new to overclocking

I am totally new to overclocking a PC, infact i have never overclocked mine, I have a P-3 500 with 256 Mb memory, its a year and a half old computer refurbished frmo E-Machines

can you tell me how i can overclock it and to what extent?

600mhz wouldn't be impossible, but you aren't exactly letting us in on the details =)

if it's a katmai with off-die cache it will be harder to overclock than for example a coppermine with on-die cache.

also, keep track of the idlestate & full load temperatures, run tests and stuff...

katmai is slot-1, coppermine (and friends) are socket 370

The fact that it's a Intel chip don't expect much overclocking capabilities. The only Intel chip that can be overclocked is the Celeron and OEM (E-machine, IBM, HP, DELL, Compaq.... etc) DON'T build any overclocking capability in their PCz. To be able to overclock a PC you'll need to get a new motherboard and more than likely a new case too. You wont get anything from E-machines. The most you can do is to change the Front Side Bus (FSB) to 133mhz IF they even allow you to do that!

shotta: will and determination... ;)

anyways, download something like CPUid or whatever it's called... might be able to tell you a bit about the cpu itself, like model and stepping.

then search the internet for overclocking sites (there are ALOT)...

lastly, if you find any mention of how to unlock celeron 2 multiplier i will be in debt to you forever ;)

Tips for overclocking :

Cooling is important !.

Never force your CPU, if you sense unstability...then refer back to normal.

Get a good heatsink such as GlobalWin.

globalwin is outperformed, and has a much higher noise-level than my current cooling, the Zalman CNPS3100 copper.

celeron2 700, stable at 1050mhz, tops at 40 degrees celcius.

can't push it any further because of the gfx card =/

Originally posted by grimman

600mhz wouldn't be impossible, but you aren't exactly letting us in on the details =)

if it's a katmai with off-die cache it will be harder to overclock than for example a coppermine with on-die cache.

also, keep track of the idlestate & full load temperatures, run tests and stuff...

katmai is slot-1, coppermine (and friends) are socket 370

Coppermine also comes in Slot 1...