Fifa Proposes Limit on Foreigners

Fifa will propose a limit on the number of foreigners who can play for a club and are also set to give players an official voice in decision-making.

World football's governing body has joined forces with international players' association FifPro in order to tackle the problems facing the sport.

Their proposal is the implementation of a six plus five system, whereby six members of a side must be homegrown.

The two bodies will also look at racism corruption, betting and doping issues.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter described the signing of the agreement between the two organisations as a "historic day" for football.

SOURCE

I think its a good idea tho some teams are gonna be stumped to find 6 decent homegrown players. :wacko:

It is good but then it isin't good. Look at the Arsenal team and then tell me if it is good or not. Some of the other teams also have less than 5 homegrown players in the team. So it could work and it could not.

I think it is a good idea for the future of football, especially on the international scene. It would mean that clubs invest more money, and give more chances to the youth players in the team, which will of course be good for football.

As Crazysah said, Arsenal will struggle. They have two English players don't they? Justin Hoyte, and Theo Walcott?

Edited by Martyn

I thought 'homegrown' is classified as a player who has played for the club for at least 3 years by the age of 21. So players like Fabregas who has been at Arsenal since Sept 03 and is now 19 would count as homegrown. Either way I think it's a nice idea in theory but would ruin the premiership, think about how much better it's been since more foreigners have joined and if we want the best English players they should be playing with the best players in the world, English or not. Bad idea IMO.

As a British Rugby League fan I can vouch for the effectiveness of such a system. We have had one in place now for many years and the improvement in player developement is starting to show through, the international team has seen most of the improvements as the quality of players available to choose from has increased significantly. The number of foreign players allowed in an RL team is significantly lower than 5 though, even though there are more players on the team. What next? a Premier League Salary cap, for chelsea's sake I hope not...

I like this idea. This will force many teams to look at their own backyard for some talent instead of going to other countries.

Looks like Italian teams won't have trouble since most of their players in the league are Italian.

no it sucks, we all know majority of english players are pile of ****.

Steve Gerrard Gerrard,

He'll pass the ball forty yards,

He's big and he's ****ing hard,

Steve Gerrard Gerrard,

:)

Steve Gerrard Gerrard,

He'll pass the ball forty yards,

He's big and he's ****ing hard,

Steve Gerrard Gerrard,

:)

You know after the cup final of this year I hate Stephen Gerrard but he has a point :rolleyes:

It's a good idea but you have to slowy implement the idea in to football, You can't just slam such a limit in european games. Best start would be Carling Cup - FA Cup, Premiership - European Cups.

Tell you the truth i think it can also be damaging to some players and countrys. For instance not all african countrys and eastern european countrys have a country like some of the western europeans where they are safer.

Ah well Pompey would be ok, we got 7 english players in our best line up.