Celebrating 100 years of The Kop

The KOP

As Anfield prepares to celebrate 100 years of the most famous stand in world football, liverpoolfc.tv presents a collection of unforgettable memories written by the people who made the Kop so special - the fans themselves.

Some are emotional, some are funny and one sounds terrifying - as any kid who ever got to stand on the Kop will testify. These are your stories…

The memory of the reception that Gordon Banks received when he walked around the ground with Shanks for the visit of Stoke (I think it was the first game of the 72-73 season) after he lost his eye and was forced to retire from football was an unbelievable and proud moment that I will never forget. I was only twelve at the time and I was my school (St.James' and Bootle Boys - just like Carra) goalkeeper. Banks, Bonetti and Clemence were my boyhood heroes. The emotion and passion that rang out as Shanks raised his arms and walked around the entire ground to salute Banks - not even a Liverpool player! It was totally inspirational and it brought home to me for the first time, the special warmth that the Kop has displayed many times since for special players over the years. If you are a great player or a good team - you are respected and we salute you.

Michael Donnelly

It was September 1978 when we beat Spurs 7-0. I was sitting on the wall at the top of the stairs under the Boys' pen. It was the great goal scored by Terry McDermott to make it 7-0. We scored and I jumped up, fell off the wall but landed on my dad and uncle who put me back up. It was the best and most scary moment of my life. I was only ten years old and the Kop was scary indeed.

Neil Jones

I was there for the European Cup semi final against Chelsea which was without doubt the best atmosphere I have ever experienced. My best memory though was in 1986. The championship had just been won (at Chelsea) and we were a few days away from playing Everton in the cup final. Norwich were the visitors in the final of a competition which was designed to replace the loss of European football. I think it was called the Screen Sport Cup or something. At the end of the game (which we won) the Kop refused to leave until Kenny came out to be applauded. We're not going till he's here was sung around the Kop by 20 odd thousand people until Kenny was forced to appear to take the applause. A great night to finish a great season and a fitting way for the Kop to show their appreciation to the greatest Liverpool player of them all.

Mike Maxson

Dalglish cuts the ball in to Souness 25yds, thump, GOOOAAAL!! The Kop erupts around me. A flailing arm catches me in the eye, ouch! There goes my contact lens - knocked clean out. Sod it! Keep celebrating in unison, thousands jumping up and down. I look down. There's the lens on the floor!! 'MAKE A SPACE!!' 50 people push back around me making a big hole in the centre of the Kop. The main stand are looking over, the Police are looking, where's the fight? No fight here officer, just picking up my clean intact contact lens.

Ken Cattrell

It was the 1989/90 season. We used to travel on the bus from over the water. 30p return and ?4.50 to get into the Kop end. My memories of the Kop at that time - a standing tier system, no barriers, no fences, simply a sea of bodies, as one, chanting, the smell of pie and chips and the occasional spliff in the air. It became interesting when there was a corner at the Kop end - we couldn't see to the corner of the pitch from our vantage point, evidently neither could a few thousand others… suddenly there would be an almighty surge towards the corner as people leaned towards it to get a view of the ball being crossed in. Being a lanky youngster of 16, I often found myself being literally lifted from my feet and carried with the ripple of bodies. Sometimes I would find myself 20 feet from where I had been standing with my mate and would have to wait for a corner at the other side of the pitch before being reunited with him again.

Some great moments, interesting characters, fantastic songs and the occasional sore back in the morning. Class.Baz>

My favourite was the Auxerre game in the 1991/2 season. The team was in the doldrums, we'd lost the first leg 2-0, and the ground (apart from the Kop) was half empty. What followed was one of those nights that you could never forget. Glorious comeback and the Kop roof being almost lifted off by the roars of the crowd. I went with a mate who'd never stood on the Kop before. He came out with tears in his eyes and said he couldn't believe the noise, passion and support from our fans… and he's a Chelsea fan.David Richardson>

2-0 down to Auxure, no one gave us a chance in the second leg. Only 23,000 in the half-full ground, but 17,000 on the KOP - what a noise! I've never heard the KOP that loud before. It was frightening! That French lot didn't know what had hit them! Marsh, Molby and Walters more than deserve a mention but the KOP won that game for Liverpool and were the real heroes on that famous night!! I left Anfield that night with a stinking headache and a smile as big as the KOP.Andy Stewart>

It was back in March 1993 when I had just turned 14. Me, my two brothers who were 16 and 19 and my dad had tickets for the Kop to see the Reds take on Man United. We got to the ground early at about 1pm to get ourselves a good spot. My dad and I stood down at the right hand side near the bottom against a barrier. My brothers took up their place right in the middle. At 3pm the Kop was fit to burst with all the Reds supporters. As far as I can remember, United made us change ends so that we were attacking the Kop in the first half. This did not go down well.

In the first minute, Liverpool attacked the goal and everyone surged forward. I was pushed against the barrier and was in a lot of pain. I panicked and needed to get out - however getting past thousands of supporters could not have been done. United scored the first goal which sent the crowd mental. Again the crowd surged forward, pushing me into the barrier. I found it hard to breathe. As much as I hate to lose to United, I started to pray to God that there would be no more goals as I couldn't take being in the Kop anymore. I think Liverpool scored next which normally I'd be over-the-moon about but not that day. The crowd went wild, surging forward with greater force. I was lifted off the ground and rammed up against the barrier. I couldn't breathe and I signalled to my dad to help me. He furiously tried to get people to move back and help me out. Bare in mind I was 14 at the time. I started praying, "Please God, don't make me die here". I hoped there would be no more goals but United scored and the same thing happened. I was so frightened that I couldn't wait for the game to be over.Voni>

Myself and 3 friends only ever stood on the Kop once and that was for the opening game of the season in 1993 when Nigel Clough scored twice on his debut against Sheffield Wednesday. Nothing special about the match, but we were just pleased that we'd had the unique experience before the seats came in. The attendance that day was particularly poignant - 44,004, and as it was our first (and last) time standing at Anfield - we considered ourselves to be the '4'!Adam Hollowood>

LFC v Man United in January 1994. I think you'll remember the game! I will never forget the pure passion that flowed from the Kop on the night that Manchester United came to town for the famous 3-3 draw in January 1994. The noise as the teams took to the pitch was as loud as I’ve heard at Anfield. Robbie Fowler had an early chance and I swear the roof would have come off had he scored. A friend of mine stood with me on the Kop for the first time that night and it was also his first visit to Anfield. He still talks about it to this day. What an introduction.Neil Jenkins>

I was was fortunate enough to be on the Kop during two historic “last standing” occasions before it became all seated. The last Merseyside derby. Superb occasion with Everton fans singing 'sitting down, sitting down, sitting down'. The Liverpool faithful replied, 'GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN, GOING DOWN' Another memorable and hugely emotional day was the last ever game on the old Kop. The game was against Norwich. Superb day and there must have been about forty thousand fans in the Kop alone. That was a day when you didn't need a ticket to see your beloved Liverpool, it was all about getting as many fans in to the famous Spion Kop as possible. The emotion of grandfathers, fathers and sons that were standing at their regular spot for the very last time was something else.Jason Andrews>

My memory was on the old standing Kop. The date is 30th April 94. It is 1pm and the Kop was jam packed. I had queued since 11.45am to make sure that I got a spec right in the middle as this was a special day. I can remember the noise, the colour. The game hadn't even kicked off and I was sweating like I'd done 10 rounds with Ali. The sweat from peoples bodies was rising and creating a steam-like affect. By 2pm it was bedlam, a frantic and boisterous crowd continued to swell. By 2.30 past players, managers and a certain Nessie Shankly came out on the pitch. I remember the roar when Dalglish came out. Gerry Marsden sang YNWA to us but we drowned him out. I stood on the crush barrier and looked to the front, then the back of the Kop in awe. It was so emotional knowing it was the last chance I would get to do so. I can remember that picture so vividly. A wall of noise and colour, something you can't really explain unless you were there. The match was insignificant. We got beat 1-0 but it didn't matter - it was the Kop's last stand. By half-time I had passed out and had the pleasure of being passed over everybody's head down to the front. We stayed in the Kop for about an hour after the match and we all sang, 'We all live in a red and white Kop' and bounced up and down. The end of an era.Paul George>

My personal favourite Kop memory is the year the original Kop was torn down. It was the one and only time I stood on the Kop. We had to pay ?35 each for ?7 tickets from a tout due to a ticket mix up. It was a UEFA cup game against Spartak Moscow. We lost the game but it didn't matter as the atmosphere on the Kop that day was the best I have experienced in my life, all swaying and singing. The funniest and best song I have ever heard, sang to our Russian brothers – 'What's it like to queue for bread'. You can't beat Scouse humouDave Lennett/b>

Random Game in about 1994 for the last season on the Kop. I used to stand on the KOP with my brother, dad and uncles. One game a gang of about five lads from Yorkshire were standing next to us and had obviously had a few pints before the game. They looked a bit sloshed and were talking rubbish and being a bit aggressive. One of the blokes started to lean on my brothers back for support and was becoming an increasing annoyance but it was the foul racist abuse that he was shouting that really sickened those around us. My dad is not one to tolerate that kind of stuff and during a lull, tapped the guy who was leaning on my brother on the shoulder and said; "We on the KOP don't tolerate language of that kind, I don't know where your from, but you can shut up or get out!" Well, I nearly fell off the bar! I was only 16 and thought he was going to get a proper pasting! But before the neanderthals could retaliate, about 15 fellow Kopites turned round and showed their support. It was pure class to see those muppets shutting up and then leaving at half time! It made me realise the how important it is to speak up and not to be intimidated, self policing is very important among football fans, It develops the bond between us and creates an unwritten code of what is and isn't acceptable. I've seen things like this many times since on European travels - new comers being told what they are doing isn't going to be tolerated because it drags the name of LFC and the city through the mud. It's what separates us from other groups of fans and ensures there isn't trouble when we go abroad.&quoGraeme/b>

My favourite Kop memory was when we played Stoke City in the 3rd round of the then Coca-Cola Cup. We went on to win the game 2-1 with a certain Ian Rush scoring both goals I think.

But what was special about that game happened prior to kick off. Prior to the game Brian Clough, in his infinite wisdom, declared that Liverpool fans were to blame for the Hillsborough Disaster. What was more poignant about that statement was that Brian’s son Nigel was a Liverpool player at the time. Nigel and the press were concerned that Liverpool fans would turn on him in protest at his father's comment. Prior to kick off at the Stoke game, the Liverpool side came out to warm up at the Kop end as usual, Nigel Clough joined them. The whole of the Kop rose to there feet and chanted, 'He’s red, he’s white, he’s ****** dynamite, Nigel Clough, Nigel Clough.' And in that moment I realised what made the Kop and Liverpool Football Club different to all of the resJoe Hickey (Aged 12 at the time)/b>

My 1st ever time in the Kop was when Steve McManaman played his last game against Wimbledon. I was sat in the second row just behind the right goal post. As Everyone was singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone', I turned to have a look at the crowd in the Kop and my heart started pounding and the goose bumps were instant. WOW! What a noise, what a feeling. It has to be one of the best feelings I have ever experienceJason McGlone/b>

I’ve enjoyed many a game on the Kop in ten years as a Match-Going Red. My one abiding memory though, is from a night sat in the Upper Anfield Road; our Champions League Tie against Roma and the night of GH’s return to the dugout. Heskey’s header, the Kop erupted. A wall of noise hit us at the other end of the ground. The chorus of ‘Allez Allez’ rang out; there were so many scarves being swung around heads I thought the entire Kop end was going skywards. Incredible! I love being a Kopite… and occasional Anny Road EnderAndy Senyszyn/b>

I witnessed a rare moment on the Kop which will never be seen again probably in any stadium, Bruno Cheyrou scoring 2 goals (to win us the game against Newcastle in the FA cup). I know this won't be printed but it was a pretty special momenIan Robers/b>

My favorite Kop memory was when I bought tickets for my dad, brother and myself to the Olympiakos CL group stage in the 04/05 season. Liverpool had to win 3-1 in order to get though to the knockout stage after the visitors had grabbed the first goal. It was in the dying minutes of the game and Gerrard smashed in a thunder bolt. The Kop erupted and Gerrard ran to the corner where we were standing. I get cold shivers every time I hear Andy Gray commentating that vital goal… OH YOU BEAUTY!!Michael Dennan/b>

Inter Milan and St Etienne. Until 04/05 I couldn't imagine what those memorable nights must have been like. Stories from my dad left me in awe, but actually experiencing one goes a LARGE step further! Olympiacos, Juventus and Chelsea, I was one of the 12,000 for each of those matches and the atmosphere was that intense, toilet runs just didn't happen, regardless of how much you had drunk. The Kop was going to be your home for the next 90+ minutes. What sticks out for me though, was that at the end of the final whistle each time, I was probably around 10 rows down from my original seaIan Black/b>

In 2005 when Anderlecht visited Anfield, we were around 80 supporters from the Faroe Island that traveled down to Liverpool, many to watch our club for the first time. The trip was organized by the Liverpool Supporter Club Faroese Branch and they chartered a plane to fly directly from the Faroes to John Lennon airport. We ended up standing on the Kop for the whole match, singing along with the Kop and it was for all of us a heart warming experience that no one of us will ever forgePetur Olsen/b>

I think it was the Real Betis match when some dignitaries from UEFA came to Anfield to present some 'Legends of Europe' awards. Kenny Dalglish came out onto the pitch to collect his award and the whole Kop started chanting 'Dalglish' – it sent a massive shiver down my spine and took me back in time to what it must have been like when the King ruled the turf of Anfield RoaReggie /b>

As Liverpool fans prepare to celebrate 100 years of The Kop this afternoon, manager Rafael Benitez has paid tribute to the most famous supporters in world football.

The Kopites will unveil a special mosaic just before kick-off against West Ham to mark the centenary celebration of an enclosure which holds no equal in the game.

Benitez may have only been on Merseyside for two years, but already he's more than aware how special the fans who cheer the team on relentlessly from the Kop are to the club.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "They are unbelievable and it's a great feeling to know they are always behind us. I have said before they are our twelfth man and that is definitely the case.

"I remember when I first heard them singing my name and it gave me a very special feeling. The players know the fans will always be with them and that is fantastic for the confidence.

"Many of them also travel away of course and even last week we saw and heard our fans in Kiev. It can be difficult to go to different countries but our fans always come with us wherever we are playing.

"I hope they can all help us pick up three important points against West Ham this afternoon."

kop_24aug_1.jpg

kop_24aug_2.jpg

kop_24aug_3.jpg

kop_24aug_4.jpg

kop_24aug_5.jpg

kop_24aug_6.jpg

kop_24aug_7.jpg

kop_24aug_8.jpg

kop_24aug_9.jpg

kop_24aug_10.jpg

Edited by Martyn

Cool, didn't know about this. My dad used to stand behind the goal when he was at the University of Liverpool in the late 60's early 70's, I get jealous every time I think about it lol.

A bit off topic but...

*points to avatar* COME ON YOU IRONS!!!! :D

*Cough's*

2-1 :p

Anyone else think Kuyt played very well when he came on for Liverpool? He lad showed good positioning, good passing and he has an incredible workrate. He score's lot's of goal's but he offer's a lot more than that.

*Cough's*

2-1 :p

Anyone else think Kuyt played very well when he came on for Liverpool? He lad showed good positioning, good passing and he has an incredible workrate. He score's lot's of goal's but he offer's a lot more than that.

Wonder goal by Agger! :D :laugh: :bounce:

this response is a bit late but a good thread martyn....kuyt had a great debut and it will be something else watching him score against the bitters next saturday!!

YNWA

this response is a bit late but a good thread martyn....kuyt had a great debut and it will be something else watching him score against the bitters next saturday!!

YNWA

Cheers.

Kuyt for a hattrick I think :p. I rekon Rafa should start Fowler and Kuyt up front, Fowler will be pumped up for the derby and as a true scouser and Liverpool fan he would give all he could to the cause. Besides, he always scores against Everscum! I read an article today about how Kuyt thrives on big games (and he scored six goals in six games against PSV), he said he loves it when the opposition crowd boo him as it just fires him up more to do well!

Cheers.

Kuyt for a hattrick I think :p. I rekon Rafa should start Fowler and Kuyt up front, Fowler will be pumped up for the derby and as a true scouser and Liverpool fan he would give all he could to the cause. Besides, he always scores against Everscum! I read an article today about how Kuyt thrives on big games (and he scored six goals in six games against PSV), he said he loves it when the opposition crowd boo him as it just fires him up more to do well!

I cant help but agree....Fowler loves playing against everton, add to that the fact that he hasnt had an international game in midweek and I think he will be raring to go. Kuyt still has a point to prove so he will be out to score a few.....is momo back?? Love to see him get stuck into the bitters midfield!!

Seems apt in this thread to mention that there is good news to see the new stadium moving forwards....i think we should keep old anfield and use it as a trophy stadium....rather than the small room that certain other clubs have!!

I cant help but agree....Fowler loves playing against everton, add to that the fact that he hasnt had an international game in midweek and I think he will be raring to go. Kuyt still has a point to prove so he will be out to score a few.....is momo back?? Love to see him get stuck into the bitters midfield!!

Seems apt in this thread to mention that there is good news to see the new stadium moving forwards....i think we should keep old anfield and use it as a trophy stadium....rather than the small room that certain other clubs have!!

I know pending injury Fowler will play, but whether that will be off the bench or not I don't know. As long as Kuyt plays I will be fairly happy anyway. Momo is back anyway, and I think he should start the game as he is a vital player to us.

I think we should go with a formation like this for the derby:

-------------------Reina-------------------

Finnan----Hyypia-----Agger-----Aurelio

-----------Gerrard----Sissoko-----------

Pennant------------------------Gonzalez

--------------Kuyt----Fowler-------------

With pace on the wing's and the midfield presense of Sissoko and Gerrard, we can really lay it into Everton.

It is good news for the stadium but there is still a few year's to go before that becomes a reality. Unfotunately, Anfield cannot be turned into a trophy room as it has to be knocked down as part of the regeneration plans for the city, which is part of how we will secure funding for the stadium.

It is good news for the stadium but there is still a few year's to go before that becomes a reality. Unfotunately, Anfield cannot be turned into a trophy room as it has to be knocked down as part of the regeneration plans for the city, which is part of how we will secure funding for the stadium.

It was kinda tongue in cheek martyn!! :rolleyes:

Todays announcement that the go ahead has finally been given is good but we need to find the funding before the end of this month, know anyone with ?250m to spare?

I like your formation, it was the team i have been looking forwards to seeing since all the new signings although i would be tempted to leave pennant out, put gerrard on the right and put alonso in with momo....i think in a big game like tomorrows you need all of the "big 3" on the pitch.

It was kinda tongue in cheek martyn!! :rolleyes:

Todays announcement that the go ahead has finally been given is good but we need to find the funding before the end of this month, know anyone with ?250m to spare?

I like your formation, it was the team i have been looking forwards to seeing since all the new signings although i would be tempted to leave pennant out, put gerrard on the right and put alonso in with momo....i think in a big game like tomorrows you need all of the "big 3" on the pitch.

I know I know:pp!

I saw that article on Sky here, but I have no idea were we will be getting ?250 million from. The stadium plan has been around for four year's or so now, so I suppose the club would of thought by now how to raise the money. At least progress is being made though, as it seemed as if the whole idea was stalling not long ago.

I don't think that Alonso has been playing that well this season, but saying that he normally start's off slow. I am not saying he is a bad player, but I just don't think he deserves to start in the derby. He looks very unfit and tired. He was terrible in the Spain match during the week as well. Pennant has been playing quite well and his pace can exploit Everton's full back's. He would make a good sub anyway.

If we go with the team I suggested above then we can have a lot of good player's on the bench:

Crouch/Bellamy

Riise,

Agger,

Alonso,

Dudek,

But then again I am not Rafa, and everyone struggles to guess the team he will put out!

i know agger is good but you have him on the bench and on the pitch....is he that good??

According to .tv, riise and carragher are back to fitness and may play so the picture looks even better! Are you going??

i know agger is good but you have him on the bench and on the pitch....is he that good??

According to .tv, riise and carragher are back to fitness and may play so the picture looks even better! Are you going??

He probably is that good :p.

Like you said, Carra is back to fitness, which is why I relegated Agger to the bench. Nah I am not going, like hell I would ever set foot in Goodison Park *shudders*.