Icons

Well, If I was to make a set of KDE Icons, that would take alot of time to finish off and I'm simply running out of time. If I do get the time I might have a shot at it.

Oh I and just sent the Icons to you Barney.

MXV

Btw. Is there a list of what KDE Icons need doing? would be pretty handy having.

Well, If I was to make a set of KDE Icons, that would take alot of time to finish off and I'm simply running out of time. If I do get the time I might have a shot at it.

Oh I and just sent the Icons to you Barney.

MXV

Btw. Is there a list of what KDE Icons need doing? would be pretty handy having.

We would just like a custom set... of your choosing. And I got the icons... they're beautiful! :yes:

The same ones as gnome more or less. All the applications, devices, etc.

Cool icons, thanks for gziping them...now this is an ubern00b question, how do you edit individual icons...such as the Computer, home and such in Gnome? I'm used to dragging and dropping the tar into the themes box...but VERY nice work and thanks a lot!

Cool icons, thanks for gziping them...now this is an ubern00b question, how do you edit individual icons...such as the Computer, home and such in Gnome? I'm used to dragging and dropping the tar into the themes box...but VERY nice work and thanks a lot!

Thanks, what exactly are you trying to edit? the filenames or the Icons themselfs?

This is what I found:

Just a quick update on this HOWTO. Gnome 2.18 hit Lenny last night, and sure enough, my previously customized Debian icon was blown away. No problem, I thought, I will just redo it. I had always used the old method (copy my icon over /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-logo-transparent-icon.png), but that no longer worked. No problem, I thought, I remember that Rickh wrote a HOWTO with another method to do this, and I will go use his method. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me at all either. (In a nutshell, in case anyone else has trouble: "Use custom icon" only works for menu-object or drawer-object items, and my menu has a menu-bar item there. Maybe it does matter if you use the menu-applet, but I haven't tested that.)

After a little time with Google and the help of this thread from the Gnome support site, I now know why Rick and I weren't able to use the old copy method: the icon is no longer sourced from /usr/share/pixmaps etc. In 2.18, the icon is sourced from /usr/share/icons/themename/scalable/places/gnome-main-menu.svg, where themename is just whatever icon theme you use - e.g. gnome, Tango, Wasp. That in turn is a symbolic link to /usr/share/icons/themename/size/places/start-here.png where themename and size are variables for your icon theme and the pixel size of the menubar.

I shrank my preferred icon (same as my avatar here) to 22x22 and copied that over /usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/places/start-here.png, and that worked like a charm.

Not exactly the answer to all the questions here, but it is a start

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=14877

Okay, I know stuff was supposed to be done by the 15th but I've been dealing with computer troubles and lots of stress at home and just bunches of things so I haven't really had the time to do what I want. Anyways, got time now and here is a teaser:

IconConcept2.png

More images to come later.

With tag:

IconConcept3.png

Edited by MrEggsalad

Your teaser, it...it makes me want more! :D Well, if anything, I love the DVD/CD icon!

Oh, and the contest begins (submissions are due) on the 20th...but don't let time pressure you...I think the cut off will be around the 27th to get into RC1, and if your set is as good as your teaser, it would get my vote!

Thanks guys! Looks like I won't be able to continue to work on these until tomorrow (more home and computer [mom's not mine]) stuff got in the way but okay I'm hoping these will be done on the 20th. And trust me, I'll be spending lots of time on each icon. See I want to kinda shed the whole "Linux/Open Source" look and make it look, well, damn good. I want people to look at our stuff and say "Wow, does that look nice!". So I'll post updates here when I roll out new icons. All icons are 256x256 so we can do whatever we want with 'em =D

Damn...take your time...will you be making this into an installable icon theme via Gnome? Just asking...not saying you have to or anything. (I personally like the shedding of the open source community = crap...haha that's why we're making Shift, right?)

I've been digging around Gnome stuff, still haven't found a nice icon directory, but I've downloaded a Gnome Tango icon theme to see how things are supposed to be layed out.

Now I could go on with doing that, but the question is, what icon theme do we use as a basis, because I don't think MaX wants to do every single icon (gaim icon?)...so we would use new icons, but for the ones MaX didn't make, what would we use? My personal suggestion is to use the Unofficial Tango icons (link), and then switch up the icons made by members.

Damn...take your time...will you be making this into an installable icon theme via Gnome? Just asking...not saying you have to or anything. (I personally like the shedding of the open source community = crap...haha that's why we're making Shift, right?)

I don't have much experience with icon sets and stuff, but I could probably find a tutorial out there and do it, yeah.

Hey guys.... I merged the 3 different icon threads because it was too hard trying to go through all of them and figuring out where we stood. I personally think we should develop our own set of Shift Linux icons to use. I also think that it would be great to add the icons that we make here to the contest, so that members can vote on them too.

Yeah, I would do all the icons needed but I wouldn't have the time, though I wouldn't mind doing a few icons hear and there.

btw, Nice icon MrEggSalad!

The big art contest will include an icon vote, so everyone should at least upload a concept of their icons to the Shift Art Site, if they can get the set finished by November.

And yeah, I'll finish Shift Up if it does well in the contest.