720 vs 1080

Wasn't sure where to put this but I am looking to get a 32" HD LCD, and I'm unsure on if a TV doesn't have 1080 does it matter at 32" as all I can see is 720p.

I want to use this with Xbox360 and (UK) NTL/Virgin Media HD Cable.

From what I understand you need at least a 40" TV to take advantage of 1080P.

Ahh so 720p is true HD then just the resolution for smaller sizes? Just i dont want to fork out the money and find out I will need 1080 in the future or its not as good quality.

Ahh so 720p is true HD then just the resolution for smaller sizes? Just i dont want to fork out the money and find out I will need 1080 in the future or its not as good quality.

Digital-HDTV:

• 720p - 1280x720 progressive
  • 1080i - 1920x1080 interlaced
  • 1080p - 1920x1080 progressive

1080p is more detailed then 720p but with a smaller set it would definitely be less noticeable. 720p is still HD and still looks nice. I still have yet to see a 1080p screen in action only 720p/1080i.

1080p is more detailed then 720p but with a smaller set it would definitely be less noticeable. 720p is still HD and still looks nice. I still have yet to see a 1080p screen in action only 720p/1080i.

a BB in my area had a Blu ray player on a 40" LCD running 1080p.... ::in Borat's voice:: wowwee!

as mentioned earlier though... 1080p really only shines on the bigger screens.

a BB in my area had a Blu ray player on a 40" LCD running 1080p.... ::in Borat's voice:: wowwee!

I believe that's "wowaweewa" :p

On a more serious note, you can certainly input a 1080p signal to your TV but you need a TV that supports 1920x1080 resolution in order to actually display the signal.

We had the Samsung Blu-Ray player hooked upto a 40" Samsung 1080p, it was spectacular! :|

FullHD is 1080p nothing else. And the "FullHD" is a marketing name that Sony stick to their 1080p TV. I'm not sure if other brand use the "FullHD" name.

But HDTV can be 720p, 1080i or 1080p. If your TV can only do 720p, everything above that will be downscaled to 720p. You will loose some details, but it's not that bad.

And 1080 on a 32" HDTV would be, IMO, pointless because the set is too small to see all the details anyway.

Well, I output a 1080i signal from my HD sat receiver to my LCD (which is 720p native), and I like it better than the 720 output. That's more of a subjective thing, I think.

Actually, it's going to probably come down to the comparison of the scaler in the sat. box and the TV set. Most TV's are going to have better scalers than the cable/sat boxes will, so letting the TV do the scaling work will usually yield better results.

Actually, it's going to probably come down to the comparison of the scaler in the sat. box and the TV set. Most TV's are going to have better scalers than the cable/sat boxes will, so letting the TV do the scaling work will usually yield better results.

That was one of my reasons.