Is It Me Or Does Visual Basic Suck?

Question

Well first off VB.net is not VB, at least not beyond the name and a few syntax similiarities. Secondly, VB is great for what it is, once you get beyond that or try and compare it to more advanced languages, then yeah it sucks at times. VB is a RAD (rapid application development) tool, hence it is best for writting quick and dirty little programs or for prototyping.

Delphi is another good RAD tool, one that can also be extended to do more advanced tasks that VB sometimes requires special little "hacks" to do right.

Completely agree... the only thing i'd add would be the fact that VB.Net seems like a simplified long-hand version of C#.....

oh yeah it does suck from a programmers point of view... but is incredibly useful for prototyping and GUIs....

oh yeah soon you won't have to do the 20Mb .Net Installtion.... it will be part of windows.... no doubt......

as long as we aren't talking about VBScript which really does suck.

Peeeeeeeeeeeeez

I'd venture to say that Visual Basic .NET is just as capable as anyother language in the .NET framework and is just as superior. Anyone with experience in any of the .NET languages - J#, C#, VB7 - can learn any of the other languages with incredible ease. In VS.NET 2002, VB and C# are the only RAD languages, however as of Everett's release C++.NET will also be considered one (due to redesign).