[CentOS] VNC question

Aaron

I have a server here at work running the latest CentOS (not sure the version at the moment). I am able to connect via vnc as long as there is an active session running on the machine. But, that means I cannot log out nor reboot without then needing to physically login to the machine in the server room then go back to my desk and connect via vnc.

Surely there is a way to set vncserver to run at boot and allow a user to see the login screen first without needing an active session?

j.r.l.

I'm not sure what you mean, I have xvnc setup on my server running without a hitch... try running it with & or use the "screen" command. Try this:

yum install screen :)

Aaron

I'm not sure what you mean, I have xvnc setup on my server running without a hitch... try running it with & or use the "screen" command. Try this:

yum install screen :)

I mean this:

When I login to the box manually (meaning literally sitting at the connected keyboard and monitor) I am then able to connect remotely via VNC (from my desktop down the hall).

When I am not logged in (meaning CentOS is sitting at the login screen) I cannot connect via VNC from my desktop down the hall.

Our Windows servers give me the login prompt when I connect remotely. How can I set up CentOS to allow me to connect via VNC to the login screen?

I don't like having to leave a session open 24/7 just to be able to remotely connect. I'd like to log off when done working then be able to VNC back in and get teh login screen and open a new session.

Make sense? :wacko:

Miuku.

How about switching to FreeNX? It's both much faster than a VNC and also supports session spawning like you wish to (It's equivalent to the terminal services in Windows, although better)

For the Windows/Linux clients, visit www.nomachine.com and you can prolly grab the RPMs for CentOS unless they have a repository for it (I'm afraid I can only assist in SuSE FreeNX installations directly)

Oh and yes, it's completely free :) Supports SSH encryption, tunneling - the works. Only requires an open SSH port on the server.

j.r.l.

Never had a problem with that... I use SSH though, so I'm not all too familiar with your problem.

kyro

heh .... the replies are funny.

ok , u need vncserver session going on boot itself (like not needing to make manual X login and then remotely vnc, ) now i hope i got it correct.

If so, then meet X11Vnc

Download at http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/#downloading

checkout http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/#faq-config-file

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q-8: I don't like typing arcane command line options every time I start x11vnc. What can I do? Is there a config file? Or a GUI?

You could create a shell script that calls x11vnc with your options:

#!/bin/sh

#

# filename: X11vnc (i.e. not "x11vnc")

# It resides in a directory in $PATH. "chmod 755 X11vnc" has been run on it.

#

x11vnc -wait 50 -localhost -rfbauth $HOME/.vnc/passwd -display :0 $*

a similar thing can be done via aliases in your shell (bash, tcsh, csh, etc..).

Or as of Jun/2004 you can use the simple $HOME/.x11vncrc config file support. If that file exists, each line is taken as a command line option. E.g. the above would be:

# this is a comment in my ~/.x11vncrc file

wait 50 # this is a comment to the end of the line.

-localhost # note: the leading "-" is optional.

rfbauth /home/fred/.vnc/passwd

display :0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: now i think , you should put this startx11.sh script in /etc/init.d/ and make this as ON by chkconfig . (b carefull , havnt done this myself :p )

I used to do this in another way too, long time ago, but forgot.

maybe like [ root@host#chkconfig --level 235 vncserver on] and restarting linux , then trying remote vncviewer or something. bah, forgot it completely actually.

Miuku.

heh .... the replies are funny

What's funny about suggesting a vastly superior product?

VNC is dead, buried and forgotten - no one in their right mind uses it anymore, for anything.

h3xis

VNC is dead, buried and forgotten - no one in their right mind uses it anymore, for anything.

What the hell? I use VNC on a daily basis when I need to administer my mother's computer from here at school. I know a vast number of people who use it as well. VNC is anything but dead.

r4dius

lol? :rolleyes:

kyro

sooooo what happened? What worked for you afterall Aaron ?

Aaron

sooooo what happened? What worked for you afterall Aaron ?

Oh, sorry for not posting back. I've not been able to get the FreeNX to work. I have the windows client and the server, node, and client installed on the linux box. I can see the server, try to connect, but it gives me a server not configured properly error. I have enable the account, password DB, etc. I'm not saying it is not working, but rather that I have not yet got it working. It may be better than VNC but it sure is more complex to get running.

kyro

Oh, sorry for not posting back. I've not been able to get the FreeNX to work. I have the windows client and the server, node, and client installed on the linux box. I can see the server, try to connect, but it gives me a server not configured properly error. I have enable the account, password DB, etc. I'm not saying it is not working, but rather that I have not yet got it working. It may be better than VNC but it sure is more complex to get running.

ya, its kindof tricky to get it working, especially the part of creating SSH-key and importing it in windows/client part.

You might like the guide/howto at the following link http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/ .