November Desktops

As I?ve just got vista thought I would post my first desktop, got fed up of the sidebar already.. not found any practical use for it yet!

1stvistadesktopvk9.th.jpg

Visual Style: Vista Default

Icons: Vista Default

Wallpaper: In The Lake (see below)

inthelakebr1.th.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen...the future.

What we have here is the latest development branch of AeroShell (yes it's been restarted), WindowsXP (WindowBlinds using HilledSE, of course), and the latest and greatest from the andLinux Project featuring Xubuntu Edgy updated and with pretty much all of the important Gnome applications already apt-gotten and running flawlessly.

For anyone who does not know about andLinux, it's a way to get Linux running alongside Windows as an application. It is not virtualization -- instead, it runs cooperatively using internal networking and a very well-done 'port of the X Window System called Xming. I'm still exploring how far the interoperability can go, but it's pretty vast so far. WindowBlinds even skins it. :happy:

I'm not ready to call it a "Hybrid Operating System", because it's not .... but it's sure given me the best of both worlds. XFCE on Windows. It almost makes me cry with how cool it is. Just remember that all of this is VERY alpha stuff -- bleeding "edge" (no pun intended) even -- but it's time to get the word out about coLinux and andLinux.

Anyway, enjoy !

[EDIT]: Screenshot fixed.

Yes. I'm still researching on getting Gnome proper going. So far it seems that anything that tries to mess with the display configuration in Xubuntu will cause the entire system to hose. Gnome applications, mostly (couple of exceptions but nothing that I can't deal with) work great without issue. Just before making the post I was using Nautilus to browse my storage drive and do some cleanup. :D

It's really an out-of-body experience using apt-get on Windows. :yes:

[EDIT] Oh, and everyone who wants to have a try at this -- please consider donating to the andLinux and coLinux projects. Those people really have put their hearts into it and they need some help with things. :happy:

Edited by GZT