[review] Hyundai N91W Widescreen

My first ever TFT was the AG Neovo F-417 (R12), a 17", and considering it was my first TFT and that I very knew little about TFT panels at the time I bought the first one in my budget I came across (?150). Needless to say I was very pleased with the purchase and thankful I didn't buy it some months earlier before they release revision R12 since rev 1 had severe crapness issues!

Anyway, the AG turned out to be awesome in terms of sharpness, image quality and performance and excellent for my needs (gaming and photography) but now almost 2 years on I need something a little wider and modern.

I was initially going for the Samsung 205BW which is a 20" widescreen but ?100 more in cost and my dad has the 19" model which is around ?165 - both support HDCP and that was my key area but having used the 940BW I decided against it for it's lack of black blacks and a slight backlight bleed issue when watching widescreen fils as it gets distracting. They are also silver and you get a silver bezel visible when watching films at night!

I decided against a HDCP screen for the moment because by the time I am enjoying HD-DVD/BD-R on a regular basis I will have a nice 24" or bigger TFT at a much nicer cost than what they are today. Almost certain of th:) :)To the Hyundai !/b>

First of all a link to all the pics so you can read this brief review and look at the pics in your browser tabs.

I paid ?155 for this at a popular local etailer, I went to pick it up to save a further ?5 or so for shipping and I had to have it "now" heh.Specss (from ocuk, a syou can see, ocuk poo'd badly on the spec...)

- 5ms Response Time (LIES! it's actually 8ms)

- 0.294mm of Pixels Pitch

- 800:1 Contrast Ratio

- 300 CDm? Brightness

- 170?/ 155? (h./v.) Viewing Angles

- frequency range 31 to 80kHz horizontal an75Hz75Hz vertically

- Automatic Picture Synchronisation

- 1440 x 900 with 60Hz recommended resolution (LIES! 75Hz at max res is this screens optimum set by Hyundai)

- 16.2 million colors display (LIES! 16.7 million colors)

- 2 x Analogue Input

- 1 x DVI input

- integrated loudspeaker (2ch x 2 Watts RMS)

- Kensington ready (Wall MountablPackingking

Like any other TFT out there really, packeasy-carry-nessness in mind - nothing out of the ordinary hereUnpackingking

I love this part, taking a new bought item out of the well packedbox and just looking at it...for ages....from all angles....it's a nice looking screen, certainly far nicer looking than the majority of the competition and even the spec beats them in almost all aspeConnectivityvity

I did not know if it came with a DVI cable so I quickly ran over at the servicedesk whilst waiting for the item to rollout onto the collection bay to ask if it came with a cable - The guy said it did and sure enough,not>not, I was annoyed by this but remembered by dads Samsung came with both DVI and VGA so I chavved his cable since his geforce fx doesn't have a DVI out connectioUsabilitylity

It's very user friendly, the controls and OSD are logical and easy to manage, I had no issues here at all. Even getting the cables in was quite easy. Hyundai bundled both EU and UK plug leads with it, shame there was no DVI cable though, only 1x Performanceance

Nothing but praise here, I've played some CS:S and will reinstall FEAR shortly, I have watched some HD trailers and watched a bit of Fifth Element in HD - they look awesome, no ghosting anywhere at all!

One thing that stuck out on this screen was that the colour tone by default is very white, I like this since I work with Photos alot so accurate whites are important. I also found the blacks to be very good too - The contrast was nice enough and even when set high it didn't cause my eyes to fatugueImage qualitylityCompared to...o...

Samsung 6ms 940BW Widescreen

- Clarity is much better, though this is probably down to the fact I am using DVI and the Samsung is not, I suspect the samsung will be just as good probably when DVI is used.

- The Samsung has more visible backlight bleeding, the N91w has SOME bleeding but it's not easily noticable on my sample unless you look for it, this to me is acceptable.

- Samsung has more customisation for stand and menu options

- The Hyundai looks much much nicer

- The Samsung suffers from bezel highlighting when watching movies in the dark as it's all silver..

- Photos look nicer on the Hyundai thanks to the 800:1 conConclusionsions

I like this monitor, it's more cooler in colour than my old screen but it's something I can get used to like most things new. I like the nice features it has.

The N91 is another AG Neovo F417 for me, I paid ?143 for the Neovo almost 2 years ago and I just sold it to my mate for ?50 and bought this widescreen this morning for ?155 meaning I only paid a shade over ?100 for it. At a price like this absolyutely no one can make a single complaint about it especially me!

There are some small niggles though which are noted below, as always they are user preferences and different people will have different views on such things...

- The stand is slick but only tilt movement available. Why no swivel or height? the stand itself could easily accomodate this from design alone.

- By default the brightness is all the way up and contrast set to 50, what's the deal here ?

- Only a VGA cable supplied, for a screen with 3 inputs they should have bundled 3 cables, this screen works very nice with DVI so why not bundle a DVI cable instead if only /one/ is to be bundled?

- The "manual" is like a small booklet, only teh first page is in english...lol.

Pigeon_Killer on the other thread (on ocuk, natch, this is posted on anothe:pboard too :p) about this panel asked an interesting question

why should I buy this monitor over the 20" Dell? I look forward to reading your review.

Well the Dell costs almost ?200 more, I onsidered the 2007WFP yesterday but as above, at this price, with this spec, with that look I simply could not consider spending more on only an inch more screen size. I also did not wnat to have a duff WFP with the banding issue and then have to go through an RMA.

If anyone else has any questions about this panel or wnats to see pics of different angles etc then just ask as I can answer questions that may not have been answered above or post more pic:)on request :)

I'll give it a:Deasy 8/10 :D