[UK] At what age can you be kicked out...

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone knew the age that you can be kicked out of the house by your parents in the UK? I have always heard parents referring to the fact that when their child is 18 (then obviously an adult), the first thing they would do is to kick them out :p.

So are parents allowed to kick there child out if they are under eighteen, surely that cannot be allowed?

Cheers,

Martyn.

Legally you can't kick someone out under 16 because they would be put into a home from what I've seen for myself.

If your under 18 and you get kicked out, you can get special housing from the councils, but the parents have to admit they kicked you out before you can on that though.

It's age sixteen in the UK I think you'll find, and yes, there are centres available for teens kicked out of their home to get help and a place to stay.

I think parents only used to kick thier kids out when they were 18 when margret thatcher was in power, that was because poll tax (now called council tax) was charged by the number of people in the house, you were only counted if you were 18 or above, so when kids turned 18, the charges would increase, hence the parents would kick thier kids out to keep charges down (the kid would then usually have to find a place to rent and a job etc..)

But the way its charged is changed now, there really is no need for the parents to kick thier kids out, they could just ask for rent or something (which would most likely come from benefits if the kid doesnt have/get a job)

Errr... There are a whole mess of legal issues here! So let me state: This does not constitute legal advice, and if faced with homelessness, you should consult a lawyer as soon as possible. My understanding is as such:

Technically, your parents can "kick" you out at anytime (Although they would be liable to criminal prosecution and the child should become subject to care proceedings, and would most likely end up in foster care).

If you are over 16 and under 18 and were to find yourself homeless you would be classified as a "Child in need" and as such your local authority should provide you with accommodation as well as support from a personal adviser and a pathway plan (which deals with accommodation, training, education and health needs.)

But again I stress, seek help from a professional as soon as possible. They will be aware of the current law and will be able to best advise you.

Leebobs

it is 16.. 16 your even allowed to leave home without your parents having anything to do with you.. ive had the actual truth from police officers from a situation with my ex girlfriend running away from home

Just my thought OK...

I don't know if it is about u or a friend (I will use "you" and "your" as a person) to share/express my point of view. I would set the following question instead of answering yours plainly. If your parents make you think/wondering such things like those written here, are u sure you wanna spend your life with them? ... even if u are under 18. Living a life with parents that force their children having such thoughts aren't worth it. I bet when you start thinking such cases/possibilities something made u and I believe this "something" isn't pretty. In my country (and I wish in other countries too) the case of leaving the parents' house is a choice that comes naturally after a certain age. Is not something to be forced just because the parents don't have any obligation since you're "mature" now. Jesus how mature an 18 year old can be. Unless you lived your life in the streets and you've learned the hard way. Anyway I guess my lack of literate words required in this case doesn't help much in expressing accurately my point of view, but I hope I made u start thinking the deeper meaning of all these.

My regards

... a fellow Neowinian

PS. I spent almost 10 years in UK but luckily never faced such a case in my set

^ Hey, you know most parents are more than happy to have their children at home until they are about 50!

When I was 16/17 I had my step dad threaten to kick me out several times. Apparently revising instead of washing up shows a "poor attitude" or some BS. Fortunately my mother actually opened her mouth and stood up to him for once (her love is not based on following irrational orders like a robot). Naturally I took the first opportunity to remove his ability to make such threats when I was 18.

He now does the same to my brother who is still in school. Oh and tries to claim credit for my academic success because bitching about my homework when I was 11 and threatening homelessness made a real difference.

Anyway, I do believe your parents can kick you out at 16. If you are younger they can have you put into care. My cousin went to live with my grandparents for a few months when she was 14/15, but she missed her friends and got homesick and stupidly went home.

I am sure that relatively few young people have this sort of thing happen to them as nearly all parents love their children unconditionally.