[NFL] Terrell Owens attempted suicide

Police report: Terrell Owens attempted suicide

According to a Dallas police report obtained by News 8, Dallas Cowboys star receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide Tuesday night.

The report says Owens, 32, was depressed and reportedly took prescription pain pills. Owens broke his right hand in a Sept. 17 game against the Washington Redskins.

A woman companion stated that she observed Owens putting two pills in his mouth.

According to the police narrative, the woman said the prescription of 40 pills was filled on September 18 and?until Tuesday?Owens had taken only five pills.

The police report said Owens was asked if he had taken the rest of the prescription; Owens said, "Yes."

According to the report, police also asked if he was trying to harm himself. Owens answered, "Yes."

Owens was treated at Baylor University Medical Center.

"This is stunning news; obviously and incredibly surprising that a man in this position would reach this level of depression," said WFAA-TV sports director Dale Hansen. "There's something terribly wrong here, and hopefully we'll find out as the day goes on."

Hansen said a source at the Cowboys' Valley Ranch headquarters told him that doors to all offices were closed.

A Dallas Cowboys spokesman told News 8 the team has no comment on the police report, nor is any news conference scheduled.

The player's publicist didn't immediately return calls for comment.

Owens, one of the league's top receivers during his 11-year NFL career, is best known for wild stunts on the field and other publicity-seeking antics off it.

When the Cowboys signed him to a $25 million, three-year deal in March, they said their background checks indicated no red flags. In fact, team consultant Calvin Hill?who mostly deals with troubled players?said during training camp that his department was not involved with Owens because he didn't have a history of those kinds of problems.

Dallas police officials said they were planning a news conference later Monday, but did not immediately release a time. A hospital spokeswoman said early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

People that were with him still say that it was an allergic reaction and he responded 'yes' when asked if he harmed himself because he was groggy and out of it. Frankly, we won't know what really happened for a while. I hope it was just a bad reaction, because it is truly sad to see him try to commit suicide.

My prayers are with him.

im the type of person that would love to see a start player go down to let my raiders win, but i see im that that bad. im not making jokes about people that wants to kill them selfs.

my brother told me yesterday i was like "ok" TO tried to kill him self :rolleyes:

Somehow I knew that as soon as the story was posted on Neowin there would be the inevitable rude, crass, and inhumane comments. Good to see those didn't happen, guys!

:rolleyes:

I don't like him, but hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery and get his mind right for the sake of his own mental health.

Some messed up people in here. I read threads about how wrong it is for colleges to kick people who attempt suicide out instead of helping them and other positive posts about getting people help but in here its "Too bad he didn't go through with it." attitude from some folks. How sad. He does have family so think about how they feel right now, it would be about the same feelings that you would have if it was someone in your family or a friend that is close to you (a** hole or not to other people).

im the type of person that would love to see a start player go down to let my raiders win, but i see im that that bad. im not making jokes about people that wants to kill them selfs.

my brother told me yesterday i was like "ok" TO tried to kill him self :rolleyes:

raiders are goin' down on sunday!! woooot

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_on_...ns_hospitalized

Owens denies he tried to kill himself

DALLAS - Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens denied a police report Wednesday that he attempted suicide, saying he became groggy after mixing painkillers with supplements.

As if to prove he's doing fine, Owens went from the hospital to catching passes from quarterback Drew Bledsoe within two hours, then proclaimed himself "very capable of going out there and playing on Sunday" ? despite whatever happened Tuesday night and a broken right hand.

Owens said the confusion likely stemmed from an empty bottle of pain medication found by his publicist, who was with him at the time and called 911. He said the rest of the pills were in a drawer.

"I was non-responsive when she made that call," Owens said. "She made the call out of her judgment for my well-being."

Appearing in a news conference at team headquarters a few hours after leaving a hospital for what a police report described as "a drug overdose," Owens wore workout gear and no bandage on his right hand. The star receiver smiled and seemed more amused than peeved at the latest ruckus surrounding him.

Owens, 32, blamed a combination of hydrocodone, a generic form of Vicodin, with all-natural supplements for making him ill.

It wasn't a suicide attempt, and the story was greatly exaggerated:

Maybe it was a suicide attempt. We may never know.

The symptoms (TO described disorientation and memory loss) sure don't sound like an allergic reaction to me. An overdose of pain pills would cause those symptoms, though.

Edited by boogerjones

Exaggeration from the media at its finest :whistle:

The media reported what was in the police report. Was there some quick reaction by some journalists? Yes, but I didn't see any exaggeration. And of course TO is going to deny everything. We're supposed to believe that the police are lying now?

Taking a few pain pills doesn't put you in an ambulance. You've got to swallow a lot of them. And allergic reactions don't make you lethargic and unresponsive. If they do then you're already dead. While it's possible that this was an accidental overdose, it seems very suspicious at this point. Maybe we'll get better details in the future. Until then, hold off on your conclusions (I'll try to as well) and lets see if more info comes out.

Edited by boogerjones

omg you people believe everything you read. obviously he was taking them to get trashed not suicide. i guess if thats the case i've attempted suicide many times since i have overdosed on painkillers as well lmao

i believe brett favre also overdosed on vicodin a few years back as well too

i believe brett favre also overdosed on vicodin a few years back as well too

Yeah, and after he got off the painkillers he started throwing more interceptions. And then he started going to teen parties with that statutory-rapist Mark Chmura.

Another thing: according to cops (who TO and his publicist are claiming made everything up), TO tried to put more pills into his mouth AFTER he was already groggy. That doesn't make much sense. And the publicist told cops that TO was depressed. Combine that with TO's bipolar-like personality and you've got a pretty good case here. If the dude needs help, let's get him help.

Maybe it was a suicide attempt. We may never know.

The symptoms (TO described disorientation and memory loss) sure don't sound like an allergic reaction to me. An overdose of pain pills would cause those symptoms, though.

A hospital wouldn't release you within a couple of hours if it was a suicide attempt.