america and its sports  

39 members have voted

1. 1. what is americas sport.

• football(american)
    • baseball
    • basketballl
    • hockey
    • other
  2. 2. has football pass baseball as americas sport?

• yes
    • no

what sport is america now.

50 years ago baseball was best in america, but now football is as american as apple pie.

my question to you is, is baseball "still" americas game?

i dont think so, i love football everything about it. i see baseball players as over paid drugies.

and a 2nd question is, has MLB since 2000 change the way people look at baseball.

You say baseball players are overpaid drugies what about these football players. First off, I think football is so much better than baseball, but that's besides the point right now. There are tons of football players getting arrested for stuff a lot more than I think baseball players are. Like come on, this linebacker from the Bengals goes and robs a former college team mate....and he's making how much money?! I find football players to be worse in a criminal sense than baseball players.

Anyways, when I think I football I definitely don't think of it as America's favorite passtime, I'd always assume baseball as I'm sure a lot of other people would.

I'd better not vote in this poll as I'll have trouble resisting voting for hockey.

I will say, however, that I was surprised to see that 19% of Canadians followed the Canadian Football League compared to 13% of Canadians that followed hockey. I thought hockey was THE sport in Canada. Perhaps that poll (I think it was Macleans.ca) was done during the NHL lockout.

With all the show of flags, the national anthem, god bless america, etc., baseball still represents america. Football's very popular and a great sport, but I don't see it as America's pasttime.

Oh and since when does taking steroids make you a drugie? I know a few drugies who would get offended by that.

this isnt even close, all you have to do is compare the ratings and you'll see the huge difference

from what I read and heard its now 1.NFL 2. NBA 3. MLB

i would not be surprised if the NBA starts catching up to the NFL because they now have a great nucleus to work around for the first time since the Jordan era (Lebron, Wade, Chris Paul, Kobe, etc etc)

A good thing to watch for is either a sunday night/monday NFL regular season game vs. the MLB world series. I dont know who would win, but I think it would be pretty close.

But when the NFL season kicks into high gear, like thanksgiving on. I doubt any other sport comes close.

And I think the fact that its a drug allows him to label the guy that uses a drug a druggie (although we cannot actually tell whether or not the person is dependent on the drug, which is really what a druggie is)

Edited by Richey02hg

this isnt even close, all you have to do is compare the ratings and you'll see the huge difference

if you are only looking at ratings, then somehow you have to account for the difference in the number of games since a baseball team has 10 times more games. you don't have to get all excited for every game in baseball, but if you miss a football game, then you're missing a large portion of the season. so i don't think its easy to compare ratings because a single football game will probably look a lot better on paper than a single normal (not yankees vs. red sox) baseball game.

I like to play baseball but I hate watching it, its to slow and boring when watching. Football has surpassed

baseball as the number one sport, just look at the TV ratings and sports paraphanelia and equipment sold.

if you are only looking at ratings, then somehow you have to account for the difference in the number of games since a baseball team has 10 times more games. you don't have to get all excited for every game in baseball, but if you miss a football game, then you're missing a large portion of the season. so i don't think its easy to compare ratings because a single football game will probably look a lot better on paper than a single normal (not yankees vs. red sox) baseball game.

thats correct, thats why I would be interested to see world series baseball vs. an NFL regular season game

althought it impossible to say, because unless its new york or boston in the series, alot of people just wont watch

@Boxster17

im sorry if i got you mad, im not saying NFL players are better people then MLB players. i didnt mean it like that and im sorry if it came out like that.

but when i think of money wise NFL players get paid less then NBA and NHL players(i might be wrong). i see MLB was a leage dont realy care if they players are using steroids. i was looking in my local news paper showing how many games you will miss because of using any banned supstance*(sorry bad speller) and for 1st time positive result you get suspended for 4 games in NFL, and 10 games in NBA but only 8 days in baseball(it was some time ago) and the 2nd positive results will get you miss one season of NFL, and alot of NBA but less then 1 month of baseball. it seems to me that baseball doesnt care about cheats(but i do like the betting thing).

but i dont think baseball players are law criminals like some NFL and NBA players.

i was looking in my local news paper showing how many games you will miss because of using any banned supstance*(sorry bad speller) and for 1st time positive result you get suspended for 4 games in NFL, and 10 games in NBA but only 8 days in baseball(it was some time ago)

Don't forget that 4 NFL games represent a much higher percentage of the overall season than 8 days (or games) in baseball. That strengthens your point even more (if you think of it in terms of percentages of the season).

its true that baseball has more game witch make one game more importent then 1 baseball game and maybe 1 nfl game= 8 baseball games. what will you wather do, watch 1 NFL game or 15 MLB games. who many avg baseball fan will watch a game without their fav team.

i got another question:

how will watch a whole season of a team that isnt their fav. i watch 1/2 of the 49er games and im a raider fan, will a fan of baseball watch their rival who suck real bad that year (i think i saw 2 card/9er games)? i dont think any baseball fan will watch will watch what 20 or so games of 2 bad teams(one of them their rival)

pretty much.. it's all about context...

though im not american i always thought americans prefer football > basketball > baseball > hockey

but i have no idea why baseball/daytona are on the lists, those bore me out

It used to be NFL> NBA> MLB> NHL. Now I think it's NFL> MLB> NBA> NHL.

It seems to me that the NBA has lost some of it's ground. Maybe it's just me. A lot of people who used to watch basketball, including myself, but don't do it anymore. As far as a respectable sport, I think MLB has a huge lead.

It seems to me that the NBA has lost some of it's ground. Maybe it's just me. A lot of people who used to watch basketball, including myself, but don't do it anymore. As far as a respectable sport, I think MLB has a huge lead.

well alot of people see baseball players as cheats, they see NFL player a little higher to light.

but your right about NBA it kinda pulled way from the fan it use to be one NBC from start to end but now it ABC gets a x mass game and less then 20 games on none cable/ sat. before playoffs. so at the end of the season im not into basketball i miss most of the season then they want me to watch playoffs. do i want to show them its ok to take basketball from me for most of the year.

a big middle finger to NBA :angry:

and NHL moving up at some point NBA will be after NHL.

and the NHL just had a lock out but its moving in the right direction unlike the NBA. and i think MJ was the face of NBA for years. and after the lakers won the 3, basketball kind died for me(if im not wrong that is when they moved to ABC and mostly TNT.

Dont forget that MLB now has the 3 strikes and your out rule for steroids...

Caught once = Suspended for 50 games

Caught twice = Suspended for 100 games

Caught triple = Banned from Baseball for life(I think anyway, this or suspended for season).

It's because HE is not playing anymore.

Baseball will always be America's pastime, but football is the most popular sport.
Exactly. People are basing their votes on "which sport is better" instead of "which sport represents America"

Football is a much better sport. More entertaining and more skill needed.

More skill than what?

Each sport has individual skills that are needed to succeed at that sport that you can't compare to the other sports. Some would argue that the hand-eye coordination needed to hit a baseball makes it the most difficult sport to play. How can you compare the skill needed to sink a 15 foot putt to reading one of Pittsburgh famed zone blitzes? Can you really compare hitting a pitch by Greg Maddux or Roger Clemens to hitting a slapshot in hockey?

More skill than what?

Each sport has individual skills that are needed to succeed at that sport that you can't compare to the other sports. Some would argue that the hand-eye coordination needed to hit a baseball makes it the most difficult sport to play. How can you compare the skill needed to sink a 15 foot putt to reading one of Pittsburgh famed zone blitzes? Can you really compare hitting a pitch by Greg Maddux or Roger Clemens to hitting a slapshot in hockey?

Yes, I do think football needs more skill. You actually have to be in great shape, fast, smart, and you go through tons of films in preparation before every game. It's astonishing to see the number of fatasses in baseball just because they can hit the ball well. If you put some of those overweight bball players in another sport they would look awful, but if you put a football player in baseball I think they could do alright.