Ireland 0 - Holland 4

Our worse defeat at home in 40 years. Ok, we missed 8 first team regulars, but so did holland...

It was the closest thing to anal probing i can imagine. :no:

This result would turn a man off sport...

What now? :(

I must say it was a nice game, not really representative but fun. I'm sorry I am Dutch and I see this as a revange for what happend 4 years ago, disqualification!

:)

Huntlaar looked impressive. He will be one of the best players in the world in the future. He is only young and has averaged a goal a game at each club he has been at, and even scored two on his international debut!

Our worse defeat at home in 40 years. Ok, we missed 8 first team regulars, but so did holland...

It was the closest thing to anal probing i can imagine. :no:

This result would turn a man off sport...

What now? :(

We didn't miss a lot of regulars tbh... Only Wesley Sneijder as far as I know, he'd have played for sure, but other then that, I think this would've been the starting eleven as well...

I just want to hear what Van Basten has to say about the fact that we took Van Nistelrooy to the world cup, instead of Hunterlaar who by then already had proven to be waaaay better

Huntelarr is great but I still prefer Van Nistelrooy. I don't know why Van Basten continues to ignore him. Great performance by one of my favorite national teams though.

well, currently hunterlaar is just way better then van nistelrooy, so I can perfectly understand it. Van Nistelrooy played pretty dissapointing on the WC... and Huntelaar played an amazing EC for players under 21 years

well, currently hunterlaar is just way better then van nistelrooy, so I can perfectly understand it. Van Nistelrooy played pretty dissapointing on the WC... and Huntelaar played an amazing EC for players under 21 years

Damn right..

Too bad I missed the game last night, sounds like it was a lot of fun. :p

Huntelarr is great but I still prefer Van Nistelrooy. I don't know why Van Basten continues to ignore him. Great performance by one of my favorite national teams though.

Because by the time Euro 2008 comes along Van Nistlerooy will be 32, and Huntelaar will be 24. It is similar to why Beckham was dropped, because we are building a team for the future.

I still don't understand why Roy Makaay and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink aren't on the Dutch team. Roy Makaay still scores tons of goals and has tons of pace just like JFH. What's the deal?

I still don't understand why Roy Makaay and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink aren't on the Dutch team. Roy Makaay still scores tons of goals and has tons of pace just like JFH. What's the deal?

It's just to do with Holland's formation. They play 4-3-3 when attacking, which converts to 4-5-1 when defending. Holland have always gone with that formation.

So that formation means that they can only play one proper striker at a time, and they play two attacking wingers (Van Persie, Robben) as well. They did try Kuyt as a winger in the World Cup, but that did not work (well he is a striker...).

If you think about it Holland have Kuyt, Van Nistlerooy, Huntelaar, Makaay, Babel, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, Kluivert and Hasselbaink!! They cant play them all, although it would be interesting if they did :p.