[NHL] Lidstrom to become Wings new captain

He was the only choice other than Zetterberg, but I don't think most people would have wanted Zetterberg, despite the fact that it would have been similar to how Stevie Y got his C (both at an early age).

Zetterberg was a no-show in the playoffs. I wouldnt call him captain material.

Well, the past few years numerous veterans on the Detroit team have been quoted as saying he's the Red Wings' next great captain and the next Steve Yzerman. Some even said they wouldn't be opposed to him being captain over themselves.

And as for the playoffs: who from the Red Wings wasn't a no-show in the playoffs? Zetterberg had 6 goals in 6 games (playoffs).

EDIT: And Lidstrom had 1 goal and a worse +/- rating. Maybe you were thinking of Datsyuk?

ya maybe Datsyuk. It's one of the centers, that I know.

As for Lidstrom, he's a defenceman, you shouldnt expect him to score that often ;)

Yes, I know, that's why I also listed the +/- because it's more indicative of defensemen.

it had to have been datsyuk you were thinking of. doesn't really get much better than 6 goals in 6 games. but still, i would take lidstrom over zetterberg right now.

Henrik Zetterberg, the kid, being captain and leader of the Red Wings? I prefer what the captain used to be: The actual leader of the team, with experience and grit, regardless of whether he was the best player or not. Now, it seems that captain is a title for the team's best, even teenagers such as Sidney Crosby or Vincent Lecavalier. That's not to say that great players are often leaders and captains. Niklas Lidstrom is a leader, albeit one who is also a great player. But to argue over statistics who should be captain is detrimental to the definition of the past.

Henrik Zetterberg, the kid, being captain and leader of the Red Wings? I prefer what the captain used to be: The actual leader of the team, with experience and grit, regardless of whether he was the best player or not. Now, it seems that captain is a title for the team's best, even teenagers such as Sidney Crosby or Vincent Lecavalier. That's not to say that great players are often leaders and captains. Niklas Lidstrom is a leader, albeit one who is also a great player. But to argue over statistics who should be captain is detrimental to the definition of the past.

I guess you'd be against Steve Yzerman being captain if it happened again too :rolleyes:

FYI: Zetta is a leader. That's why the entire organization would have been behind him. But, as I said, Lidstrom is the popular choice for the fans and the smart choice for the team. But to say Zetterberg would have been a bad choice is uninformed.

I guess you'd be against Steve Yzerman being captain if it happened again too :rolleyes:

FYI: Zetta is a leader. That's why the entire organization would have been behind him. But, as I said, Lidstrom is the popular choice for the fans and the smart choice for the team. But to say Zetterberg would have been a bad choice is uninformed.

Stevie Y was a leader. I did say that being a good player doesn't disqualify one for being captain. If you are referring to his choice as captain as a young player, I would not know the atmosphere surrounding that decision, and the team that he began to lead. Sometimes youth can be leaders. I must confess that knowing the details of Detroit are not in my domain, but I have not heard about Zetterberg being a leader in Detroit. Perhaps an outsider's perspective, but I was basing my argument on the fact that most of you seem intent on basing leadership on playing ability. If you do deem Zetterberg a leader, by educated opinion, by all means discuss it in that way. I do disagree with any mention of statistics, though, and I would prefer that you be less insulting. It is only a sport; any perceived ignorance of mine is no reason to respond in that manner.

I didn't treat you as thought you were ignorant on the matter. It seemed to me like you were saying he wasn't qualified to be a leader and had education for the issue in the way you addressed it. If you don't know the circumstances and perspectives from teammates, though, why would you even bother doubting it? Just because of his age?

Do you Wings fans think that Detroit will have some success this comming season, or will they rely on raping low-end teams like Columbus, Chicago and St Loius for a bulk of their points?

Personally, I think the Wings' era is over, but they'll still be in the playoffs, just not in the top ranks.

Red Wings are my fav team in hockey(kinda funny i dont like hockey but i will watch a red wing game and will play as then only in video games). its good to see him become a captain.

Do you Wings fans think that Detroit will have some success this comming season, or will they rely on raping low-end teams like Columbus, Chicago and St Loius for a bulk of their points?

Personally, I think the Wings' era is over, but they'll still be in the playoffs, just not in the top ranks.

They'll be in the top 5 is my bet. I would say top 3 since the division is realtively weak other than Nashville (who always seems to get overlooked), but I'd say they'll only go to the second round of the playoffs. I think they'll do better than this year in the playoffs, though. They have some great young talent... they'll still be successful.

Nashville just signed Dumont, Vokoun should be back.

I dunno how Hasek will fare for you guys, but I dont think he'll be an improvement, especially if he cant finish the season again.

Nashville just signed Dumont, Vokoun should be back.

I dunno how Hasek will fare for you guys, but I dont think he'll be an improvement, especially if he cant finish the season again.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Legace, but Hasek is an upgrade. And Osgood's still backup, so it's not like we don't have a fallback. Osgood may not be as good as he once was, but he's still probably the best backup in the league (or one of the best).