Zune Software fails to install

Am I the only person who just cannot get the Zune software to install? I'm trying to put it on my fiancee's parents computer for her brother, it's running XP SP2 with every possible update, and it just gets to the end and says the install cannot be completed.

I've run it from the CD, the download from MS, and using Microsoft Update which says there is a Zune 1.1. I run that and it looks like it completes but no icons ever show up, search reveals no Zune program, and the update just keeps coming back.

At first I thought it was the anti-virus freaking it out, so I removed it. I've stipped every other possible program off this system that isn't "essential" and about 10 minutes away from blowing it away and installing XP over again.

Hm. Mine installed quick and easy on the first try. Just skip the update part, and it will update on its own AFTER it is fully installed. I know MS couldn't worked on this better, but doesn't seem all that troublesome to me...

I got fed up after fiddling with it for a few hours. I'll go back to their house tomorrow and start with a fresh Windows install.

Hm. Mine installed quick and easy on the first try. Just skip the update part, and it will update on its own AFTER it is fully installed. I know MS couldn't worked on this better, but doesn't seem all that troublesome to me...

:huh:

With me, once it finds no Zune updates, it takes away my "Next" button.

I finally got it to install after formatting, installing XP, and running the install on a fresh image.

Now I have to rebuild the system and put everything back together, but the Zune works :p

I still want of these for myself, but I'll have to wait until the Vista patch.

How do I skip it? In my case this was what happened: It took like 5-10 minutes finding for updates, after that it passed to the next part and started the installation part. After getting to 100% it stopped and then after 5 minutes it told me that there was an error. Is this the thing that is happening to the others and is ^this^ the solution?

Call Zune, that's what I did. It wouldn't install on one of the laptops we use (I have no idea why).. I believe it had to do something with Windows Media Player 11.. Can't remember

It's 1-877-GET-ZUNE

they're open 9 am to 1 am EST

Call Zune, that's what I did. It wouldn't install on one of the laptops we use (I have no idea why).. I believe it had to do something with Windows Media Player 11.. Can't remember

It's 1-877-GET-ZUNE

they're open 9 am to 1 am EST

Too late. Besides, I don't do help desks :p

If you can't install WMP11 AND you can't install Zune, I can likely help with that. But I don't know if that would be any of you here. Things that block the Windows Media 11 Format Runtime from installing would block Zune too, and that's an area where I can probably help. =\

Am I the only person who just cannot get the Zune software to install? I'm trying to put it on my fiancee's parents computer for her brother, it's running XP SP2 with every possible update, and it just gets to the end and says the install cannot be completed.

I've run it from the CD, the download from MS, and using Microsoft Update which says there is a Zune 1.1. I run that and it looks like it completes but no icons ever show up, search reveals no Zune program, and the update just keeps coming back.

Let me tell you a little story. My old 3rd gen ipod broke last week so I decided "hey lets try out the zune" especially because I wanted a radio tuner as my Ipod had essentially functioned as the hub of my cars music (It directly connected to my pioneer head unit's auxiliary input and the sound was beautiful)

I decided to buy a zune and upon getting it home I was quite happy...that is until I tried to use the software. First off I could not get the software to run in windows vista at all which I consider wholly unacceptable that MS wants to push Zune and Vista yet they would not work together regardless of what I tried. I gave up and rebooted into windows xp sp2 and got the software to install without a hitch (unlike many people my install went flawless)

Upon trying to load music to my zune sometimes it would work, sometimes the program would just crash to the desktop, and sometimes it would say the song made it onto the Zune, however when trying to find the music on my Zune it was nowhere to be found...

I have since sold my Zune and replaced with with a "less feature filled" Ipod 30gb Video...Quite frankly I am not happy that I had to "downgrade" back to an Ipod due to there are quite a few features of the zune I liked, however MS's software issues with the player are UNACCEPTABLE. These aren't even rare issues, these are happening to the majority of people who have bought the device which reeks of absolutely no widespread testing of their software.

If MS ever releases working software or if a 3rd party comes out with software I might sell my Ipod and go back to a Zune, but until then MS has failed to bring a usable product to the marketplace and I believe they should be re-imbursing all the Zune owners somehow for the headaches this device has caused.

Whats even more ridiculous is that the Zune is really nothing new, its software and hardware aren't anything new in the realm of MP3 players and many players using the WMC software are currently around and work just fine (even in windows vista)....yet MS can't get their own software (Zune's software) to work with thier own OS (WMC) .....sad is the only thing that can describe it

I personally dislike the iPod so even with the troubles the Zune has I'd buy it for myself before I'd buy an iPod.

Hey Marshalus, have you been able to install the Zune software yet? Anyone else that knows a solution?

Hey Marshalus, have you been able to install the Zune software yet? Anyone else that knows a solution?

C:\> format c:

It needed it anyway :D

After must digging around my machine, I discovered a solution and typed up a (hopefully) user-proof set of instructions:

Problem:

The software on the Microsoft Zune CD, downloaded from the Zune website, or from Windows Update fails after reaching 95%

Why:

In: %temp%\ZuneInstall.log ("C:\Documents and Settings\AccountName\Local Settings\Temp\ZuneInstall.log" for example)

"MSI (s) (10:98) [16:15:12:109]: Product: Zune -- Error 1317. An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\Documents and

Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music"

Open "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents" ("C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents" for example)

Receive "Access Denied" error

Solution:

(XP Pro and Windows 2000)

-As "Administrator"

(XP Pro only)

-Open "My Computer" > click "Tools" menu item > click "Folder Options" menu item > click "View" tab

-In "Advanced Settings" list box > uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" check box > click "OK" button

(XP Pro and Windows 2000)

-Open "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\" ("C:\Documents and Settings\" for example)

-Right click "All Users" folder > click "Properties" context menu item > click "Security" tab

-In "Group or user names:" list box > click "Administrators" > In "Permissions for Administrators" list box > check "Full Control" (if not checked)

-Click "Advanced" button > check "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" (XP Pro) or

"Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions" (Windows 2000)

-Click "OK" button > click "Yes" button > wait for completion > click "OK" button (closes "All Users Properties" dialog box)

-Install "Zune" software

(XP Pro only) Reenable "Simple File Sharing":

-Open "My Computer" > click "Tools" menu item > click "Folder Options" menu item > click "View" tab

-In "Advanced Settings" list box > check "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" check box > click "OK" button

Does WMP11 install correctly to your machine?

What region/locale is your machine set to?

Is it an MCE box?

Does %temp%\ZuneInstall.log have any failure data?