Dream Team or Greek Dream ?

dream_team.jpg

Source : CNN

SAITAMA, Japan (Reuters) -- European champions Greece shocked odds-on favorites the United States 101-95 to reach the final of the world basketball championship on Friday.

Guard Vassilis Spanoulis led a surging Greek team with 22 points to leave the U.S. shell-shocked and extend the Americans' agonizing six-year world and Olympic title drought.

The final buzzer sparked scenes of pandemonium at Saitama Super Arena as the Greeks celebrated as if they had won the gold medal.

Olympic champions Argentina were playing Spain in Friday's second semifinal.

The U.S. suffered an astonishing second-quarter meltdown, blowing a 12-point lead with 6:15 left in the first half after a strong start.

Greece outscored the U.S. 24-9 from that point to take a 45-41 halftime lead and some explosive long-range shooting made it 77-65 through three quarters.

Co-captains Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade led a U.S. rally but an off-balance three from Spanoulis with 1:58 put Greece back up by seven and effectively iced the game.

Anthony scored a game-high 27 points and Wade added 19 but it was too little, too late to save the U.S. team's collection of big-name NBA stars.

:blink: :D :D :D :D :D

Thats When The Miracles Happens :rolleyes:

This Team isnt dream team but i am sure its Greek Team :D

I dont know why but i think they have touched the dream :)

I think USA just din't play well. Greek played extremely well and found the weaknesses of the USA team (which were very limited) and countered it and won.

I thought the USA team looked much better but they just din't perform.

Dear goodness, why is everyone acting all Henny Penny, the sky-is-falling about this? It's not like this is the Olympics yet. Yes, it's a major tournament. But it's ONE loss for a team that hasn't been playing together very long. It's better the loss came now than 2 years from now. This isn't a luxury that the Athens team had. You can't win every single game. I'll take this loss over a Beijing loss any day.

The thing also is, the USA team played like crap. If they would have even played decently, they would have won. If they would have played well, it would be a blowout.

The team is great I have to say, they probably had a really bad day against the greeks. But yes the team was setup great by Coach K. Probably one of the best coaches alive. Too bad they lost, oh well.. I guess the U.S. isn't meant to be the champions..

• 3 weeks later...