Major Corruption Problems - Help!

I'm at wits end! For about 6 months, pretty much all my downloads get corrupted. I've bought a new modem, hell, I've bought a new PC (not because I thought it would resolve the problem, but worth mentioning nonetheless) but the same problem exists. I'm guessing the problem is in the phone line. The phone company put my internet line onto a pair-gain without my consent and apart from speeds being reduced to a ****-poor 28.8, like the title says, there's maaajor corruption issues. I can BARELY download a 3 meg file, I normally have to download a 3 meg file twice or three times until I get an uncorrupted download. Go above 5 or 10 megs and it's pretty much 99.999999... (you get the picture)% chance of corruption. I have tried EVERYTHING, I've cycled through all the init strings for both the external modem and internal modem I own, every combination that you can think of, I've tried, believe me. Gone through pretty much every setting known to man as well, compression, forced error correction.. everything. Does anyone have any idea.. ANY clue to what may resolve the problem or what's causing it? I've had the phone company come and check the line and they say it's fine, and there isn't any audible line noise.

I just bought a Creative Sound Blaster Live! Digital Entertainment 5.1 SE as well as a $250 Logitech speaker outfit (Logitech Z640 if you're curious) and I can't even download XP drivers for the sound card, so for now I'm stuck with 2 channels of sound with the rear satelitte speakers inoperable until I get some drivers, and damn, it's a real buzz-kill, y'know? And I've still haven't been able to download the 40.72 WHQL's, tried every download location on filemirrors and it always ends up corrupt, it makes me want to scream!

Some quick specs, apart from what you see in the sig, my two modems are Netcomm InModem (lucent chipset) and a Swann Netslider (Rockwell a.k.a. Conexant chipset). I've used the drivers directly from the chipset manufacturers as well as the drivers from the web site, it makes no difference. I've attached a screenshot of my connection status, doubt it will help but it can't hurt.

A detailed list of things I've tried are: Disabling compression, adding init strings to disable K56Flex and V.90, adding init strings to disable K56Flex alone, adding init strings to disable V.90 alone, adding init strings to force V.90, adding init strings to force K56Flex, adding init strings to force K56Flex and V.90, setting max connection speed to 19200, disabling connection sharing, disabling FIFO buffers, enabling FIFO buffers with the lowest settings possible, enabling Forced EC under Data Connection Preferences in the Phone and Modem control panel, changing the Flow Control to all different options.. I think that's it.

HELP!

..please. ;)

post-32-1037539464.jpg

Right so your on 56K, have you been using the same 56gay modem all the time? Even with this new computer?

You thought about gettin cable instead of 56gay? Sounds like u need it

Sure, I'll have broadband, mind paying for it? :p

Seriously now, Cable connectivity has only JUST come to where I live and I'm not even sure if I can get it, and I need to get a steady cashflow before I can splurge on a cable connection.

You just bought a Creative Sound Blaster Live! Digital Entertainment 5.1 SE and a $250 Logitech speaker and you can't afford broadband? You need to get your priorities straight.

I have to agree with Vlad - you put out alot of cash for the sound - but you can not afford a real connection to the net?

If you can not get a real connection, and are force to be on dialup - then atleast buy a REAL modem. Netcomm and Swan?? Buy a REAL modem! Back in the day, when forced to be on dialup, USR is the only modem I would use - and I would have to say it is still the same today!

You just bought a Creative Sound Blaster Live! Digital Entertainment 5.1 SE and a $250 Logitech speaker and you can't afford broadband? You need to get your priorities straight.

This was my first paycheck ever - and I had no intentions to patiently wait around for a broadband connection which may not even be available to me, I was gonna splurge on something that I wanted, a better speaker system for my room. I don't appreciate the tone you're taking with me, either. And I never said I can't afford broadband, I just said I need to get a steady cashflow before I can invest in it, this is my first week on the job and I'm still getting settled and most broadband hosts here run by contracts, and I'm not investing in something which I may not be able to afford later down the track.

i know 3com makes a modem that allows for good connections on really bad phone lines, don't know the name but its one of the more expensive ones

I think I've seen the modem you're talking about in a computer mag before.

Someone please enlighten me, why may the corruption be occuring? Aren't corrupt packets meant to be rejected and retransmitted?

my suggest to is to get a NON 'WIN" modem. get a modem that has an on board processor, the problem with "win" modems, is they rely on your system memory to work, and overall are worse than regual modems, the reason you get a winmodem is because they're much cheaper for OEM's or System Builders to get, i suggest you get a USRObotics that has an on board processor for Modulation/Demodulation.

-xStainDx

yeah, but when your connection is that bad, error correcting can only go so far

i has on a 26.6k connection for 5 years because of bad phone lines, didn't have too curruption though, have you tried another ISP?

also try limiting your modem to connect at 28.8, that may help

Is it possible to have a separate phone line installed? I had a 2nd line installed when I bought my house for dedicated internet use and it worked GREAT with 45-49k connections and no corrupted downloads.

The only real reason I got broadband is because Ameritec [edited by moderator] with my lines and I dropped to 28.8k at best. Fu(kers didn't even clean up the mess...

Hope you find a solution...

:D:D:D:D:D

anita

-Please, do not Circumvent the swear filter, if you do it again, a warning will be placed on your account.

Thank You

-xStainDx

n|w Global Moderator.

Anita, I am running on a 2nd phone line. The phone line was great, got beautiful connection speeds and absolutely no corruption. Then the phone line developed an absolutely psychotic line noise problem and some guys came around and "fixed it".. they didn't say this at the time but I later discovered that they instead switched me onto a pair-gain connection. Although I was limited to 28.8, there wasn't any corruption. 6 months ago, some corruption started to occur, and it slowly and slowly got worse. Now it is just plain ridicilous!

Looks like everyone is saying what I was scared of hearing, I'm gonna need to fork out some cash if I want to resolve the situation, where it be getting a better dial-up modem or a broadband connection (most likely the latter). I'm perfectly happy on 28.8 connection, broadband sounds nice but it certaintly doesn't rate as a neccesity for me, even though I spend pretty much all day on the internet I kind of in a strange way like that it's slow, it forces me to go off and do other things whilst stuff I want downloads. The real down-side to dial-up is online gaming, it's pretty much impossible, but I can live without it. Hehe, I'll probably look back on this post and laugh once I do have broadband, I'm sure I won't be able to go back.

Thanks for your advice guys. I'll start broadband shoppin'. In the mean time, if anyone has any temporary solution they think I could try, it'd be much appreciated.

Oh, and by the way username, like I said in the first post, I've lowered the connection speed to hideously low speeds - below 28.8, and it hasn't done the trick. (sidenote: Love the ghostbusters sig, ghostbusters rock!)

xStainDx, the external Swann modem isn't a winmodem (at least I'm almost certain it isn't), but the problem still exists on it.