• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Definitive] Linux "Killer" Apps (2006)

mitch00    0

Hehe... I'm trying to add only quality software... which reminds me, where's vi? :p Just joking of course. Yeah like pixels said, those types of things are pretty standard, you don't see me listing cat, grep etc.

Barney T.    2,312
Hehe... I'm trying to add only quality software... which reminds me, where's vi? :p Just joking of course. Yeah like pixels said, those types of things are pretty standard, you don't see me listing cat, grep etc.

Agreed. Thanks for all your efforts, Mitch!

Aaron    27

Very nice collection here. I am amazed to say that even though I have used Linux on my laptop for about 3 years, there are quite a few on this list I'd never seen before (Listen, Deluge).

Good work!

mitch00    0

Thanks guys! It's my pleasure :D

tmahmood    3

Tracker

Desktop Search tool, it is a File indexer and Search tool, pretty first in my opinion and as it is based on C/C++, its better then Beagle

http://www.tracker-project.org

Kreuger    105

Gaim is now Pidgin so that should be fixed :p and I'd like to recommend GQView for graphics viewing and YARSSR for aggregators

moglenstar    0

Monkey Messenger

Monkey Messenger is an open source (MIT licensed) MSN client written using the MONO framework, gtk+ and the MSNPSharp library.

http://monkeymessenger.sourceforge.net/

--

just thought i'd add that, I tried it yesterday and it's working to be a pretty nice msn client. supports nudges, personal messages, display pictures, etc.

ichi    358

Fluttr

Clutter based Flickr photo viewer.

http://njpatel.blogspot.com/2007/06/flickr...ter-fluttr.html

--

Looks cool... would be even cooler if you could also browse your photo collection locally though.

I'll be giving it a try on my laptop as soon as I manage to understand the "building a deb from sources" process :blush:

k311    1

im trying "DeVeDe" right now to get some old movies converted so i can watch on my dvd player and so far it looks alright. very nice and easy video converter :)

mitch00    0

Hmm.. weird that I didn't have DeVeDe on the list already, it's something I use fairly often. Thanks for the reminder I'll add it now.

rson451    0

i really think that feh should be added to the list. but the problem is should it be under image viewer or misc. it is an image viewer but it is sooo much more :)

screen too :)

these are my exact definition of killer linux apps

markjensen    97

I like feh! It is used in my wallpaper resizer, and I also call it in my screenshot app to immediately display what you selected. It is light and fast. It is also handy to feh a directory of images and flip through them.

mitch00    0

updated

mitch00    0

Added FileZilla, Gobby & Easy Crypt

Borbus    1

You should probably add the best text editor in the world: vim.

mitch00    0
You should probably add the best text editor in the world: vim.

rson451    0

maybe add irssi to the list under chat clients? this in combination with screen and ssh get's me through my work day.

Expl0ited    0
maybe add irssi to the list under chat clients? this in combination with screen and ssh get's me through my work day.

I second this motion. another app close to it but a little easier to understand is Weechat Another text based IRC client.

freestyle_web    0
Misc.

Avant-Windows-Navigator.

Avant Window Navgator (Awn) is a dock-like bar which sits at the bottom of the screen (in all its composited-goodness) tracking open windows.

http://code.google.com/p/avant-window-navigator/

Gnome-Launch-Box

Launch Box is generally an application launcher. It's very influenced by Quicksilver for Mac OSX. Remember that this is only a first release so don't get your hopes up too much. Launch Box is written for the GNOME 2.10 platform and depends on GTK+ 2.6, evolution-data-server 1.2 and gnome-menus. These are currently hard dependencies but the plan is to split out the backends into different optional backends.

http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gnome-launch-box

Don't forget about Gnome-Do... IMHO I think Gnome-Do is better than Launch-box

jmartin    0
I have a small addition to your "file transfer" section. A torrent-client called Deluge.

I was very surprised to not see KVIRC listed as a must have irc client. http://www.kvirc.de/

-Hiroshi-    0

Emesene - For looking and working like MSN/Windows Live. I also think this one stepped up when Monkey Messenger closed down, as they look similar.

Billus    132

Haha, how can you forget Songbird?

Definitely one of the best music players on the scene for Linux with integrated Last.fm support.

Shaun N.    569

The list could probably do with a 2011 update :D