XBOX360 Live Connection issues.

Ok i am having alot of trouble setting up my xbox360 to the internet.

downstairs downstairs upstairs upstairs

MODEM-------->WIRELESS ROUTER---------->MY MAIN RIG----------------->XBOX360

patch cable Wireless Crossover cable

Ok basically i cannot get internet connected to my xbox360. I have put the IP of the xbox and PC both to auto and it doesnt seem to work thru the nForce4 Ethernet. I have tried internet connection sharing on my wireless device and it still doesnt work saying there is no internet connection to the 360. I did try my 25m crossover cable and fed it downstairs to the router and it worked on the test connection but something about xbox service is down for sevicing so i couldnt test if that fixed it but once i did that, an IP was assigned with an DNS aswell which wasnt done when i set the conenction from my PC to my console. I am running out of ideas on what to do. I dont want to run a 25m cable down to the router but i dont really want to buy the wireless bridge which cost alot when i can just have it from my main rig.

Doe anyone have any ideas on how to help me to connect it sucessfully?

Thanks.

Did you bridge the wireless and ethernet connections together?

No i didnt but i remember trying it before on my last xbox and it worked. Ill give that a shot in a moment. Basically if i assigned custom IPs i wouldntt get internet on my main rig as its slows it right now for some reason.

UPDATE: i fixed the issue now :)

How did you fix it? This way people who might have the same issue know for future reference.

Step by Step Guide on how to connect your XBOX360 from your PC that has a wireless connection.

What you need:

1x PCI Wireless Adaptor

1x Free Ethernet port (either onboard or PCI)

1x Crossover cable (Supplied with console)

Step 1: PC - Setting Wireless Adaptor for sharing

Open up Network connections and select the device that ahs the internet going throught it. Rght click and go to properties and select the advanced tab. Enable ICS (Internet connection sharing) on the network connection that is going connected by the xbox360 which in my case was my wireless adaptor and press ok. You don’t need to tick the 2nd check box, just the 1st one about sharing internet with other users.

Step 2: XBOX360 - Settings

Make sure your network settings are set to auto (which is the default) and connect the Ethernet cable in the XBOX360 to the back of the network card.

Step 3: PC - Setting Router configuration

If like me you have a router that is giving a wireless connection to your PC then you need to go into the router settings by using an internet browser, Internet Explorer will be fine to use. I have a belkin router so to connect to it via my PC I have to use the web address http://192.168.2.1 to connect to the router terminal. In this step we have to open ports which were suggested by the XBOX360 but I managed to just open just one and everything works fine. Open port 2869 on TCP connection and save settings.

Step 4: PC – Configuring Ethernet Network Connection

Once done that you are nearly there. The final thing that needs to be done is setting up the TCP/IP on the network card. Open network connections again and select the device that the XBOX will be connected to (e.g. PCI or onboard Ethernet) and right click and open up properties. In the general tab scroll down the middle part until you get to Internet Protocol TCP/IP and select and hit properties. Here you can enter the IP needed to successfully connect to the XBOX360. I am not networking wizard and not have much experience with connections but these settings worked for me.

Select use the following IP Address and type in the numbers listed but leave the default gateway blank.

IP Address – 192.168.0.1

Subnet mask – 255.255.255.0

Step 5: XBOX360 - Confirming Settings work

Power up your XBOX360 and go to settings option and then network connection to test to see if everything passes. If it doesn’t, you need to look back on what you done wrong. I can confirm I did this 3 times and work every time after spending hours pulling my hair out!

Hopes this helps people out. Maybe a sticky? I have created a Word version with pictures so if anyone else wants more help ill be glad to send them my guide. :)