known windows xp bugs?

yo there, neowin dudes and dudettes!

i have some questions regarding the RC2 release of windows xp. i've had two problems so far (although the OS itself is stable as a rock, i love it!) and i'd like to know wheter those bugs are known and being fixed by microsoft or not.

first of all, my intellimouse explorer sometimes stops working all of a sudden. the light goes off and i have to reboot to make it work again. this happens mostly after a long system uptime.

then, the system executable DEVLDR32.exe crashes almost every time when shutting down the system and thus, causing a total system crash and forcing me to reset my machine manually.

are any of these bugs known? did they also happen to anyone of you? thanks for the response.

2 bugs here, too :

1st : sound sometimes sounds horrible (look in my thread)

2nd : can?t save my internet login information, always have to enter my user/pass again

nothng else, stable as a rock, as you said

I've had none of them but here are my bugs:

1st : TOTAL system locks. Hard disk activity is high but nothing will bring it out of this lock.

2nd : Frequent locks while running FrontPage XP (two just a second ago). Strange problems.

3rd : Random locks - Often they "seem" to be caused by both Internet Explorer and more often Windows Messenger. I think this is down to the fact that Microsoft HAVEN'T yet released any drivers for their mice. I have a M$ WheelMouse Optical. These locks are similar to number 1 but seem to be specific to some programs.

I have PLENTY of other problems but I can't think of any more at the moment. I am trying to finish typing as quickly as possible because I'm afraid my computer might crash ANY time.

PS - I'm running RC1. I have had no mice problems and as I have said in other posts, all my GAMES run fine. It's only on the desktop that things seem to crash. NEVER IN GAME. Totally strange.

-mortensenj

Gotta fix the USB device detection problem. Windows 2000 had a little problem, but after some fiddling, it worked itself out, neither did Win98 have any problems finding my USB equipment, but XP is a pain to get my usb mp3 player and camera to work.

Other than that, rock solid. Only problem that I had was with 2462 locking up if i switched to another user and had a program running in the background, but that has gone away.

So far, XP RC2 is performing perfectly, rock solid, no lockups, compared to my win2k partition, it's on par, maybe a little slower but that's possibly due to the luna theme.

none of the above i dont think but, my system will just hang for a few senconds and nothing other that the mouse pinter will move but when windows becomes active agian all the clicking i just done comes up all at once eg lots of windows

hangs for about 10seconds

Devldr is related to the SBLive card ... if u use anything other than the drivers that are supplied on the XP disc u will get this message ... Its a pain as they are by default set to two speakers and there is no way (afaik) of adding surround/5.1 support to the card, even though u can select in properties 5.1 etc ... :right:

Originally posted by BeLGaRaTh  

Devldr is related to the SBLive card ... if u use anything other than the drivers that are supplied on the XP disc u will get this message ... Its a pain as they are by default set to two speakers and there is no way (afaik) of adding surround/5.1 support to the card, even though u can select in properties 5.1 etc ... :right:

yeah, i just found that out as well

i tried to disable the drivers but the device manager crashed ... :s oh well

i'm gonna reboot in safe mode and try again ... but right now i'm watching tee vee :D

This is the best way to fix your sblive issue.

To get your SoundBlaster Live to work properly in Windows XP do the following:

DRIVER: http://www.soundblaster.com/scripts/downlo...i/SBL51_W2k.exe

NOTE: You can use this driver for any version of the SoundBlaster Live sound card. (Value, MP3, 5.1..ect)

Just follow the instructions below.

1) Make sure you are running the SBLive drivers(M$Driver.) that XP installed.

If you have already installed previous Liveware software go to Control Panel/Add/Remove programs and remove it.

2) Make new folder on c: or D: drive and name it "sblive".

3) Put SBL51.EXE, SBL51.W02, SBL51.W03 and SBL51WDM.LIB in the sblive folder

4) Go to the Device Manger/Sound, video & game controllers and remove:

Creative SB Live! (WDM) & Creative SB Live! Gameport drivers.

5) In a start/run box type - c: or D:sblivesbl51.exe /w <---the "/w" switch is very IMPORTANT!

6) When the installation prompts you to replace the RC1 drivers with the unsigned Creative Labs drivers

click "STOP". The installation will continue. (Sometimes you aren't prompted to install new drivers

but this is not a problem.)

7) When done installing the updated drivers - REBOOT

8) After booting to the desktop screen windows will detect new hardware. When it finishes REBOOT again.

9) Now you have sound and everything will work great!

Hope this helps!

MINz

I do have one major problem that I would like sorted. I can't get the level editor for Half-Life [WorldCraft 3.3] to work properly. It will go in fine FIRST time to test a level but locks when trying to come out (sometimes comes out fine - normally have to Ctrl-Alt-Del). Then when I go in for a SECOND time it will give a TOTAL lock on the load up screen for Half-Life. I have tried both Win2000 and Win98 compatability mode.

-mortensen

scrollbar.gif

The Image shown above is the Windows Messenger bug I'm currently having, the scrollbar disappeared.

Also, Messenger also refuses to auto-scroll down when a user types in a message, so that I can see it.

Other bugs/glitches:

1. TweakUI freezes occasionally.

2. Dragging the mouse in any folder randomly, to the edge of the folder and beyond usually makes a graphical glitch.

3. Right clicking a folder in Start -> Programs will bring up a context menu (rename, properties etc) this occasionally hides behind the taskbar. very annoying.

No OS freezes/crashes have been experienced, but I do get this message in my Event Viewer on every boot:

ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

The only bug I have experienced was with my MS Intellimouse Optical mouse not functioning when I turned on my computer. A simple reboot, however, corrected the issue. I'm running Release Candidate 2.

RC1 bugs...Installing RC2 this weekend after download and backup :p

1: Same DEVLDR32.exe crash when logging out. It doesn't hang the system though. I imagine this goes to the problem below as I've read the other posts.

2: My sound disapears when switching between users with my sound blaster live card. Works after logging out and back in. It doesn't bother me much though. (defualt drivers)

3. Quicktime 4, 5,etc. installs properly, but only works in Netscape. (Even with IE plugins installed : checked folder)

4. No opengl for my ATI Radeon with standard drivers...Install latest beta drivers...get opengl...ping shoots up from 40 to 200-400 on online games (Half-Life). I guess this isn't a bug!?! :p

5. Strange and obscure Photoshop errors. Not a big deal.

Other than that, I'm in love. I've only restarted RC1 twice in the last two weeks to reinstall mandrake....and it still works wonderfully! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

hey ritsuke - were u able to get ur Radeon's refresh rate to run at a decent refresh rate (i.e above 60hz) in XP?

I have a RADEN 64MB ddr - but im forced to use it in my old 9x box cos of the refresh rate probs

:(

That picture is so old, and always is used in conjunction with Windows humor. *yawn* Could just as easily be the Linux buglist.

/me puts on patented flame proof asbestos suit.

crackhbob -

thats cool

i unfortunately have only got 2505/RC1

and that seems to be the same as 2000 with refresh rates for RADEON

(i.e. sh1t)

its a pain in the ass cos it is a VASTLY superior card to anything except a Geforce3 IMO - the visual quality is unbelievable - and when u see Q3 with the compressed textures done right - its depressing to go back to nvidias botched up DXTC :(

did u even have to install special drivers or use Powerstrip?

If u didnt then thats cool

:)

I have a ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP video card running on Win XP RC2.

At 1280x1024, the only refresh rate I can run at is 60 Hz.

At 1152x769, the max refresh rate is 75 Hz.

BTW, sometimes when I open a lot of windows, my taskbar freezes up for several seconds.