Site logo and layout needed! :)

Question

What's up guys,

I'm working on an upcoming gaming news website, that will be for PC games, xbox.. anything gamig-related :)

I'm looking for a professional look that goes along the looks of these websites:

gamesindustry.biz

totalvideogames.com

Frank's nav bar; :p

www.contrasthosting.com

Something along those websites. Please also keep in mind that those are merely for examples of what I'm looking for and should not be copied in any way. I do need the main page coded, and I can code the rest of the sub-pages once I have the main page code. The winner of the logo and layout design will receive a lifetime's worth of our medium LARGE hosting plan located at;

http://www.xmshosting.net/Services

Another $30.00 on top of that will be awarded to the winner via paypal when completed if desired.

Additional Info:

Site's Name: Pure Gaming News (PGN)

Colors: I don't care, just make it look sleek and professional please. I will judge upon the logo first, then base the layout from the logo. The logo should be presented first! Winner of the serperate logo contest will be awrded a life time subscribe to our small hosting plan.

Thanks,

Mike

Please contact support@xmshosting.net for any questions you might have.

The contest will be ending tonight at midnight.

Edited by oddcrap

Some questions...

I'm not very good at designing logos, but I think I can come up with a decent site layout. Is the logo most important? Or will a spectacular site design win over a spectacular logo?

Do you have any filler content, or ideas for content for the site? Text isn't a problem (I'd just use lipsum), but do you plan on having videos, screenshots, etc. on the homepage? Could you give us an idea of what will be on the homepage, so that we can plan this into the site design?

Thanks...lifetime hosting would be pretty nice.

Alright...well, I got a bit bored and starting coming up with an idea for an entire design. Note: The logo is more of a placeholder right now (unless you like it :laugh: ). As you can see, the design is a bit rough still, but I think it gives a general idea of the concept I came up with. I figured if you don't end up using it, I can save it for a rainy day. :rofl:

A bit explanation (as it is still just an image): The "reviews" button is an example of a rollover. When you mouse over the reviews, I was thinking the console selection would come up underneath it (where you see PC, playstation, xbox, etc.). That might be hard to understand as it is still just a mock-up.

preview.gif

Click image for website.

Hope you like. :)

Some questions...

I'm not very good at designing logos, but I think I can come up with a decent site layout. Is the logo most important? Or will a spectacular site design win over a spectacular logo?

Do you have any filler content, or ideas for content for the site? Text isn't a problem (I'd just use lipsum), but do you plan on having videos, screenshots, etc. on the homepage? Could you give us an idea of what will be on the homepage, so that we can plan this into the site design?

Thanks...lifetime hosting would be pretty nice.

Sorry for not responding in such a long period of time, the logo is not the most imporatant actually, the overall look of the layout is more important but the logo is indeed the 2nd most important. I'm going to see if I can give away a small lifetime hosting plan if someone can come up with a kick-ass logo (and not the entire layout) so we can combine the two :D. I'll be considering that tonight. As far as the spectacular site design over the logo, I'd prefer the site. But, I'll go back tonight and check the other options, as stated above.

Filler content:

I'm going to search for an extremely customizable news script that is sort of like neowin (perhaps CuteNews, or FusionNews) to blend in with the layout. The main front page news is strictly going to be for the latest gaming news. No reviews. We'll get into more details about the nav bar and footer depending on who I choose.

Again, the homepage should display the latest gaming news straight down. But, I'm going to consider cutenews, or fusionnews (depending on how well the layout designer is farmiliar with customizing it).

Alright...well, I got a bit bored and starting coming up with an idea for an entire design. Note: The logo is more of a placeholder right now (unless you like it :laugh: ). As you can see, the design is a bit rough still, but I think it gives a general idea of the concept I came up with. I figured if you don't end up using it, I can save it for a rainy day. :rofl:

A bit explanation (as it is still just an image): The "reviews" button is an example of a rollover. When you mouse over the reviews, I was thinking the console selection would come up underneath it (where you see PC, playstation, xbox, etc.). That might be hard to understand as it is still just a mock-up.

preview.gif

Click image for website.

Hope you like. :)

I actually like the layout alot - but the backround and the logo: could use some work. :p Any other questions feel free to ask, but I think I answered all of them in my above post. Maybe we can do something about that blue bg bar, and the logo.

I like your layout, all it needs is a proper logo.

Same here, and a few tweaks. Can anyone else come up with something? Let's get the logo's rolling in :yes:

PGN.jpg

tell me what you think!

Heres a revision (again - the logo isn't anything special, but a good idea might still come to me):

preview2.gif

Both are SO nice! (Y):D

So code layout + logo? I can do that, I'm pretty good with layouts. You may even see something never done before O.o (like my replacement for tabs which I came up with a little while ago...)

pgnts0.png

My really crappy attempt, took me a minute or two. Yey.

Or..

pgn2gm9.png

I'd put more effort in but I'm sick and I just cba to right now..

jukeboxhero52: I love your logo, aswell as your layout. Your website looks good too. :)

Edited by Hoovey

:rofl: Sorry about the late responses everyone, I've had work 2:00-10:30 :(

Is there a deadline ?

Technically yes, by the end of August. The very latest.

ye if theres a deadline then i wont enter, if not then i will slowly make a lovely template.

Read above :p

The layout needs to be fully coded? :D

If yes im out..sorry but im not good coding..

No, but I prefer it to be. I only need the front page coded and I cant work out all the others.

So code layout + logo? I can do that, I'm pretty good with layouts. You may even see something never done before O.o (like my replacement for tabs which I came up with a little while ago...)

:D Correct.

Thanks for the kind (and undeserving) words everyone. Its comments like these that motivate me through the learning process.

I really like the updated logo. A few things need to be changed, but I can't think about them off the top of my head right now :pinch: But, way to go with the updated logo :yes:

EDIT: Is there any way you can make the layout bigger to fit the actual size of the logo :) I'm looking for a full page site :blink: I don't want to have to cram all the news.

EDIT2: The width of gamesindustry.biz works :laugh:

EDIT3: Is there any chance you cna change the light blue with the site to a darker blue?

Edited by oddcrap