New Router...

My netgear router has been dropping its internet connection quite frequently over the last few weeks, especially when more than one computer is connected.

Im sick of it by now, Im going to get a new one, an A -G Router perhaps.... but which one should i get?

I heard Linksys routers are good.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

3rd party firmware... Who provides that?

There quite a few different ones.. Here is a good place to get started

http://www.linksysinfo.org

off the top there is dd-wrt, openwrt, hyperwrt

If looking to play with 3rd party firmware.. you might be better off with router that is fully support with current selling hardware.. Since v5 of the wrt54g they switched the hardware around - and third party firmware is very limited on this new hardware.. I know the micro version of dd-wrt is supported on v5 and v6 - but not v7 as of yet.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title...pported_Devices

Supported Devices as of version v23 SP1 final

So everybody agrees that the WRT54G is the best choice?

the WRT54GL version is the one you want because it is a relabelled version 4 that will accept the 3 rd. party firmware that everyone has been refering to.

Got my vote for the Linksys WRT54G. I install wireless networks and found them to be the easiest, lest trouble, and great third party support. Personally, I use the Talisman firmware but there are others.

BIG WARNING ABOUT THE WRT54G

Make sure it's a v4 or less - otherwise get the WRT54GL. The v5 and up G's and GS's suck! They run vxworks, and their network throughput is horrible.

And Thibor firmware rucks! www.thibor.co.uk

im going to say no to the linksys i got a new router yesterday because it kept crashing every ten minuites, so i brought a belkin from PC world for ?60, preety good