stupid cat5 question

Is all Cat5 cables the same? I'm want to set up a home network and there is so many cat 5 cables out there...FastCat5 Patch Cable, Snagless, Black, 7', thats what i'm looking at, will that be fine, I want a 10/100BT.

And a really stupid question..whats with the colors, I found a cable, blue, $5.95, then the same one, but red, for $.95 (same company/store) So am I missing something?

Thanks

Well it all depends on what you are setting up, if you want to go from one NIC to the other you will need a Crossover Cable, if you have a hub in the network you will just use a regular cable......but i am thinking your not useing a Hub, so look for a Crossover cable. The Diff. is the two pairs that are used are switched.

xGROMx pretty much summed up all you need to know..

If you go to a computer store, and you see all the different types, all you need to know is :

Crossover Cable - buy this if you want to run one Network Card straight into another Network Card. Obviously this will only work if you want to link 2 machines together.. no more.

Normal - Buy these if you want to plug your PC's into a hub or switch.

As for the different types, it shouldn't matter too much.. if you want to make sure you get good quality cable, look for CAT5-E (which means Category 5-Enhanced) - other than that, its pretty much all the same stuff :-)

Depending on the store, just ask the guy there what he'd think you'd need.

Of course, some computer store people are total idiots, so that may not be the best course of action.

CAT5 is basically all you need to know, my recomendation is get a good 10/100 SWITCH (not hub). It's so much faster, and it has auto sensing so that you don't get network collisions, which means your data as a lesser chance of being corrupted by the time it gets to its location if both computers are being used heavly on the network.

Well, jsut stick to what my post......look for a Crossover cable, you have no need for a hub, that would be a wast in my opinion.

Originally posted by Marshalus

Depending on the store, just ask the guy there what he'd think you'd need.

Of course, some computer store people are total idiots, so that may not be the best course of action.

CAT5 is basically all you need to know, my recomendation is get a good 10/100 SWITCH (not hub). It's so much faster, and it has auto sensing so that you don't get network collisions, which means your data as a lesser chance of being corrupted by the time it gets to its location if both computers are being used heavly on the network.

If your serious about your home network go for a 10/100 switch, the extra expense is well worth it. I got a cable Router with built in switch, which means my cable connection can be shared very easily. As long as the cables are rated CAT5 it doesn't matter what colour they are, but you may need at least 1 cross-over cable.

Don't worry about Colors that really has nothing to do with anything.

As stated above

Get a CATegory 5 Crossover cable to connect 2 pcs together

If you plan to use a Hub, Switch, or Router, get a Normal, or as it is correctly called a "Patch" cable...

Don't worry about Rollover cables, they are different than Crossover but you don't need one

Rember Crossover is NOT a Rollover!!

and that is about it