What do you think of EB Games/Gamestop?

Hey, everybody. I work at EB Games (just on the retail level), and am thinking about drafting a letter to the higher-ups to voice some complaints I have about how the company is run.

I enjoy selling games to people, but I know that EB Games/Gamestop does not have a good reputation online. I want to know what sorts of things bug you about the chain, and what sorts of things you'd like to see happen in the store.

Although I believe that there are a number of problems with the way things work on the floor level, I think the worst has got to be the focus on numbers rather than customer service. I want to see what I can do to make people feel good about their experiences shopping at EB Games/Gamestop.

Thanks!

Prior to the merger both the companies were better off. I know I use to work for Gamestop and I knew a few managers at EB. This have gotten so out of hand with all the new policies and proceedures that it makes doing trade ins a headache at times. I still feel that where both companies went wrong is how low they pay the retail employees. Without them none of the other stuff will ever get done. At times for me it was a fun job but no amount of money they could pay me would let me stay there forever.

Prior to the merger both the companies were better off. I know I use to work for Gamestop and I knew a few managers at EB. This have gotten so out of hand with all the new policies and proceedures that it makes doing trade ins a headache at times. I still feel that where both companies went wrong is how low they pay the retail employees. Without them none of the other stuff will ever get done. At times for me it was a fun job but no amount of money they could pay me would let me stay there forever.

Oh, yeah, there's no way in Hell I'm gonna stay here forever. I agree about wages; my idea is to have optional "quizzes," of sorts, every three months about games and products coming out in the upcoming quarter. If you pass, you get a pay raise. That way, it provides an incentive for employees to stay up-to-date and well-informed about products that customers might be interested in.

Even though I was able to find some xbox 360 items at EB early on when they were hard to find elsewhere, there have been several times when I would ask one of the workers about a release date or something, and they'd rattle off a wrong answer just so they wouldn't have to go to the trouble of looking it up. There was this one guy who was infamous for doing that to everybody. I always called him Abe Lincoln because of his chin-strap beard, and everyone always new who I was talking about because they had gotten the same runaround from the guy. He was such a liar.

I go to Gamestop. The one near me is great. The only trouble with it is this big guy that works there who constantly bugs the customers as they walk in. I know you all are suppossed to ask "Could I help you with anything?" and stuff like that. This guy will ask that and I always say "I'm just looking around" or "No thanks man, already know what I'm looking for and where it is", but the guy still follows people around and constantly bugs them.

I've had words with the guy on more than a few occasions because he wouldn't leave my girlfriend alone and it once got physical when he layed his hand on her back as we came in once and she told him not to touch her and he walked away and called her a bitch. So naturally as the boyfriend, I asked "What did you just call her?" and Mr. Badass denied saying anything then wanted to push me. So he went flying into the xbox 360 display boxes by the window. He actually tried to charge me for damage done to the empty boxes :laugh: . Just laughed and said "I don't think so. How about we get the cops involved and they can take a look at the surveilance footage of you getting physical first? Or me and you can take this outside right now and I'll lay you out or I'll stand by while my girlfriend does it. She looks small, but she can take you down in 2 seconds" He didn't really have a reply. He just walked away looking stupid while everyone was staring at him and talking about him :laugh: Hasn't bothered us since and I'm not the only person who has ever pushed or punched the guy. Why he's still there I have no clue.

I used to love going to EB Games, but they don't carry any of the older games like they used to. I have pretty much every system made in the last 15 years and I like to buy the games every once in a while and they were always good on carrying games you couldn't find anywhere else. They got rid of all that a few years ago. You can tell by walking in that they don't get as much business now like they did a few years ago when they had a little of everything, old and new.

There's 4-5 GameStops in my area and the closest one to me has been very good. I've only had an issue with one lady there - when Test Drive Unlimited came out, I took in MotoGP06 to put toward the game. When she saw I had a trade-in, she gave this big sigh and was like "Alllll right..." I had the feeling that she didn't want to have to take an additional 3 minutes to enter all of my information for the trade-in (phone number, address, etc.). But, last week when I bought SC:DA, I took in TDU and Saint's Row, and another lady who helped me actually asked me about the games I was trading in and whether I liked them or not, and then she gave her opinions on them (which is always welcomed, to me anyway). Unfortunately, Grumpy works the morning shifts, and that is when I usually go there since I'm just getting off a night shift and no lines or a bunch of people perusing around.

I really miss FuncoLand, the folks that worked there were great.

i went to ebgames about a week ago to pickup guitar hero. i had already been playing the game for a while at my friends an i finally decided to pick it up for myself. the girl at the counter couldn't help but tell me how fun this game is. i told her i've been playing it for a while now.. and she just rambled on about all the bands in it. then she asked if i wanted to reserve guitar hero 2. i told her no because i had to drive out of my way already just to pick up this one. to which she then said "well once you start playing this one (the first guitar hero), you'll come back and get guitar hero 2 i guarantee it." i shook my head and said "yeah.. i've already played this one.. ive been playing it for a while now.. thanks." come to think of it.. that bitch was a total emo.

kinda freaky how i can fall onto this thread after bein at EB earlier tonight. So here i was browsing through the games at eb, couldnt find a decent one for my gamecube so decided to check out the x-box games. After a quick look i decided to get the new marval game looked pretty cool. So i stand in line and notice justice league for the ps2 so i change my mind and went to put the game back, got back inline and asked for a copy of justice league the guy behind the counter prolly the manager gave me this look cuz i didnt give him the stupid empty case off the shelf then i asked "do you guys have it for x-box?" he was like "if its not on the shelf then no its not made for the x-box" im like d00d wtf you didnt even fukn look. Needless to say i did buy it for my ps2 cuz im off work waiting to go for knee surgery so i need something to keep me sane.

Honestly, ever since the merger it seems like every employee is a pompous douche and not helpful. The stores also seem to be a lot more disorganized, more so than they ever were.

Yes, I too miss FuncoLand. The people that worked their were always nice and willing to help.

The used games are hardly ever used priced. They are usually the highest priced when it comes to all of their stuff, compared to other stores as well.

As for customer service, I've never had a problem with it. Most stores don't let you return opened games. They even let you return PC games. Yeah, they only give you in-store credit, but that's still a good policy. I've done this before the merger however, so the return policy may have changed or it may be different from other stores.

Oh yeah, and the credit they give you towards the games you trade-in rediculous. Why would I accept $2 for a game I know is at least $10 and could sell to someone such as a friend or on ebay for that much or more?

this is why i left future shop in canada because all they cared about is numbers and making us stock boys work like crazy for ###### pay, also i shop at eb and its pretty good here in canada.

I am against the trade in value.... I remember when I picked up Madden 06... a friend of mine bought it on release day and ended up trading it in a day or two later... EB was going to give $40 or $45 for the brand new $60 game... and then they were selling the used game for $55.... I know they need to make money off of the deal... but to screw someone over like that kills me...the game was 2 days old...

• 1 month later...

Hey, everybody. I work at EB Games (just on the retail level), and am thinking about drafting a letter to the higher-ups to voice some complaints I have about how the company is run.

I enjoy selling games to people, but I know that EB Games/Gamestop does not have a good reputation online. I want to know what sorts of things bug you about the chain, and what sorts of things you'd like to see happen in the store.

Although I believe that there are a number of problems with the way things work on the floor level, I think the worst has got to be the focus on numbers rather than customer service. I want to see what I can do to make people feel good about their experiences shopping at EB Games/Gamestop.

Thanks!

From the website

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/returnpolicy.asp, the

return policy states that:

"Items may be returned by taking them to an EB

Games/GameStop store location in the United States.

Items returned to an EB Games/GameStop store location

must be accompanied by the original packing list."

Before I go to the store, I called the customer

service at 1-800-883-8895 and confirmed that I can

return unopened/factory sealed items. However when I get to the store

the manager refuses to take the merchandise back.

This experience tells me that the company does not have any control on the store and

the policy is not followed as it is posted.

I go to Gamestop. The one near me is great. The only trouble with it is this big guy that works there who constantly bugs the customers as they walk in. I know you all are suppossed to ask "Could I help you with anything?" and stuff like that. This guy will ask that and I always say "I'm just looking around" or "No thanks man, already know what I'm looking for and where it is", but the guy still follows people around and constantly bugs them.

I've had words with the guy on more than a few occasions because he wouldn't leave my girlfriend alone and it once got physical when he layed his hand on her back as we came in once and she told him not to touch her and he walked away and called her a bitch. So naturally as the boyfriend, I asked "What did you just call her?" and Mr. Badass denied saying anything then wanted to push me. So he went flying into the xbox 360 display boxes by the window. He actually tried to charge me for damage done to the empty boxes :laugh: . Just laughed and said "I don't think so. How about we get the cops involved and they can take a look at the surveilance footage of you getting physical first? Or me and you can take this outside right now and I'll lay you out or I'll stand by while my girlfriend does it. She looks small, but she can take you down in 2 seconds" He didn't really have a reply. He just walked away looking stupid while everyone was staring at him and talking about him :laugh: Hasn't bothered us since and I'm not the only person who has ever pushed or punched the guy. Why he's still there I have no clue.

I used to love going to EB Games, but they don't carry any of the older games like they used to. I have pretty much every system made in the last 15 years and I like to buy the games every once in a while and they were always good on carrying games you couldn't find anywhere else. They got rid of all that a few years ago. You can tell by walking in that they don't get as much business now like they did a few years ago when they had a little of everything, old and new.

The ebgames near me doesn't even take pc games anymore... only console =[.

Australia have EB Stores all over here as well. I went to the one near me and found that they did a massive christmas clear out sale. There were gamers everywhere, mostly teen boys. I bought some used xbox games and a PC game while they were low in price. 3 xbox games for $55. The PC game was Quake 4 for $40 new copy (never opened). And god damn it when I opened the Quake 4 package to find it had 4 CD instead of a DVD :(

My local EB is a disappointment. I'm a PC Gamer and there is little point in going there vs. going to Best buy Or circuit city. The pc games all sit on a shoddy little shelf, un-organized, boxes are ratty. It upsets me greatly, because EB is simply turning into Console Priority which ticks me off. My circuit City or Best buy has much more selection and a far nicer presentation.

My local EB is a disappointment. I'm a PC Gamer and there is little point in going there vs. going to Best buy Or circuit city. The pc games all sit on a shoddy little shelf, un-organized, boxes are ratty. It upsets me greatly, because EB is simply turning into Console Priority which ticks me off. My circuit City or Best buy has much more selection and a far nicer presentation.

i agree. my local gamestop/ebgames is the same way. all of the console games are nice and organized and there is a great selection of console games. but once you find the pc games which is hard to do, the selection is horrible. they are all scattered about and take up only a little corner of the store. it was not always like this though. the ebgames used to have a very nice selection of games but now it is just terrible.

• 4 months later...

Old-RaiseThem.jpg

They tried to sell me FEAR pre-owned (EB GAMES) for $98!!.. Brand new was $110!!... I went to JB Hi-Fi and bought it for $44!!

JB Hi-Fi is awesome, I'm never going to EB again :)

Edited by EchoNoise

I've not had any problems in my dealings with EBGames, but that's not to discourage you from writing this letter - I'm just putting it out there.

-Spenser