Linux

DOS

Unix

FreeBSD

BeOS

OS/2

Here's two tidbits that should be considered when doing the ratings :

1) Rate the OSes on a scale of 0 to 10.

2) Specify the version if you're rating more than one version of the same product! :)

Windows 9 (Hey, the user base is enough to justify the score)

Mac 9 (OS X look way too good)

Linux 6 (Linux Zealot, face that fact, it's the truth)

DOS 2 (it's been done)

Unix 7 (better than linux, not as good for desktop use)

FreeBSD Never used it before

BeOS 7 (good OS but too bad Palm will make it into a PDA OS)

OS/2 (never used it before)

Windows 2000 - 9/10 ,nearly perfect, IMO

Windows XP - 8/10 ,I like it almost as much as 2k, but IE 6 too buggy and Movie Maker is crap

Windows 98 - 7/10 , better than 95, but not too different

Windows ME - 2/10 , a step backwards and just garbage in general

Windows 95 - 5/10 ,better than 3.1

Linux - 5/10 ,has promise, but still not ready for the desktop, needs IE and MS Office

Mac OS - ? ,haven't used it in a long time, OS X looks pretty decent though

BE OS - 4/10 ,decent but not enough apps for it

Guinessman : Linux is nearly ready for the desktop! It does come with like 10 different web browsers, KOffice, StarOffice, and about 2500 other applications (If oyu bought the PowerPack). The reason why I gave Linux a 9 and not a perfect 10 was because the only flaws I have noticed were hardware support and the printing. Other than that, everything in it works better than the Windows counterparts! If those bugs were fixed, then I wouldn't be using windows 98 SE at all!

Originally posted by Webgraph

Guinessman : Linux is nearly ready for the desktop! It does come with like 10 different web browsers, KOffice, StarOffice, and about 2500 other applications (If oyu bought the PowerPack). The reason why I gave Linux a 9 and not a perfect 10 was because the only flaws I have noticed were hardware support and the printing. Other than that, everything in it works better than the Windows counterparts! If those bugs were fixed, then I wouldn't be using windows 98 SE at all!

IMO, the Linux GUI is weak.

Linux is ok, but the GUI is just not as fluid or pretty as on Windows or Mac, I installed Mandrake 8 a couple weeks ago on a PC so I can run 802.11b cracking software, but KDE still has way to go before it can match Windows/MacOS. However, I have tried out StarOffice 6 for Windows and it isn't too bad, pretty nice for a free office suite. If Linux had IE, I think it could go quite a bit farther, I just do not like Nescape/Opera, IE loads pages much faster, just a bit buggy in XP.

The GUI is not weak. It's just that it doesn't have that much functionality yet because of the damned Microsoft monopoly. And I wouldn't think adding IE for Linux will be a good idea.

Windows

- Windows 3.0 = 2/10

- Windows 3.1 = 3/10

- Windows 3.11 = 3/10

- WFWG 3.11 = 5/10

- Windows 95 = 6/10

- Windows 98 (and SE) = 6/10

- Windows ME = 5/10

- Windows 2000 = 8/10

- Windows XP = 8/10

Mac

- Huh?

Linux

- 2.4 (kernel) 8/10 (using RedHat 7.2 Pro)

DOS

- 5.0 = 9/10

- 6.0 = 3/10

- 6.11 = 8/10

- 6.22 = 8/10

Unix

- HP/UX 11 = 8/10

FreeBSD - NR

BeOS - NR

OS/2

- OS/2 1.3 = 2/10

- OS/2 2.1 (and .11) = 6/10

- OS/2 WARP 3.0 = 6/10

- OS/2 WARP 4.0 = 7/10

Windows

- Windows 3.0 = 1/10

- Windows 3.1 = 3/10

- Windows 3.11 = 3/10

- Windows 95 = 5/10

- Windows 98 (and SE) = 6/10

- Windows ME = 5/10

- Windows 2000 = 8/10

- Windows XP = 8/10

Mac

- OSX = 9.5/10

Linux

- mandrake 8.x = 7/10

BeOS - 7/10

M$ Windows:

- 3.x = 5/10

- 95 = 7/10

- 98/98SE = 7.5/10

- ME = 7/10 (eww)

- 2000 = 8/10

- XP = 8.1/10

MacOS:

- OS 8.0 and below = crap, i mean seriously how could you use it!!!

- OS X = 6.5/10

M$/PC/DR DOS

- 5.0 and below = 5/10 (average of all versions)

- 6.x = 8/10

- 7.0 and above = just gets worse...

Linus/Unix:

- 8/10 (depends on kernel / shell. lack of apps, drivers etc..)

FreeBSD: N/A :(

BeOS:

- 6/10 (i know it's good at something, just can't find out what :) )

OS/2: (havent used much)

- OS/2 = 5/10

- OS/2 WARP = 6/10

Do I have to like M$ since im MCP/SE ??? :)

WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! its my hundredth (100 th) post!!! do i win a prize?

Windows 3.x = 5 (It was good for its time)

Windows 95 = 6 (Good advance, but not stable at all)

Windows 98/98SE = 6.5 (Win95 with a bunch of updates)

Windows Me = 4 (Shouldn't have been released at all... just Win98 with a new DOS and new icons)

Windows 2000 = 9 (I just love its engine... gave birth to XP :))

Windows XP = 9.5 (I don't think anyone still deserves 10, but if someone did, XP would get it... just LOVE IT!)

DOS = 6 (Good ol' times... but you ARE RESPONSIBLE for the crashes in win9x!)

Linux = 8 (Really stable for servers, not so much for desktop if you use KDE, it really eats memory like popcorn... the interfaces are not as pretty as in windows, but they are something)

FreeBSD = 6.5 (If you know how to handle it, it's nice... since I don't know... :p)

Never used a mac, so can't rate it. Same goes for BeOS and OS2.

Windows XP: 4/10 alot better dan dat crap me!

Windows Me: 2/10 Wow what a peice of ****!!....a step backwards.....but what do u expect??......it's from microsoft!!

Windoes 98: 5/10 way better dan Me.....but since it's a microcrap product.....i cen only give it a 6!!

Windoes 2000: 4.5/10 meh.......one word.....compatability!

Windoes 3.1 5/10 rember the good old days??.....where ur pc crashing on ya was no big deal cuz dat's all ther was??

DOS: 6/10 It's NOT windows!!............

Linux!: 8/10 it's NOT from microsoft!!......so it HAS to be good!!!

Mac: 9/10 it's not from microsoft so it has to be good!!..........

BeOS: 8/10 never used it b4!!......but since it's NOT microsoft!!.........i'll take it!!

Windows:

XP = 7 [doesn't run old stuff (even with that crappy 'compatability mode'), doesn't look THAT pretty!]

2000 = 8 [feels MUCH better than 98 [and XP!!!] but with shadows, etc, lacking compatability]

98 = 8 [would be the winner if not for stability]

95 = 8 [revolutionary but totally unstable]

3.1 = ? - I can't remember it... I used it for years but all I remember is I prefered using DOS.

DOS = 8 [so much fun, yet so crude - not comparable to Windows]

Mac:

Looks pretty but I've never used it apart from click the single [OMG!] mouse button a bit in PCWorld [why they have MAC's I don't know].

Linux:

Mandrake 8.0 = 4 [looks crap... POOR hardware support, lack of anything to make it really even worth using over Windows... I don't believe in using rubbish [iMO] just because M$ is a 'monopoly'.]

I'll have to have a good look at a Mac but Linux is certainly NOT going to be on my shopping list within the next few years at least.

Yikes! I've forgot some ratings!

Windows 3.1 - 8/10

Why? Even though Windows 3.1 can't support as many applications and hardware, this was the speediest, most stable, and the most reliable Windows OS I have ever used! It never crashed my PC once and I could still use DOS at the same time if I needed to! Ah if only Windows 95 wasn't there, then I'd still enjoy this stability! Also, Windows 98 and ME still had the same bugs since Windows 95! :D

Mac OS - 7-8/10

Why? When I've experimented with it a few times before, I found it to be more user-friendly than Windows, but I couldn't partition the hard drive if I wanted to add FreeBSD or Windows XP. Also, the Mac doesn't have as many software titles as Windows. But the graphics and the design of the cases that Apple uses, oh they absolutely rock! :D

Windows 7.5 (2.5 taken off cuz of the constant errors i get)

Mac 6 cuz of IE 5/NS4 for mac is unstable and when an app freezes, the whole system goes down

Linux 7.5 cuz its stable for me, but doesnt support winmodems and too hard to install appz onto it

DOS 4 cuz programs load slow in it and graphics are bad (of course) and lots of times i use dos games on windows, it freezes my comp

all the others...never used them

Windows

- Windows 3.1

- 3/10

- Windows 95

- 4/10

- Windows 98 SE

- 6/10

- Windows ME

- 4/10

- Windows XP Professional

- 8/10

Mac

- Never Tried

- N/A

Linux

- Never Tried

- N/A

DOS

- Dos 6.22

- 2/10

Unix

- Never Tried

- N/A

FreeBSD

- Never Tried

- N/A

BeOS

- BeOS 5

- 6/10

OS/2

- Never Tried

- N/A

In everyone's rating, only two people rated FreeBSD :<.. FreeBSD rox it should have a 10/10. My freebsd system was up for 150 days and it only went down because of a power outage. Ok, mm, back to homework :

Windows

- Windows 3.1

- 2/10 - it was good for its time, i suppose hehe

- Windows 95

- 4/10 - LOADS better than 3.1 but its horrible to look at now!

- Windows 98 (SE)

- 6/10 (good, but crashes too much)

- Windows ME

- 3/10 (absolute joke, 98SE + a couple of new features + busload of crashes!)

- Windows XP Pro

- 8/10 (LOVE IT!!)

Mac

- Mac OS 7-9

- 3/10 (NO MULTITASKING, general feel is ****, in windows i can have loads of stuff open and switch between them nicely, in macos i have to goto a stupid crappy menu and select and GRREE POS IMO!!)

- Mac OS 10

- 5/10 (looks lovely with all that aqua stuff, has multitasking, build on unix so its reliable, DAMN SLOW even on apples latest machines, and i still dont like the general feel of it, windows is much betta..)

Linux

- 7/10 (i really like linux, everythings free, its really customisable, but i dont use it as my base os for the same reason as i dont have macs around, dont like that feeeel if ya know waht i mean :cool: but i have it on my wee server and its great :D)