Outlook 2003, Unable to resolve name

Hey guys! Post #1. ;) Let's make a great first one!

Well I've been having issues at a customer's site lately when it comes to Outlook 2003. This problem has occured before, however it disappeared. Now it's back and for one specific user only. They're on a Windows Domain, all servers running Server 2003. They have an exchange server, and are using Active Directory. This user was having problems with outlook, so I decided to try and recreate their profile. However, when I tried readding their account, I have been having name resolution errors.

There is a variety of errors, about 3 of them, however here is the main one:

"The action could not be completed. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." "The name could not be resolved".

Now, this person's computer does have the ability to ping the server either by name, or by IP Address. When pinging by name, it is definitely coming up with the right IP Address. When I'm trying to create the profile and want to check the name, I've tried typing exchange, exchange.dtpd1.com, or 10.0.1.2. For their name, I either type 5306 (Their login / badge number) or their alternate email name which I believe should also resolve. But I continue to get these error messages as soon as I click the "Check Name" button. I have been searching through various Microsoft KB's and haven't found anything. I also updated Office to be SP2, as it wasn't before hand, and that didn't fix it.

Any ideas guys?

I do believe it looks in AD for this and also a srv record in DNS. Anyone, correct me if i'm wrong please. Are any of your other users having problems adding the server or evne yourself i you delete your profile and recreate it?

edit: I reread your post, so you able to add the server in, just not the mailbox? Correct? If you go out to active directory users and computers, you want to add the display name of this user. Also make sure the user does have email addresses attached to it under the email address tab. If it doesn't, you have issues. Report back what you find out. Mailbox didn't get disconnected or deleted did it? Also make sure the email address is not hidden from address list. I know i am unable to add mailboxes in if they are not listed in the address book.

I do believe it looks in AD for this and also a srv record in DNS. Anyone, correct me if i'm wrong please. Are any of your other users having problems adding the server or evne yourself i you delete your profile and recreate it?

edit: I reread your post, so you able to add the server in, just not the mailbox? Correct? If you go out to active directory users and computers, you want to add the display name of this user. Also make sure the user does have email addresses attached to it under the email address tab. If it doesn't, you have issues. Report back what you find out. Mailbox didn't get disconnected or deleted did it? Also make sure the email address is not hidden from address list. I know i am unable to add mailboxes in if they are not listed in the address book.

1) Mailbox is not hidden from Address Book, nor is it disconnected or deleted.

2) They do have a display name, however typing that in still comes up with the resolve name error.

3) They do have the proper email addresses under the email address tab. They're setup the same way as other users are setup, no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not really able to follow what you are asking. To try and make sense of it, I went into my Outlook -> My Email Account Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Open another user's mailbox -> I typed in her badge number, and it resolved it to her name... that definitely worked.

But if you had meant something else, then I really don't know? :/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry

If you go to the server where exchange is installed, run the management console for exchange. Then browse out to your administrative group and drill down to your private store. Then click on mailboxes, find the one your trying to connect too. Does it have an X through it?

Negative K22, this is a Windows XP Sp2 client. And no, the mailbox store does not have an X Through it. The user "was" able to successfully access her email account via using the webmail, however that is no longer functioning either. It just times out for this user, doesn't even access the webmail, however I can successfully login no problem.

Negative K22, this is a Windows XP Sp2 client. And no, the mailbox store does not have an X Through it. The user "was" able to successfully access her email account via using the webmail, however that is no longer functioning either. It just times out for this user, doesn't even access the webmail, however I can successfully login no problem.

What errors are you seeing on the exchange server related to this users name? Look specifically at the AD events, Application Events, and Security. Possibly the System events will have something there to but I doubt that at this point. OWA should throw errors to the App. events and if this is a user security issue when she is logged on to OWA it should show in the Security events. If it is related to her user account we should see somthing on the Exchange server AD events or in a DC's AD events log.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do a query in AD users and computers, select exchange recipients, type in user name, are you finding a mailbox that way?

My suggestion is to delete the user but do not delete the mailbox. If its greyed out, select to delete it but be sure you have the option not to delete mailboxes until store is backed up. Once done, recreate the user and reattach the user to the mailbox.

Have you compared permissions on this mailbox, do they compare to say someone elses that is working?

Is this an issue JUST on this PC or also can be recreated on a PC that attaches to exchange fine? Just trying to make sure its not some sort of trust relationship with exchange and the domain controllers.