Mac or PC?

Well I know its the same thing bit the 17" macbook Pro is a waste of space. the HP has more to offer to take advantage of the extra space. As for those new laptops, it seems funny to release new versons 2-3 months after a revision on the dv8000. ( now dv9000 but alright...

I'll get back to you on that tomorow, Just wanted to say my 2 centss about the first part of ur responce. thanks for helping me btw...

No problem. I don't want you to be easily influenced by what you see. Buying a notebook is not as clear cut as buying a desktop. There are several factors that need to be considered before even contemplating about getting a notebook. A few of my friends have already suffered when they bought something expensive and premium when they really didn't need it in the first place.

As to your question, why do you say the 17" Macbook Pro is a waste of space :blink: ? They both have the same screen resolution give or take and when it comes to making icons displayed just right, it's Mac OSX that does it well not the other way around. See a Macbook 17" and 17" notebook to really see the difference.

Scirwode

No problem. I don't want you to be easily influenced by what you see. Buying a notebook is not as clear cut as buying a desktop. There are several factors that need to be considered before even contemplating about getting a notebook. A few of my friends have already suffered when they bought something expensive and premium when they really didn't need it in the first place.

As to your question, why do you say the 17" Macbook Pro is a waste of space :blink: ? They both have the same screen resolution give or take and when it comes to making icons displayed just right, it's Mac OSX that does it well not the other way around. See a Macbook 17" and 17" notebook to really see the difference.

Scirwode

Well, not just the screen, just wasted space on the keyboard deck. foir for being 6.5 LBS and with those demtions, it eems a bit of a over kill,.

Definitely go for the Mac. At least if you come across something that requires Windows, you can install Windows either as a separate partition or through Parallels. And of course, the Mac software equivalents tend to be more efficient than their Windows counterparts (except for Firefox, of course)!

And oh, if you do get the Mac, I strongly recommend getting the Apple Wireless Mouse (or even the Wireless Mighty Mouse) with it as you'll be way more efficient that way.

I'll see what MacWorld has in store. I don't think they will update the HP laptops for another year. (The dv8000 came out in fall 2005, and fall 2006 we saw the dv9000)

• 1 month later...

Also, I came down to this, and may be you can help me on this....

If I do get a mac, i'll run bootcamp with mac OSX and XP MCE 2005 ( i have a OEM copy, I got from a family friend, who's a huge computer wiz) I'll install that, but then could i upgrade my XP partion on the mac to vista? or will that not be an option?

as for my main software (ie; office, etc) i'll just use the windows side for that, rather then get the mac verson... save money...

Go for a mac, you should be able to do everything under OS X and you will probably find you like it. If you need something on the Windows side install boot camp and install windows. It is very nice to be able to have both.

Also, I came down to this, and may be you can help me on this....

If I do get a mac, i'll run bootcamp with mac OSX and XP MCE 2005 ( i have a OEM copy, I got from a family friend, who's a huge computer wiz) I'll install that, but then could i upgrade my XP partion on the mac to vista? or will that not be an option?

as for my main software (ie; office, etc) i'll just use the windows side for that, rather then get the mac verson... save money...

Yeah Definitely, You can delete that XP partition on OS X, and then go to bootcamp and create a whole need XP partition and install Vista on it.

Right Now, I am running Vista RTM Ultimate and it's perfect, Glass, and the speed is awesome. I also installed 30day trial of Office 07 and it's FAST :woot:

yes, but none of you answered my question. If I do get a mac, and do boot camp with OSX and windows, could I upgrade the XP paetion to vista?

Yes you can.

Yes. Why you would want to, I don't know.

best of both worlds.. mac OSX with vista ultimate..... you see, i don't want to switch 100%. I still want windows, but also want mac. and like i said, all my major apps i'll use the windows side for. like office etc.

-

The best choice for you is the Mac book Pro. A nice big screen, and a dedicated Video card, your good to go, it's as good as the other PC laptops. Go ahead and get the Mac. You can even set it to start Windows automatically instead of OS X.

I'm really happy with my purchase of my Mac Book, except the discoloration that is going on now. I plan on taking it to a apple store next week. I don't play games except Flight Simulator so it works for me.

I'm pretty sure that it has to be XP SP2 Home or Pro. I don't think an OEM disc will work either.

This is what the Boot Camp beta instructions say:

?Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later.Important:i> You must use a single-disc, full install Windows XP CD that includes Service Pack 2. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows XP, and you cannot install and earlier version of Windows XP and upgrade it later to SP2. Do not use Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

When Leopard comes out there will probably be a new version of Bootcamp too that supports Vista. But in the meantime you can indeed only use XP SP2 and I too have my doubts about OEM versions.

A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

I'm pretty sure that it has to be XP SP2 Home or Pro. I don't think an OEM disc will work either.

This is what the Boot Camp beta instructions say:

?Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later.Important:i> You must use a single-disc, full install Windows XP CD that includes Service Pack 2. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows XP, and you cannot install and earlier version of Windows XP and upgrade it later to SP2. Do not use Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

my guess XP MCE 05 counts, because you can't just buy a copy in stores. I was lucky to have a tech friend, who has been in the computer inderstery for over 20 years to get me my disc that is for my laptop... BUT, it's just the OS ( so it can be installed on any mechine, drivers are on a seprate disc,) So i don't know.

My advice for PC buyers: get a quality motherboard. It makes all the difference. Every time I've encountered someone bitching about PC reliability, it has been because they've gotten a cheap machine and the thing keeps screwing up. Big surprise!

My advice for PC buyers: get a quality motherboard. It makes all the difference. Every time I've encountered someone bitching about PC reliability, it has been because they've gotten a cheap machine and the thing keeps screwing up. Big surprise!

I'll second this. Digging back into my PC experience, I can definitely say that a flaky mobo can cause any number of problems. Messed up voltages can cause heat issues, a bad mobo can cause damage to other devices, the list goes on.

Good point, Cons.

Its the persons choice really people can say that PC is better etc.. but in the end its up to you.

Personally I have both, and i chose my Mac over my PC by a long shot, want a reason?.. its very simple.. Using mac it makes using the computer more entertaining, just the way the windows minimize to the dock is one reason i chose Mac over PC, Then there is Expose' which is very usefull you berly use the minimize button since there are 3 ways to maintain your windows, and i also found another new one which lets you grab all the windows and put it in a neat box on your desktop, its kind of like pressing Windows key D but for OS X using Expose'. I love how everything in OS X is smooth, The Dock is great for launching programs. My Favorite thing using a mac is the shortcut keys where you can hide all windows, open draws...etc.

The only downside to OS X is that it still does not have Audio/ Video chat on Adium.

In Windows i find it flat out boring, the effects in Windows make your PC feel slower, The programs windows has are the only good thing, you can make Windows look (but not act) like a mac.. many users download dock apps, then modify there visual style / Windowblinds theme, but you will never get it to work like a mac, the smoothness in fonts in themes will not even be close at all.

Best idea Buy a Mac and grab Bootcamp (its free) there you can have 2 OS of your choice, and if you want to experiment why not install Linux to :p

These are my personal thoughts on the 2 systems, I am not trolling or anything i am just giving you advice on what i think about the systems. Like i said at the start, in the end its all up to you.