John Terry named England Captain

Chelsea defender John Terry has been named as the new captain of England.

Terry succeeds David Beckham as skipper after the Real Madrid star stepped down from the role following England's elimination to Portugal at the World Cup.

McClaren has been weighing up his options on who could replace Beckham and Terry will be given the job of leading England for the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Terry beat the likes of Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Gary Neville of Manchester United to the prestigious role.

The 25-year-old has matured into one of the best defenders in world football and has skippered Chelsea to two successive Premiership titles.

Terry has also established himself as a cornerstone of the national team in the last few seasons and his leadership qualities have impressed McClaren.

Terry hailed his appointment as England's new skipper, speaking of his delight at McClaren's decision.

"It is the ultimate honour to be the captain of your country and I am very proud to be given this great opportunity," Terry told the FA's official website.

"It is an incredible challenge and one I am looking forward to very much."

McClaren has also decided to hand Gerrard the vice-captaincy and he admitted it was a tough decision between Terry and Gerrard.

"Choosing a captain is one of the most important decisions a coach has to make," said McClaren.

"I'm certain I've got the right man in John Terry. I'm convinced he will prove to be one of the best captains England has ever had.

"John has all the attributes an international captain needs: leadership, authority, courage, ability, tactical awareness and a total refusal to accept second-best.

"He has been an inspiration for Chelsea and is at his best in adversity.

"Over the five years I've been involved with the England coaching set-up I've seen first hand the respect that John has among his fellow players.

"There are a number of strong leaders in the squad and he will not lack support on and off the pitch.

"Steven Gerrard was a strong candidate for the captaincy and he will be my vice-captain. He is an outstanding player and another superb club skipper who also leads by example.

"I told Steven when I spoke to him today that I'm sure he will also get the chance to lead his country while I'm head coach."

John Terry is an immense player, and will be a great Captain. I would still have prefered Stevie G to have got it as I think he would provide the drive from midfield, and would be a more effective leader.

Good luck to Terry though (Y).

I think the reason Gerrard was not captain as he isn't in London and Lampard situ.

Prefer captain to be Gerrard, England team is better without Lampard in it.

Darn, I wanted it to be Steven Gerrard mainly because I've been a Liverpool fan my whole life. Congrats to John Terry and at least Steven is vice captain.

By the way, Martyn, I'm a little worried about Liverpool since in their first leg against Maccabi Haifa they only won 2-1. If Maccabi Haifa play like they did yesterday in the second leg, Liverpool are in trouble.

Darn, I wanted it to be Steven Gerrard mainly because I've been a Liverpool fan my whole life. Congrats to John Terry and at least Steven is vice captain.

By the way, Martyn, I'm a little worried about Liverpool since in their first leg against Maccabi Haifa they only won 2-1. If Maccabi Haifa play like they did yesterday in the second leg, Liverpool are in trouble.

I was a bit worried at first as well. What you have to remember though, is some of our players have only been in training for two weeks. So when we play them in another two week's we should be a lot better. We played pretty poor last night, but that was highlighted more by the fact that Maccabi Haifa played very well, it was not like we underestimated them though considering Rafa had a tough time against them when he played them at Valencia.

According to Rafa we have been training very hard and improving our fitness, which is as very good thing and we will certainly reap the benefit's throughout the season.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

I was a bit worried at first as well. What you have to remember though, is some of our players have only been in training for two weeks. So when we play them in another two week's we should be a lot better. We played pretty poor last night, but that was highlighted more by the fact that Maccabi Haifa played very well, it was not like we underestimated them though considering Rafa had a tough time against them when he played them at Valencia.

According to Rafa we have been training very hard and improving our fitness, which is as very good thing and we will certainly reap the benefit's throughout the season.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

You'll Never Walk Alone indeed. :yes: (Y)

Hmm In my opinion it was just a toss of a coin :p Gerrard and Terry certainly both have the capabilities to be the England skipper.

Next up. Watching Lampard dropped <_<

hopefully england can win sometihng now :)

Well 2 thorns have been in Englands side and their chances of winning a tournament have been zero with these 2 thorns.

1)Sven Goran Eriksson

2)David Beckham

Now 1 is gone for good, hopefully Beckham won't be playing for England again and we can play out a decent team.

Well 2 thorns have been in Englands side and their chances of winning a tournament have been zero with these 2 thorns.

1)Sven Goran Eriksson

2)David Beckham

Now 1 is gone for good, hopefully Beckham won't be playing for England again and we can play out a decent team.

Look's like you got your wish, as Beckham has not been included in the squad!

Personally I think England's best side on paper (when all players are fit) is:

-------------------------Robinson-----------------------

Neville---------Carragher---------Terry--------A. Cole

------------------Carrick-------Hargreaves-----------

Lennon-----------------Gerrard------------------J. Cole

--------------------------Rooney------------------------

Drop Lampard, that was the best can be gained out of Gerrard. Hargreaves would cover the ground very well, get some solid tackles in and Carrick would spray the ball around well. Gerrard would provide the drive, passing ability and just about everything else though the midfield. Joe Cole and Aaron Lennon would provide pace, skill and the ability to beat their man.

Hopefully we will get some more decent players through the youth ranks for the future.

Lampard is not good enough to play for England.

I like the guy, he is fluent in Latin and well educated.

I see the way he strikes the ball, it looks hard, however, it doesnt go that hard.

As for Beckham, he should not have been picked for euro 2004 or wc 2006.

I can't see what he gives the team, when you have Shaun Wright-Phillips and Aaron Lennon.

WEEEEEEEEE beckham has gone for good hopefully.

He was useless this world cup. "Look at me i can boot the ball up to no strikers"

Hopefully this means we can play a 2 up front. We can't really play rooney up front on his own, and i don't think we would be able to get gerrad to sit behind him. Because stevey likes to do abit of runing between midfield and the front. So when rooney is having his walks we got no one lol.

I hope Shaun Wright Philips gets in the squad again, hopefully he can become the player like he was, then we got him and lennon on the right. With cole and downing on the left.

Also i hope hargreaves moves back to england, i think his football would improve and then he won't take so long to find his style and place in the england squad

Look's like you got your wish, as Beckham has not been included in the squad!

Personally I think England's best side on paper (when all players are fit) is:

-------------------------Robinson-----------------------

Neville---------Carragher---------Terry--------A. Cole

------------------Carrick-------Hargreaves-----------

Lennon-----------------Gerrard------------------J. Cole

--------------------------Rooney------------------------

Drop Lampard, that was the best can be gained out of Gerrard. Hargreaves would cover the ground very well, get some solid tackles in and Carrick would spray the ball around well. Gerrard would provide the drive, passing ability and just about everything else though the midfield. Joe Cole and Aaron Lennon would provide pace, skill and the ability to beat their man.

Hopefully we will get some more decent players through the youth ranks for the future.

I don't think Rooney should be a lone striker because I heared that's what his reason why he got irritated in the Portugal game.

I don't think Rooney should be a lone striker because I heared that's what his reason why he got irritated in the Portugal game.

He could not play that role very well in the Portugal game because he was unfit, but when he is fit and on top of his game he is very good at it. The whole idea of the formation is that it turns into a 4-3-3 when attacking, with Rooney, Cole, Lennon and even Gerrard leading the line.

Sometimes he does need some support though, and maybe him and Owen up front would be a good partnership, but that way we would not get the best out of the midfield.

No matter what you can't get a very sucess full game if you leave rooney up front on his own.

Rooney goes and collects the ball, thus his team can start to push up for him and then they can mount an attack.

But in the world cup when he was up front the midfield never pushed up enough and this ment the lack of goals.

Now that was down to sven, but if Mclaren wants to do that with rooney then he has to shape his midfield and tell em to push

No matter what you can't get a very sucess full game if you leave rooney up front on his own.

Rooney goes and collects the ball, thus his team can start to push up for him and then they can mount an attack.

But in the world cup when he was up front the midfield never pushed up enough and this ment the lack of goals.

Now that was down to sven, but if Mclaren wants to do that with rooney then he has to shape his midfield and tell em to push

HEAR HEAR!

terry will be a great captin. im sure gerrard will be a great vice captin aswell and i wud have been happy if gerrard had got the captincy but im glad its terry as i think for sum strange reason i just preffer defenders as captins. its probb coz i play in defence but ar well.