[NHL] IIHF study backs up Don Cherry

IIHF study backs up Cherry's beliefs

WILLIAM HOUSTON

Don Cherry said it first.

And now a study by the International Ice Hockey Federation appears to vindicate the Hockey Night In Canada commentator who's been saying for years there are too many Europeans playing hockey in North America.

"Funny how things come around isn't it?" said Cherry Thursday.

The IIHF study found that the majority of Europeans drafted by National Hockey League clubs between 2000 and 2006 did not make an impact either at the professional or minor-pro level. It says those jobs should have been filled by Canadians and Americans.

Much the same has been asserted by Cherry, who has come under fire for arguing Europeans receive preferential treatment in North American hockey.

"My opinions may not be popular," he said. "They're not politically correct. They say I shouldn't say them. But it's the truth."

Cherry, who says he has never agreed with the IIHF before, feels he has first-hand knowledge of a bias against Canadian players.

"That's what really upset me," said Cherry, alluding to his time a few years ago as part owner and manager of the Mississauga Ice Dogs junior team. "You have all these Canadian kids who are working their asses off, just trying to get drafted. And they were passed over for guys that are Europeans. The Canadians were just as good. It boggled by my mind."

The IIHF contends that the flow of players to North America is depleting hockey in Europe.

For his part, Cherry feels Europeans don't develop well in North America for reasons that include cultural differences and language.

He cites the example of forward Igor Radulov, who was with the Ice Dogs in 2001-02. He's presently playing in Russia after failing several years ago to earn a spot with the Chicago Blackhawks.

"You could just see him going downhill, down and down," Cherry said. "If he had remained in Russia, I'm sure he'd be in the NHL now."

Cherry says junior operators and NHL management give Europeans special treatment because they spend extra money to acquire their rights.

"They don't have anything invested in an Canadian. So, who do you think makes the club?

"I've seen it in junior hockey. They bring them over. They've paid $3,000 for the flight. They buy them suits, where our kids get nothing.

"They've got this money invested. If he can't play, do you think they're going to send him back? Never.

"That used to drive me nuts."

Cherry says the argument that Europeans need experience in North American hockey to become comfortable with the NHL is no longer valid.

"Let's face it, the hockey we have now is now more European than ever. You really don't have to come over here any more to get toughened up. Except for the odd game, you're seeing a lot of European hockey being played."

Cherry says he's in favour of the best European players coming to North America.

"Anybody who says I wouldn't want players like (Evgeni) Malkin or (Alex) Ovechkin, they're nuts. I think Ovechkin is probably the most exciting player in the league. But when I see teams drafting guys who are never going to make it, it just ticks me off."

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

The new NHL is for babies, its like basketball going back and forth so quickly plus theres hardly any room for big enforcers and muscle guys. Get those europeans outta here and give me back my hockey :p

Don Cherry for Prime Minister? I'd vote. :p (Y)

Edited by Co_Co

I don't buy it. Team owners don't draft people because they like where they are from. They don't draft people because they don't like Canada or the US. Hockey clubs are run like a business, everything is done with money in mind. If they are drafting Europeans it's because they will take less money or even they think that if they bring them over here, they are more likely to take less money later on rather than having to go home. There could be a lot of reason but I don't believe for one second it's just because they are European like Don Cherry want's to make it sound like.

I don't buy it. Team owners don't draft people because they like where they are from. They don't draft people because they don't like Canada or the US. Hockey clubs are run like a business, everything is done with money in mind. If they are drafting Europeans it's because they will take less money or even they think that if they bring them over here, they are more likely to take less money later on rather than having to go home. There could be a lot of reason but I don't believe for one second it's just because they are European like Don Cherry want's to make it sound like.

I think the point was that if they draft a European 24th overall that they tend to invest more in him then if they sign a North American 20th overall. Why? Because NHL clubs have to pay a fee to the IIHF for European players and once they start to throw money at them they feel they have a responsibility to ensure that they do well. That means even more money gets spent on them.

It isn't investment, it's about potential. A lot of Europeans have amazing potential, and GMs are willing to take gambles on that, especially in later rounds when there aren't as many sure things.