New Windows Live Mail Desktop released

can't get it to start

Starting Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta for the first time requires an online connection. Please connect to the internet and then try again. (0x80048883)

Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta could not be started because msmail.dll could not be initialized. Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta may not be installed correctly.

I guess it's because I am behind a proxy... I have tried running IE7 and browsing to a page to authenticate with the proxy and then running the program but this doesn't work

One of the MS Blogs suggests that error occurs because OE is running atthe same time, mine was disabled in the Program Access dialog, I enabled it and then uninstalled it and reinstalled WLM but it still doesn't work.

Another poster on the forum suggests having auto update enabled, mine is enabled. He/she also suggests running windows update, this doesn't work.

I've also tried installing the older version (same error) and updating with microsoft update (although the update doesn't appear on there)

Any ideas? :(

Edited by Z3r0

Thanks for posting the link to it. Installed it and it's working fine. Seems to run better and I like the slightly modified look. My only complaint is, did anyone else have a bunch of useless .log files show up on your desktop after installing it? That's annoying. It happens everytime I run it. Anyone know how to stop it from doing that?

Right click the shortcut and put "C:\Program Files\Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta\" in the start in field.

They are safe to delete from your desktop after that.

Thanks for the tip, jeston. Now I can use it. As someone else said, what happened to the send/receive button? That's kind of important in a mail client, Microsoft. Why would they remove it?

Thanks for posting the link to it. Installed it and it's working fine. Seems to run better and I like the slightly modified look. My only complaint is, did anyone else have a bunch of useless .log files show up on your desktop after installing it? That's annoying. It happens everytime I run it. Anyone know how to stop it from doing that?

I noticed that as well. I just deleted them.

i don't know what's the problem, but when i install this new version, it says that download the latest version from ideas.live.com, and interrupts the installation. I tried removing the old version and than install this, it also didn't work, and when i tried installing the older version, the same error occurs!?!? So what can i do?

IS NNTP access broken in this build? Everytime I've tried to use newsgroups it crashes, on 2 separate systems - briefly saw something alluding to this in the newsgroups before I hosed my installation trying to access the newsgroups a few times.

Anyone else feel this is a huge improvement on the old beta? I'm quite impressed with it myself so far! :)

Not tried this version yet, however the previous version just did not work.

Kept giving a memory error.

they need a "report and delete" button. They also need an option to not notify when a new junk email is received, i only want notifying when a new mail has arrived in my inbox. apart from that i like it.

there is an ad patch by a-patch btw ppl!

I was a beta participant for the first beta release, and I've tried the second release.

However I prefer the web-based version of Windows Live Mail. Both standard and basic versions of the Windows Live Mail client seem to be more stable than the desktop client. I think the web client/s handle junk mail better (with the report and delete buttons, etc) and are easier to use. :book:

Build .932 is out, get it from ideas.live.com

Source: www.liveside.net

Some major interface & functionality improvements even compared to the previously leaked .924 from a week ago...the ads have also been overhauled, unfortunately, so if anyone can figure out how to ResHack this one, I'd love to know :)

you MUST uninstall old versions or it will crash as i found out.

I LOVE this build i had the really old build, now this has add sender to blocklist and delete mail which it was missing badly.

you MUST uninstall old versions or it will crash as i found out.

I LOVE this build i had the really old build, now this has add sender to blocklist and delete mail which it was missing badly.

Doh

If I uninstall will I lose my e-mails or anything like that?

Thanks

Never noticed the contacts in the previous build - formerly you had to have Messenger running to edit or amend the address book - nice!

post-19017-1155232547.jpg

I cant get the thing to work on my machine even after I reinstalled my XP..

it shows the same error allways...:(

hope this will work for me :)