why did i feel this way after hitting my knee?

this morning i was in a computer lab and when i turned in my chair to face the computer i hit my knee on the desk really hard..

besides making a loud noise... IT HURT LIKE HELL!!! :cry:

OMFG!!! I WANTED TO YELL, CURSE, AND BREAK THE DESK...

BUT, since there were people i didn't want to do that and i just had to hold it in.. the pain lasted forever and i just put my head down and just waited it out.

but then all of the sudden i felt nauseous and dizzy.. i felt like that for a good half hour.. and now i've got this nice red spot on my knee..

why would you feel like that? i thought it was weird.

Just a shock to the system. I've actually passed out from hitting my elbow so hard on some lead pipe that was sticking out of the wall before. Some people don't react this way, but I definitely do.

I'm kinda the same. If I stop myself from screaming in agony, I find the pain dumbs down, but I feel disorientated and I can't concentrate on anything for at least 15 minutes.

I believe it's caused by the rush of blood to the head, sort of like if you get out of bed or stand up super quick. It's the body's natural reaction to send blood to an area of the body that has been traumatized or injured (like your knee) and it probably caused a decrease in blood flow to your head. Since the brain is the most important, and most greedy, organ in the body, it says "Hey, give me the blood back" and then a rush goes toward your head. The reason your knee is red is the inflammtion/swelling process of the vessels dilating to provide warmth to the area.

I remember my sister a few years back during Thanksgiving had hit her elbow on the car in front of my house. About 10 minutes later, she fainted. Because she was standing up the whole time, she deprived her brain of blood since it was rushed toward her elbow, and the body just shuts down when the brain is starving for oxygen (blood flow). Some people it affects more than others, for whatever reason.

...but I ain't no doctor.

Was it that pure stinging like **** sensation?

I get it all the time when I bang my knee at jujitsu, usually get a nasty bruise to go with it as well. I have realised that if I keep doing this to my knee then I will have some serious problems with it in later life, so I am generally more careful now at jujitsu.

i used to see the physical therapist 2 times a week for 6 months straight last year... same knee problem, they couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. took x-ray and ct scan, couldn't find ****..

I'm normally a very laid-back, level-headed guy, but once in a while if I feel a really strong, sharp pain like this it just makes me instantly violent, lol. It's like I instantly want to punch someone in the face while shrieking profanity without thinking. Oh yeah, video games also give me this reaction once in a while :p (the violence, I mean. Not the dizziness, lol!)

Had something like that happen about 2 weeks ago. felt the same way. ended up getting a cool rag on my forehead and laying on the couch for an hour. been right as rain ever since.

I believe it's caused by the rush of blood to the head, sort of like if you get out of bed or stand up super quick. It's the body's natural reaction to send blood to an area of the body that has been traumatized or injured (like your knee) and it probably caused a decrease in blood flow to your head. Since the brain is the most important, and most greedy, organ in the body, it says "Hey, give me the blood back" and then a rush goes toward your head. The reason your knee is red is the inflammtion/swelling process of the vessels dilating to provide warmth to the area.

I remember my sister a few years back during Thanksgiving had hit her elbow on the car in front of my house. About 10 minutes later, she fainted. Because she was standing up the whole time, she deprived her brain of blood since it was rushed toward her elbow, and the body just shuts down when the brain is starving for oxygen (blood flow). Some people it affects more than others, for whatever reason.

...but I ain't no doctor.

no offence, but that really sounds like a lot of bull **** to me :p

Its weird. If i bump my head or hurt my hand, i just curse. But if its toes, knees or elbows, I explode with rage.

:rofl: "explode with rage" i think we all do that..

how about getting your big toe nail getting ripped off?

you know stupid plastic mats with those super sharp pointy things on the underside? well that thing was stapled to the carpet except for this one piece that was sticking up and there i was, running full speed when my foot caught in that gap and the little pointy thing ripped the nail off.

first five seconds you're like.. "oh ****... wtf just happened... *blood* oh ****, ****, this is going to hurt, ****"

*pain comes in*

AHHHHHHHHHH MOTHER ****ER! SON OF A BITCH! GOD DAMN ****ING PLATIC ****. AHHHHHHHHH **** **** **** ****. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.. )*(@#$&*(@#$^!*&@^()*&.

*socks completely soaked in blood*

heh.. this is kind of cool.. get a camera!

**** IT STILL HURTS>>!!!!!!!L@#*($&.. ****>> OMG>> WTF.

it grew back normally after a few weeks.

That was god punishing you for being careless :)

i am god.

no offence, but that really sounds like a lot of bull **** to me :p

:) Really? I think it makes sense, but that's just me.

Think about when someone has been out in the heat for a long period of time. Their vessels are constricting (the opposite of what's happening here) to allow for cooling. A lot of people experience dizziness and light-headedness when this happens, and it's because you are constricting blood flow to the brain. When that happens, it tells the heart to pump faster so it can get more blood. Same thing when it dilates after hitting your knee or banging your elbow, not to mention the effect that has on the nervous system.

Or, maybe it's like deja vu and can't really be explained. :blush:

this morning i was in a computer lab and when i turned in my chair to face the computer i hit my knee on the desk really hard..

besides making a loud noise... IT HURT LIKE HELL!!! :cry:

OMFG!!! I WANTED TO YELL, CURSE, AND BREAK THE DESK...

BUT, since there were people i didn't want to do that and i just had to hold it in.. the pain lasted forever and i just put my head down and just waited it out.

but then all of the sudden i felt nauseous and dizzy.. i felt like that for a good half hour.. and now i've got this nice red spot on my knee..

why would you feel like that? i thought it was weird.

why don't you ask a professional or go see the school nurse..im sure most grade schools have them

:) Really? I think it makes sense, but that's just me.

Think about when someone has been out in the heat for a long period of time. Their vessels are constricting (the opposite of what's happening here) to allow for cooling. A lot of people experience dizziness and light-headedness when this happens, and it's because you are constricting blood flow to the brain. When that happens, it tells the heart to pump faster so it can get more blood. Same thing when it dilates after hitting your knee or banging your elbow, not to mention the effect that has on the nervous system.

Or, maybe it's like deja vu and can't really be explained. :blush:

I also thought it sounded like rubbish :p But you are right about the brain being greedy - to the tune of 22% of your calories.

When you are too hot the vessels in your skin will dilate, not contrict. The idea is that increased blood flow to your skin will allow heat to escape. I think. It constricts when you are cold to preserve heat. Would explain why cold skin pale and warm skin = bright pink.

I think the nauseusness and dizzyness etc were caused by adrenaline and/or noradrenaline being released (due to the stress of the pain). I'm not sure which, but one of those causes all the blood to leave your digestive system and be focused on your limbs.

(The digestive system requires alot of energy and therefore oxygen (and blood). However, it won't help you to escape a dangerous situation and can be temporarily ignored while resources are diverted to the limbs and brain etc.)

can't be bothered with that.. ^

i've hit my knee plenty of time before, but this was the worst hit which is probably why i felt like i did. but i think i got what i was looking for.. blood rushing to my knee...

next time i'm watching where my knees go.