• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xbox

Cannibal Corpse    0

As you can imagine, the files on the Xbox?s Hard Disc get fragmented over time, due to the constant writing and deletion of games save files and ripped WMA audio files.

Do you think if Microsoft would ever release a utility that could defragment Xbox?s HDD for improved performance? (or maybe third party companies)

That would be very interesting.

nl|nighthawk    0

Maybe it defrags automatically in the background?? Dunno. Dont own an XBOX. ;)

Malechai    116
Maybe it defrags automatically in the background??

that'd be pretty smart if it did that actually. would MS think of that i wonder?

werejag    0

isnt xbox drive ntfs? if so no need to defrag

Malechai    116

uh...then why is there defrag progs out there for NTFS systems? (eg. Diskeeper, O&O...)

i'm running NTFS and defragging helps

DigitalDJ    0

yeh...i use NTFS ..still need to defrag

anway..xbox dosent use NTFS it uses its own special file system, really...not defragging the hdd wouldnt make that much diff all ur doing is loading like 5MB-10MB MP3s and a few save game files

Joel    26

uh...then why is there defrag progs out there for NTFS systems? (eg. Diskeeper, O&O...)

If you let it go long enough, NTFS "learns" and starts keeping the drive in better shape. Files being spread out is not fragmented, only when the individual files are broken apart.

Chad    0

If you let it go long enough, NTFS "learns" and starts keeping the drive in better shape. Files being spread out is not fragmented, only when the individual files are broken apart.

Does it really "learn" like that? I've never really seen and docu talking about that.

tomwarren    68

Does it really "learn" like that? I've never really seen and docu talking about that.

lol thats what its supposed to do in theory but it rarely ever does, I always use O&O to defrag, best one out there

Chad    0

lol thats what its supposed to do in theory but it rarely ever does, I always use O&O to defrag, best one out there

Hrm...what is O&O?

note: i think we are goingg for the most replies in a reply record! :woot:

CoolShady2002    0

Hrm...what is O&O?

That's what I was thinking

werejag    0

Hrm...what is O&O?

really

tomwarren    68

Hrm...what is O&O?

really

lol its a defrag program

http://www.oosoft.de/index-e.html

Chad    0

Hrm...what is O&O?

really

lol its a defrag program

Heh. I figured that. I just wasn't aware what O&O stood for. Never heard it in reference to defraggers before.

werejag    0

Hrm...what is O&O?

really

lol its a defrag program

Heh. I figured that. I just wasn't aware what O&O stood for. Never heard it in reference to defraggers before.

so to use this you will have to take the drive out of the xbox!!! talk about stupid.

humcheepeng    1

Hrm...what is O&O?

really

lol its a defrag program

so to use this you will have to take the drive out of the xbox!!! talk about stupid.

LOL imagine defragmenting a CONSOLE...

BTW, I find you guys funny. I've heard of nested loops and tables, but nested -quotes-?! Ha that's a new one... so I've decided to join in the quoting goodness.

:punk:

Chad    0

Hrm...what is O&O?

really

lol its a defrag program

LOL imagine defragmenting a CONSOLE...

BTW, I find you guys funny. I've heard of nested loops and tables, but nested -quotes-?! Ha that's a new one... so I've decided to join in the quoting goodness.

:punk:

I thought the original question was a good one. It never occured to me. Have we even answered the question? I know there was some ideas (and then all the nested replies :D ).

nekrosoft13    720

wow

a pyramid :woot:

Yoursexyheroux    0

well if you hacked your xbox and had linux or windows on it

who know it might run

Yoursexyheroux    0

who know it might run

Hero

artificiallife    0

who know it might run

Hero

You could have just edited your 1st post, instead of posting again...

Dessimat0r    0

:yes:

JnCoKiLLa    0

having fun with all the quote's........

Malechai    116
If you let it go long enough, NTFS "learns" and starts keeping the drive in better shape.

that info is news to me...wasn't aware of that.

Files being spread out is not fragmented, only when the individual files are broken apart.
yea..i'm aware of that, though the defraggers I've used, after analyzing the drive and looking at the log, it shows that files are fragged into x many pieces.

anyways..originally all i was trying to say was that NTFS does have a use for defraggers.

cheers! :happy: