Andre Agassi Retired

Andre Agassi lost today's 3rd round match against Benjamin Becker. Which means his retirement is final, he had a great career and a very memorable one. Andre got a great farewell from all the fans that packed the Arthur Ashe stadium to give Andre a great farewell. It was one of the most amazing things I have seen from sports. 21 years of tennis and it's really hard to leave, but he had to do it. He had a great career and a great life ahead of him. It was a very emotional time for him and everyone seeing him leave the stadium. He leaves so many memories and we will never forget him. Andre I love you man!!

1-27-storyimage3.jpgsp5.jpgo_agtoss_i.jpg_41180275_andre_ap_270.jpg

capt.xnyf14309031855.us_open_tennis_xnyf143.jpgcapt.xnyf14409031858.us_open_tennis_xnyf144.jpg

Farewell andre and you left us some great memories!!

Edited by pNoy.r3D28

No comments on this?? come on guys, Andre is a legend. Like him or hate him he did so much for the sport and went out with major class! Love ya Andre! Truly one of the best!

I don't think I'll be watching much tennis now that Andre Agassi is gone. He was THE reason I would wake up early or stay up real late to watch tennis. I remember his EOS Rebel commercials and his lime-green Nike tennis shoes back when he and Bo Jackson had similar shoe styles, and to see him come from that to where he is today is remarkable. There's a great article on ESPN.com right now about his transition from a cocky 18-year old phenom to a 36-year old legend. I'll always remember Andre for the latter.

Today, he looked like a boxer who refused to say goodbye to the sport. He was laboring, in pain, and it was difficult to watch. To see him finish the match though was incredible. Another great sports icon I grew up watching is now gone...he will be missed.

It must be so hard to leave something that you've spent your entire life working for day after day and knowing that you can't come back and be any kind of competition to those at the top of the sport. I think I'd feel really jealous of the up and coming players. At the same time I guess it's where people turn to putting something back into the sport like setting up academies etc. What an awesome career he has had though, good stuff.

Saw the final serve while in a Rogers store today looking at phones. Tennis on a plasma in HD rocks btw.

Sad to see a player of his stature retire. One of the great tennis players (Y)

Yeah andre is the one of the best tennis players ever that came to the sport. He is legendary and it was very hard for him to leave.

@ ZiGGA: Yeah, he did I believe and yes he did kick some arse, haha. But I don't htink he's ever coming back again, his back pain is too much for him.

But yes we will all miss him dearly :cry:

@ranasrule: Hahaha! No it doesn't.. There are still some great tennis players left.. Not as great and legendary as Andre Agassi.

The new generation has come, we still got Andy Roddick, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Marcos Baghdatis, and more, lol..

Federer is the only guy worth watching but his competition is nothing close to what Agassi has faced over his career (even guys like Michael Chang and Jim Courier could beat him on a given day). And Andy Roddick is a product of the USA tennis association, media, and fans to find the "next great American tennis player" but the guy hasn't done jack.

What made guys like Agassi, McEnroe, Connors, Becker, etc. great was their personalities and watching them mature (except for McEnroe, hahaha) through the years. Roddick will still be the same guy in 10 years.

men's tennis now officially sucks

You pretty much said it. Now both Sampras AND Agassi are gone. Tennis will never be the same :(

Thanks for the memories Andre. I'll always remember your matches against Sampras. :( :cry:

pretty emotional day yesterday :(

agassi was my idol growing up....he's the reason i play tennis. i even dressed up as him for halloween once.

i just wanna say thanks andre.

I personally believe that Andre should have retired one year back when he made an amazing run, beating James Blake in that epic 5 set match that went over onto the next day and past 1:00AM, Robby Ginepri and took Federer to 4 sets in the finals. I think the way he lost last year to Federer would have been a much better "last match" than his match with Becker. If he had retired with his last match being with Federer, it would have been an "Old Generation #1 legend loses to current #1 up-and-coming legend". With his loss this year in the third round, it was just... rather plain. I honestly expected Andre to say more but the 8 minute standing ovation clearly told stories on it's own.

I wish Andre the best of luck in the years to come after his recent retirement. He's also been my idol and i've cheered for Andre ever since I was like 5 years old although I really didn't know the mechanics of tennis back then lols. He has been the only player that I have never cheered against. I have rooted against my three other current favourite players, Nadal, Federer, Roddick at one point or another (ex. Nadal Vs. Agassi in Montreal 05 & Wimbledon 06, was hoping Nadals shots would go out lols).

He went from an "image is everything" brat to a true ambassador of the great sport we call Tennis.

I didn't like him when he was young (long hair, snob, etc)

He's been my favorite since don't know when.. always love his style of playing, calm, etc :( Too bad he's gone

he will be missed for sure. towards the end of his career, he became quite charismatic and i think he used that well to bring popularity to tennis and entertain the crowd.

i got a little teary eyed listening to his post-game interview on court :cry:

yay tennis! i wish it was more popular in canada :(

Welll well well.. A grear player has retired. I have been watching him for 5 years and he is a awsome player. I saw his match against Pete Sampras. What a match!

Goodbye to you Agassi! Have a great time! We will always remember you as a tennis great!