(k)ubuntu & nvidia driver

Hi,

I recently decided to try Linux (as i do every year :p) and picked Suse 10.1 as my starting point. After tinkering around blindly, i have managed to get the installation to be pretty much usable, so i've backed it up and now i've decided to give ubuntu a try.

No problems installing it, but when i come to update the Nvidia driver using the same method as i did in Suse, it appears to work until reboot, after which it hangs on the loading screen (black screen, blue progress bar, Kubuntu at the top).

basically, what i did was this:

downloaded the kernel tools/headers etc from apt installer wotsit.

quit KDE, went to console as root (sudo in ubuntu) and ran the driver using:

sh <driver package name> -q

the driver then recompiles some stuff and says its completed and asks to reboot.

after reboot, it stops dead. :unsure: This didnt happen on Suse.

Any ideas? i'd really like to get this working as i'd like to try out Automatix and some other stuff.

thanks in advance

I don't know that much about linux yet. But I guess it's a problem with loading the kernel module for the nvidia driver if it hangs before starting the X interface. The nvidia driver has an uninstall function, just boot into safe mode and run the installer again. It will tell you that it will try to uninstall the driver. If that worked you'll probably be able to boot into ubuntu again like before and I suggest you try installing the driver via "apt-get install nvidia-glx".

I don't know that much about linux yet. But I guess it's a problem with loading the kernel module for the nvidia driver if it hangs before starting the X interface. The nvidia driver has an uninstall function, just boot into safe mode and run the installer again. It will tell you that it will try to uninstall the driver. If that worked you'll probably be able to boot into ubuntu again like before and I suggest you try installing the driver via "apt-get install nvidia-glx".

thanks for the reply, i'll try that now! :shifty:

ok, so i spent most of last night attempting to install the nvidia driver (from nvidia.com) on kubuntu.

Basically, i've had enough of it. When using Suse, everything worked fine, as the binutils & kernel sources etc that are needed by the driver to recompile are all easily available in Yast. Once these are installed, the driver install works smoothly and everything is funky.

When using Ubuntu, i cannot find any entries in the adept updater for binutils or kernel sources. Once i'd managed to install the binutils, the installer still didnt work, presumably because i haven't installed the kernel bits.

Can anyone help here please?

1.How do i make the adept updater list some useful software like Yast does in Suse?

2.Does anyone actually know how to install the nvidia driver properly in ubuntu? I spent hours trying people's "guides" from forums etc, with no luck at all.

I think i'll stick with Suse if i can't get ubuntu working, TBH i think i find Suse to be a better product. I wanted to try ubuntu as it appears to be the best distro for new users!... at this point, i don't agree! :unsure:

Why try installing it with the sources you find on nvidia.com, why not try and install it with the precompiled package in apt? There is a little tutorial overhere. And that little tutorial is all that is needed to install the drivers. Only the "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable" part could give some trouble maybe and screw up your xorg.conf like it did with mine. It's better to manual edit the xorg.conf and change the graphics driver inside from "nv" to "nvidia".

To be able to install things properly from source, you'll have to have the build-essential package installed to have the basic compilers and then you need the kernel headers. The kernel headers you can install with the package linux-headers-* (with star being your kernel version). If you're still getting errors then you might need to install some other libraries. Read the errors to find out with libraries.

Hope that helps a bit.

yeah i dont undertstand why you're trying to install the kernel from source when ubuntu has it in its repositories. either use the GUI one or th command line to install the package for you.. then edit your X.org conf file.

-Bolero

yeah i dont undertstand why you're trying to install the kernel from source when ubuntu has it in its repositories. either use the GUI one or th command line to install the package for you.. then edit your X.org conf file.

-Bolero

i resorted to this in the end, and at last i've got it working! :rofl:

thanks for the help :yes:

i will continue on in my quest :whistle: