How Do U Remove Screensavers In Xp?

also delete the copy of the .scr file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

all your .scr files should be in your c:windows\system32 folder and nowhere near your dllcache folder

Tried....they just come back :huh:

What do you mean "they just come back?" They shouldn't be in your dllcache so are you sure you removed them?

ever heard of a little thing called Windows File Protection? :happy: :D try command prompt, although im not sure if that can get arounf WFP either :no:

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

There is a registry key that you can change called "sfcdisable", you just need to change it to the value of 1 to disable Windows File Protection.

More information can be found here.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Odyssey

What do you mean "they just come back?" They shouldn't be in your dllcache so are you sure you removed them?

ever heard of a little thing called Windows File Protection? :happy: :D try command prompt, although im not sure if that can get arounf WFP either :no:

Of course I have heard of WFP/SFP. However, I have never known screen savers to be stored in the dllcache, but that is just my mistake.

To disable SFC, you must modify much more than that.

This information is for XP, without SP1. Do not attempt the following unless you know what you are doing and everything has been backed up!

1) Start->Run, regedit

2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

3) Change SFCDisable to 0xFFFFFF9d

4) Go to cmd prompt, and make a backup copy of %windir%\system32\sfc_os.dll and a copy to edit named such as "sfc_os.hex"

5) Open sfc_os.hex in your favorite hex editor

6) Go to offset 0x0E2B8 and verify that the 2 bytes are 0x8BC6

7) Change these two bytes to 0x9090

8) Reboot to Recovery Console and overwrite sfc_os.dll with the sfc_os.hex

9) SFC will now completely be disabled.

I wrote a program to do the aforementioned, however, it is not available to the public because I don't want people to modify items without knowing the repercussions.