :D

He hasn't been stripped of the title yet...They still have to do the "B" test. If the "B" test has the same results then he will be stripped of the Tour de France title.