Goalie given police warning for crossing himself

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5289202.stm

The tribal nature of Old Firm clashes is underlined by Rangers fans flying Union flags and Celtic followers waving the Irish tricolour.

The mutual animosity was outlined four years ago when some Celtic fans began flying Palestinian flags and some Rangers supporters responded by fluttering Israeli flags.

Another case of religion causing problems?

How many athletes from how many sports cross(genuflect) themselves before the event they are participating in?

I bet the majority of people at this match had never (of their own acdord) set foot in a church, but were only too willing to complain when the opposing player did something they disagreed with.

I don't think it was solely the action of crossing himself that caused it but more his general behaviour throughout the match. I heard someone that attends the matches phoning in on a talk show saying that players often genuflect themselves at Celtic v Rangers games and it isn't a problem. Obviously religion plays a big part in these games, that goes without saying, but this one incident was the result of more than just one action by Artur Boruc.

OK, so I just read the new article that states it was for his behaviour during the match.

But what did he do to really upset these people? He probably flicked them the V's or something.

It really ****es me off when fan complain about the actions of a footballer who flicks the V's or gives them the bird, because this action is probably in reaction to all the abuse they get from the crowd. The crowd is OK giving out the abuse, but when someone makes a gesture, they go running to the police and complain.

Another example of religion getting out of hand. I don't see how people can claim that it promotes peace - it never has and likely never will. The problem isn't the religion itself but more the way different religions always seem to clash, especially those that have mutual beliefs (Catholic/Protestant, Sunni/Shi'ite). Still, I expect nothing more from Scotland - it is a disgrace to the rest of the UK, only being out-done by Northen Ireland.

It really ****es me off when fan complain about the actions of a footballer who flicks the V's or gives them the bird, because this action is probably in reaction to all the abuse they get from the crowd. The crowd is OK giving out the abuse, but when someone makes a gesture, they go running to the police and complain.

I disagree, footballer's are professional's so should not react to the crowd, and the fan's to do not get paid ?30,000 each per week to be a professional;)).

And england hasn't had any religion related violence?

I didn't say otherwise. The UK as a whole is in a pretty pathetic state; it's just that Scotland and Northern Ireland really drag it down. Wales would have to be the nicest part of the UK at the moment, socially at least, but it's not without its problems.

It's pathetic, maybe this is why Scotland cannot turn out a 1st rate fitba tim.

Everything seems fine in life till religion comes along and rears it's ugly head.

One of my favourite crickters, Inzamam-ul-Haq, a Muslim convert, when he scores a 100

he gets on his knees and looks east (Mecca) and kisses the floor.

So will he be spoken to by the religion Police?

It's a joke, soon as a planet is formed which is religion free I am buying a one-way-ticket.

It's a joke, soon as a planet is formed which is religion free I am buying a one-way-ticket.

And i'll be right behind you in the ticket line.